4.0, 28 MCAT Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snow Ninja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe try Toledo and Wayne State also (close-ish schools to you)?

Patient contact experience? Shadowing doesn't count, and if you have none, it might be held against you.

Suggest adding Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Loyola, Creighton, Drexel, Temple and all your state schools, and perhaps those around yours as well. Forget USD and U OK. They'll favor the home field.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I took the exam my sophomore year (why? I don't know) and I do think I could improve. 4.0 GPA at a private school--Biology major.

EC:

Men's Basketball team 4 years
2 Summers research in cancer biology
40 hours shadowing variety of docs
sophomore honor award
academic all-conference 4 years
biology club, betabetabeta, premed club
City Marathon volunteer 4 years

I feel like I'm digging for ECs, but basketball is a full time job. :(

Schools I'm applying to:

University of Wisconsin, Oklahoma U, University of South Dakota, Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton.

Resident of Wisconsin--White male.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be surprised how much med schools appreciate your basketball experience. It has been 9 yrs since I applied to med school, but back then 28 was decent, and shadowing counted. You research sounds good, too. I think the big factor is how rigorous your class load was and the reputation of your undergrad, in general. And, if you actually had minutes in games, that is a lot cooler than if you were third string, although that could potentially be impressive, as well. Check out the Chicago schools.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

Try and volunteer in a clinical setting before you apply. Even 50 hours will help, this IS IMPORTANT, prioritize this

I think you'll be surprised how much med schools appreciate your basketball experience. It has been 9 yrs since I applied to med school, but back then 28 was decent, and shadowing counted. You research sounds good, too. I think the big factor is how rigorous your class load was and the reputation of your undergrad, in general. And, if you actually had minutes in games, that is a lot cooler than if you were third string, although that could potentially be impressive, as well. Check out the Chicago schools.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

I started for 3 years! So hopefully it is appreciated by med schools. But like I said, it's so hard to find time to volunteer to get patient-contact hours because basketball takes up so much of my time. But thank you for the feedback!

Patient contact experience? Shadowing doesn't count, and if you have none, it might be held against you.

Suggest adding Rosy Franklin, NYMC, Loyola, Creighton, Drexel, Temple and all your state schools, and perhaps those around yours as well. Forget USD and U OK. They'll favor the home field.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what you mean shadowing doesn't count? As in medical schools don't care that you have shadowing hours? If so, :(.

Maybe try Toledo and Wayne State also (close-ish schools to you)?

I'll look into these schools. Thanks!

Try and volunteer in a clinical setting before you apply. Even 50 hours will help, this IS IMPORTANT, prioritize this

Yeah, this is the definitely on my list. Thank you for the help.

Do I have a chance at Wisconsin? This is where I really want to go!

By shadowing doesn't count I think Goro is referring to the fact that shadowing doesn't count as patient contact. Patient contact would be something like volunteering in a nursing home or an ED where you would have actual experiences with patients.

Did you hold a leadership position in any of your EC's?