3rd year EM rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Late Bloomer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any posts directly answering this. I'm a 3rd yr DO student looking for a EM rotation at a site with a residency so I can get a SLOE. My home site is a small rural hospital (no chance of SLOE) and I'm not scheduled to go there until 4th year. If any of you know of any AOA or ACGME hospitals that don't use VSAS and will allow 3rd years to rotate, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about SLOEs, but while looking around for elective rotations for myself for 3rd year I saw South Pointe Hospital near Cleveland has EM for 3rd years. It's an AOA program. (So far my elective research is 100% geography-based, so that's all I know about it).

I don't know about SLOEs, but while looking around for elective rotations for myself for 3rd year I saw South Pointe Hospital near Cleveland has EM for 3rd years. It's an AOA program. (So far my elective research is 100% geography-based, so that's all I know about it).
Thank you! I'm gonna look into them

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd highly recommend waiting until 4th year to get SLOEs (or at least till your final rotation of M3).

The purpose of SLOEs is to compare you to other rotating students at the same time. If you rotate as an M3 with M4s you'll be at a huge disadvantage and could potentially get a bad letter.

I'd highly recommend waiting until 4th year to get SLOEs (or at least till your final rotation of M3).

The purpose of SLOEs is to compare you to other rotating students at the same time. If you rotate as an M3 with M4s you'll be at a huge disadvantage and could potentially get a bad letter.
Very valid point. I was intending to wait until May or June, last 2 months of 3rd year. It just puts me behind the 8 ball when I don't have a home site that's affiliated with a residency

Yea, I'm a 4th year who hasn't done an ed rotation yet, but the need to distinguish sick from not sick, take a good focused h&p, and quickly form an assessment an plan for undifferentiated patients all make it seem to me like an ED rotation should really be a 4th year rotation to be able to perform close to adequately

Such is the downfall of many DO schools, especially mine....my core rotations are at a site where even by 4th year I probably won't have enough experience to be adequate in those areas. I may just use a 3rd yr elective to do a community or rural ER so I can get some kind of practice without the stress of a SLOE.

Such is the downfall of many DO schools, especially mine....my core rotations are at a site where even by 4th year I probably won't have enough experience to be adequate in those areas. I may just use a 3rd yr elective to do a community or rural ER so I can get some kind of practice without the stress of a SLOE.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, there are pros and cons to anything. You'll get to explore your interest in EM and build some skills before working somewhere for your letters. As far as what rotations you're doing, if you're getting bread and butter exposure to gen surg, inpatient/outpatient IM/peds, which I can't imagine anywhere isn't, you should have a fine fund of knowledge/experience to draw on