3rd year elective rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeliness

hi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just curious to hear what others are doing for their 3rd year elective rotations (and internal medicine sub-internship), and what your reasoning is for choosing that.
I am interested in EM, as well as some other things like possibly gen surg or who knows what. Basically, no clue exactly what I want to do so I don't really know what electives to choose.

I'll go first though, I've been thinking of doing an EM rotation and a neuro rotation. Apparently my school will let me do neuro for my IM3 rotation so I don't know what I'll choose for my second elective.

I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do an elective in something you're interested in, but not at a place you would rank number 1. You are likely going to suck bad, so you're not going to impress anyone. You will, however,mget exposed to the field, which will help you decide if you like it or not. That's what I did, at least.

Anyway, radiology, anesthesia and pathology are easy electives if you just want a relaxed month.

Hey all, just curious to hear what others are doing for their 3rd year elective rotations (and internal medicine sub-internship), and what your reasoning is for choosing that.
I am interested in EM, as well as some other things like possibly gen surg or who knows what. Basically, no clue exactly what I want to do so I don't really know what electives to choose.

I'll go first though, I've been thinking of doing an EM rotation and a neuro rotation. Apparently my school will let me do neuro for my IM3 rotation so I don't know what I'll choose for my second elective.

I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Dudeliness! What's up man? Haven't seen you around here for a while. How many 3rd year electives do you get at your school?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 electives, but I found I can also do something like neurology for my IM3 rotation as I had mentioned before. So kind of 3 overall.
I may have an EM rotation lined up, and am working on getting one at an Air Force base (I'm AF HPSP).
How about you?

Planning EM and Neuro for electives. Cards or GI for IM3. I would like to fit a Rads in there, but it'll really depend on if I decide to do Neuro in 4th year or not.

Still trying to set up everything though.

Reactions: 1 user
2 electives, but I found I can also do something like neurology for my IM3 rotation as I had mentioned before. So kind of 3 overall.
I may have an EM rotation lined up, and am working on getting one at an Air Force base (I'm AF HPSP).
How about you?

We get one 3rd year elective and one "rural rotation" that can be in almost any specialty and honestly isn't always that rural, so it essentially serves as another elective. We have two IM rotations third year, one preceptor-based and the other one ward-based. I'm pretty sure they both have to be in general IM though, as opposed to a subspecialty.

Are any of your electives before September 30? If so you may be able to do an ADT Air Force rotation rather than school orders. You can still do non -ADT rotations if not depending on location and specialty but you pay the cost.

I get two electives. I'll probably do one surgery with a doctor I know and one either family or outpatient psych since my psych rotation is inpatient with very, very sick patients.

How about you?
Sounds a lot like my school. I'm doing Correctional Medicine for my IM3 at a state prison and am really excited about it.

No 3rd year electives for me. :( Totally jealous of anyone that gets even one elective. It's almost over for me now... first elective in July (4th year) - Anesthesia at home, then after Neurology. Then a couple aways in Anesthesia.

No 3rd year electives for me. :( Totally jealous of anyone that gets even one elective. It's almost over for me now... first elective in July (4th year) - Anesthesia at home, then after Neurology. Then a couple aways in Anesthesia.
Yeah that wouldn't work for me at all!
Since I'm an air force HPSP student I have to schedule my 4th ye audition rotations pretty early in 3rd year. That would suck to schedule auditions without having been able to rotate in whatever speciality I'm interested in.

Yeah that wouldn't work for me at all!
Since I'm an air force HPSP student I have to schedule my 4th ye audition rotations pretty early in 3rd year. That would suck to schedule auditions without having been able to rotate in whatever speciality I'm interested in.
Yup. I hope to god I like Anesthesiology as much as I think I will.

Sounds a lot like my school. I'm doing Correctional Medicine for my IM3 at a state prison and am really excited about it.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that prison inmates can actually be surprisingly compliant and grateful patients. No I idea where I heard that or if it's remotely true, but I thought it was interesting.

Yup. I hope to god I like Anesthesiology as much as I think I will.

What rotations fill your 3rd year if you have no electives? You must have subspecialty selectives or something. For us its the cores plus these 2 electives, so we don't really get a ton of exposure before 4th year.

Last edited:
What rotations fill your 3rd year if you have no electives? You must have subspecialty selectives or something. For us its the cores plus these 2 electives, so we don't really get a ton of exposure before 4th year.
1 month each of: Family, PEDs (in or outpatient, or mix), Geriatrics, Gen Surgery, Psychiatry (in/out/mix), OB/GYN

1 month Rural Underserved care (Family med that you have a longer drive to)

1 month inpatient IM
+ 1 month IM Specialty which can be in/out/mix

1 month Foundations of Diagnostic medicine, which consists of online material completed from the comfort of wherever you want to be

It's brutal not having an elective and so many months of the same stuff.

Hmm, that's interesting. The only differences from my third year is that I don't have geriatrics, a second family med rotation, or the month of foundations of dx med. I do have three IM rotations (one sub specialty), a vacation month, and OMM rotation though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 month each of: Family, PEDs (in or outpatient, or mix), Geriatrics, Gen Surgery, Psychiatry (in/out/mix), OB/GYN

1 month Rural Underserved care (Family med that you have a longer drive to)

1 month inpatient IM
+ 1 month IM Specialty which can be in/out/mix

1 month Foundations of Diagnostic medicine, which consists of online material completed from the comfort of wherever you want to be

It's brutal not having an elective and so many months of the same stuff.

Honestly, you get almost the same as us. We have 3 months IM, 2 months GenSurg, 1 month FM, 1 month OB/GYN, 1 month Psych, 1 month Peds, an extra month of a general core (any of the previous ones), 2 electives, and 1 vacation, which some people use as dedicated Level/Step 1 time (we basically only have 2 weeks off otherwise for the whole of the Spring semester from Jan-May).

What do you have for the remaining 2 months of 3rd year? Do you just jump into 4th year after 10 rotations or is that part of your dedicated study?