3rd yr MS3 Anesthiology residency in Southern California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mweksler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 at Georgetown. I got a 246 on my step 1 and am around the top 3rd of my class. I have a mixture of honors and high passes for my clerkships. I want to match into anesthesiology in SoCal. I'm trying to set up my 4th year schedule currently and don't really know what I'm doing with away rotations, required clerkships, and what not. Ideally, I'd like to match at UCLA, UCSD, USC, or Cedars. Does anyone have any insight into these programs and my competitiveness for them? How important are away rotations for anesthesia and when should I try to schedule them? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS3 at Georgetown. I got a 246 on my step 1 and am around the top 3rd of my class. I have a mixture of honors and high passes for my clerkships. I want to match into anesthesiology in SoCal. I'm trying to set up my 4th year schedule currently and don't really know what I'm doing with away rotations, required clerkships, and what not. Ideally, I'd like to match at UCLA, UCSD, USC, or Cedars. Does anyone have any insight into these programs and my competitiveness for them? How important are away rotations for anesthesia and when should I try to schedule them? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I do not believe with your stats that an away rotation is necessary. You are def competitive for all 4 of those programs. I know people at UCLA and UCSD with lower scores (220-230) and non AOA. I am sure you will get interviews at all 4 and as long as your not a douche you will have a strong chance. I wouldn't do an away unless you want to spend a month in so cal or just want to check the program out. I don't think its really necessary for the match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure you spell Anesthiology right on your aplikation

With those stats, do dermatology.

Just watch the board when interviews go out, I say if you see interviews going out and you don't get one then send a short letter of interest. You are competitive for those programs but it doesn't mean you'll necessarily get an interview, I found socal to be quite random. I got interviews everywhere else but got a last minute interview offer from one of those programs (3 dates left) and was rejected from another (the least competitive of those 4). And don't worry if you don't get an interview right off the bat it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't want you. The program that gave me a last minute interview sent me positive post interview communication so im guessing my application was just looked over or something.

Last edited:
My app was similar to the OP's and I received interviews from Cedars and USC; I ended up canceling all my Cali ones. I've been an east coaster all my life with no ties to Cali so I think you should be fine for those at least. If you can get AOA, I think that will help you a lot. Good Luck.

With those stats, do dermatology.
Just don't go wherever this guy went.
I'd recommend doing aways but just for fun and to really see if you fit with a program. Also congrats on your scores, assuming you have no red flags you will likely get in any of those programs although there is definitely a randomness component.

Reactions: 1 users
In general if you are a good applicant, and it sounds like you are, away rotations in a less competitive field or one where aways aren't the norm/pseudo-required (ortho, plastics, others I'm sure but not anesthesia) can only HURT your application. You say something silly at 6am when your brain isn't fully functioning, some random attending is having a terrible week, decides you gave him the stink-eye at grand rounds and now hates you, whatever. The advice I got from both the academic dean and the PD at my school was to only do an away if there is one program in particular you are really keen on. Treat it as a month-long interview. If you don't have a singular program in mind, then don't do it. It's expensive and as I said, can hurt your application at that school and potentially others in the area. Let's say you do an away at UCSD, well UCLA sees that on your app and might say "this person wants to go to San Diego".

So my advice would be, do one if you have a specific interest in a program and even so do it in say August or September, after the cut-off time for dean's letters/transcripts. You can also ask your dean's office if they are ok leaving away rotations off your transcript/letter. My school did that for students worried about biasing other programs against them. Yes, it's stupid but apparently it happens.

I'm from a NY medical school without stated ties to California, scored 246 on step 1 and 258 on step 2. Mostly H and HP, top 30% of my class. I didn't get interview offers from the cali programs except for UCLA-Harbor. Perhaps it's because I didn't mention any specific regional ties, but I was unsuccessful there. I recommend you do an away rotation and ensure that you have a separate person statement tying you to Cali.

I agree with the above poster. You need to demonstrate ties or a "good" reason for wanting to be in Cali or you are by no means a lock at a cali program. Anesthesia programs arent looking for the people with the best numbers, but for people that will fit in to their program and be reliable. If you are going to be moving out there all by yourself without ties then you are a liability as you have no support network. Hopefully, youll at least be able to tell them your girlfriend/boyfriend is going to be moving with you if you dont have ties. Good luck.

Mweksler, I am a Georgetown 4th year who is trying to do the same. Search my other posts to see my rank list, hopefully all goes well for me on March 21st. I certainly got all the interviews I wanted with much lower stats than yours. Express your interest in being in SoCal and you will be good to go.

I decided to do aways at UCLA and USC because my wife is from out there and it was nice to basically spend three months in a row hanging out at the beach when I wasn't in the hospital. In fact, we missed a lot of nasty weather with the winter we have had in DC this year. I did aways in Oct, Nov, and then we stayed out there for our "interview break period" from Thanksgiving through the beginning of January. We had a great time, but I do not think that it helped me get any interviews.

Feel free to PM me and we can talk more if you would like. Also, after match day there will be an anesthesiology interest group to "meet the matches" at Georgetown. There are about 20 of us applying in anesthesiology this year and usually most people will show up to answer questions about aways, applying, etc. It's usually pretty high yield.

I'm from a NY medical school without stated ties to California, scored 246 on step 1 and 258 on step 2. Mostly H and HP, top 30% of my class. I didn't get interview offers from the cali programs except for UCLA-Harbor. Perhaps it's because I didn't mention any specific regional ties, but I was unsuccessful there. I recommend you do an away rotation and ensure that you have a separate person statement tying you to Cali.

It's a very weird process...much stats were lower than yours 220/238 and I got USC, Harbor, and Loma Linda...no ties to the west coast whatsoever. It's a very odd process honestly. I think they may offer interviews based on who they think might actually show. Of maybe they read more into apps for things of interest

Yea what about average applicant like me with Step 1 of 227? I am just starting 3rd year. My family is all in Cali so I do have strong tie. Is away rotation a good idea in my case? If so where should I apply for it? Should I go for a program I have a decent chance at like UCI or a reach program like UCLA or UCSD? I don't want to waste my away rotation on a program that won't take me anyway. Thanks.

Yea what about average applicant like me with Step 1 of 227? I am just starting 3rd year. My family is all in Cali so I do have strong tie. Is away rotation a good idea in my case? If so where should I apply for it? Should I go for a program I have a decent chance at like UCI or a reach program like UCLA or UCSD? I don't want to waste my away rotation on a program that won't take me anyway. Thanks.

IMO, you have a good chance at USC, Cedars, UCI, UCLA Harbor. UCLA/UCSD you may have a chance if you have other things that are stellar and maybe if you do an away rotation.

Reactions: 1 user