3rd yr surgery rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chirodocjrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also posted this in the residents area but I didn't see any replies so I posted here as well.
I am a DO student trying to set up my 3rd year general surgery rotation and I'd like get some input from residents and attendings (or others that have had the same decision to make). I have the opportunity to do the general surgery rotation at a DO residency program that I am possibly interested in applying to down the road. This residency doesn't hold formal interviews but does an interview when you do an audition rotation at the program. Do you think it would be a smart or poor decision to do my 3rd year general surgery rotation at this residency? I will be doing my surgery selective in August and OB/GYN in September so I will have some surgery experience behind me, but I don't want to hinder my chances if I go there in March and don't perform up to the level they are expecting (ie. a 4th yr auditioning student level). My thought is that the PD may use this opportunity to assess my skills and "interview" me instead of having me do an official audition in the fall of 4th year. I will have done all rotations except Peds and Family med by the time that I would rotate there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd lean towards doing it elsewhere. The two outcomes are you will either be 1) assessed as a 4th year medical student, putting you at a disadvantage or 2) they will not consider this your audition rotation because you are not applying this cycle and you will have to do one anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lean towards doing it elsewhere. The two outcomes are you will either be 1) assessed as a 4th year medical student, putting you at a disadvantage

That was my concern to him in a PM: it's hard to shine as an audition and as a 3rd year they'll compare him to the 4th years they're used to. I'd suggest doing a surgical sub speciality elective there 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing a 3rd year rotation there won't hurt you, assuming you bust your a** everday. It won't replace a 4th year rotation though. I did surgery rotations at 2 different institutions, both which had their own residencies. At both places, they told me they though I'd be a good fit and would love to have me apply there for residency. BUT, they also told me to come back during my 4th year and do a rotation. Since you have to do a surgery rotation anyway, why not do it there? You may find out that you didn't like it as much as you did, without having to use a 4th year elective.