3rd year Temple pod student ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your responses...it is greatly appreciated

Regarding what someone said about an 85 being a 3.0, are podiatry schools that hard to pass through?

I spent one semester at Saint Georges Uni and while I did alright, I had around an 81% average, the school was just always trying to fail out more students by raising their standards for passing semester by semester. I think when I left it was a 75% or higher was considered passing, fall below this and youre recommended for dismissal.

As someone who has experienced atleast one semester at medical school, I know its a demanding task and I am up to it, but is it still a reasonable task? I am not hoping to be able to sleep till noon every day and go to bed at 8 (troll), but being able to manage most of my work and still manage to get around 6 hours of sleep a night while doing decently well is kind of what I had in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding what someone said about an 85 being a 3.0, are podiatry schools that hard to pass through?

I spent one semester at Saint Georges Uni and while I did alright, I had around an 81% average, the school was just always trying to fail out more students by raising their standards for passing semester by semester. I think when I left it was a 75% or higher was considered passing, fall below this and youre recommended for dismissal.

As someone who has experienced atleast one semester at medical school, I know its a demanding task and I am up to it, but is it still a reasonable task? I am not hoping to be able to sleep till noon every day and go to bed at 8 (troll), but being able to manage most of my work and still manage to get around 6 hours of sleep a night while doing decently well is kind of what I had in mind.

Pod schools are pretty straight forward. I don't think they will fail you once you get in and keep changing standards like in Carib.

If you have the stats, pass interviews, and get an acceptance, they're already invested in you at that point.

Someone who is currently in pod school please chime in. From the students I've talked to, only hard part is keeping up with the work load (again this comes with any professional school) but they're not out to fail people who work hard and realize what it takes.

Just realized I never asked

How's the gym?
The gym is suffucient, nothing amazing but it's got everything you need to make gainzzz. The biggest downside is the hours, it doesn't open till 4:00pm on weekdays.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Did you receive anything from the university such as like an iPad or Laptop to help with your studies?

Does anybody know which schools do give you stuff or if any of them do?

Did you receive anything from the university such as like an iPad or Laptop to help with your studies?

Does anybody know which schools do give you stuff or if any of them do?
Temple gives you an iPad Air 2 and a Logitech keyboard case. Quizzes and exams are taken electronically on tablets (the one provided or a personal tablet) through an app that locks down the tablet. So if you already own a tablet, you can sell The Air 2 that you are given. The tablets can also be used to take notes in clinic.

I was just scrolling through this and it seems like Temple is quite the tough school. Especially when the guy mentioned (essentially all nighters) 12 AM to 4 AM sleep.

At Kent state I heard that students take at least half a day off. Is Temple just more rigorous?

I was just scrolling through this and it seems like Temple is quite the tough school. Especially when the guy mentioned (essentially all nighters) 12 AM to 4 AM sleep.

At Kent state I heard that students take at least half a day off. Is Temple just more rigorous?
I doubt that Kent students get half a day off every day year round. Temple breaks you in easy only giving you classes half a day for the first two weeks. After that you'll spend much of your time from 8-5 in classes. Temple also has the first Summer off, which many podiatry schools don't.

For the basic sciences we have essentially the same education as the MD and dental students, so say the professors. We all use the same anatomy guides and do the same dissections. In biochem we have the same lectures with just some slight alterations to clinical correlations. Histo is similar. etc. I would assume though that it's not much more or less rigorous than any other podiatry school.

Also, it's very student dependent. Some people will have to work extra hard and pull a lot of all nighters and some won't. If you've taken anatomy or some of the other classes before you might have a bit (but not much) of a head start so you won't have to work quite so hard. It also depends on what kind if grade you're looking for. I'm confident you could eek by spending just a couple of hours a night studying and not dedicating too much weekend time. Wouldn't recommend it though.

Also, Temple is kinda disorganized so there are some weeks with multiple quizzes or exams and then a week or two of nothing. So sometimes you really do need to pull all nighters and sometimes you can sit back and binge on Narcos.

You've just gotta take it a week at a time. Overall, it's difficult but doable. I mean, we still manage to go out and get drunk every weekend.

I doubt that Kent students get half a day off every day year round. Temple breaks you in easy only giving you classes half a day for the first two weeks. After that you'll spend much of your time from 8-5 in classes. Temple also has the first Summer off, which many podiatry schools don't.

For the basic sciences we have essentially the same education as the MD and dental students, so say the professors. We all use the same anatomy guides and do the same dissections. In biochem we have the same lectures with just some slight alterations to clinical correlations. Histo is similar. etc. I would assume though that it's not much more or less rigorous than any other podiatry school.

Also, it's very student dependent. Some people will have to work extra hard and pull a lot of all nighters and some won't. If you've taken anatomy or some of the other classes before you might have a bit (but not much) of a head start so you won't have to work quite so hard. It also depends on what kind if grade you're looking for. I'm confident you could eek by spending just a couple of hours a night studying and not dedicating too much weekend time. Wouldn't recommend it though.

Thanks Grandpa Bob!.

I know Pod school wont be a "breeze" and I am prepared to work hard, I just wanted to know theres a little bit of free time for myself, (maybe just a half hour a day). And if possible just a few hours on the weekend. This is good news. Thanks!

Thanks Grandpa Bob!.

I know Pod school wont be a "breeze" and I am prepared to work hard, I just wanted to know theres a little bit of free time for myself, (maybe just a half hour a day). And if possible just a few hours on the weekend. This is good news. Thanks!

I usually have a couple of hours of free time during the day, a couple hours of free time each night, and I only study maybe 8-10 hours total on the weekend so there's plenty of free time there. I sleep from maybe 2:00-8:00 but that's by choice. I usually stop studying between 12:00 and 1:00, after that I mess around on FB. I also get an hour nap in after classes end each day. I've scored above the class average on every quiz/exam so far. Now, I will say that some people study more than me and in turn score a little higher than me. Some people study less than me and do OK. Some people study way less than me and have failed a quiz here or there.

How much you study is entirely up to you. And so every good or bad grade is entirely in your own hands.

But it's not like a boot camp or something. You will have as much free time as you want to have.

Is it bad to take a gap year?

Im not in pod school yet but I think Gap years are a good idea. One year of your life is not much and since you will be working so damn hard in med/podiatry school you will get a little break to recharge your batteries. Im taking a gap year and just enjoying life. Im interning at a few companies on the side and taking community college classes. But it definitely helps.

Does Temple send students out to conferences or events fairly often?

Also, is Temple fairly helpful with getting students set up for externships or is the student pretty much on their on their own where that is concerned?

Lastly, is a year long schedule sent out to students so that we can plan trips in advance? Does the school stick pretty closely to that schedule?