4.0/38-40MCAT, how many schools are too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Make sure you apply to the schools known for giving out scholarships. You have a super strong and well rounded app that's also interesting with things like the sky diving club.

Here are the schools i know of that give out multiple scholarships but make sure you search on sdn for more. PS most schools will offer at least one scholarship, but above are the schools in the top 25 that have at least several. I do know that Cornell does not offer any merit aid, and I'm sure there are a couple other schools with a similar policy, but I am not sure which ones.
Wow, that's exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. Definitely adding WashU, Northwestern and Cleveland in this case since I've already contemplating to do that for other reasons. That'd bring my total number of schools to a whooping 28, but hell, if a small amount of effort now can mean financial stress free for four years, why not. After all, I've got to support my parents here and there, they don't make a lot after they retired in China.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that's exactly the kind of information that I've been looking for. Definitely adding WashU, Northwestern and Cleveland in this case since I've already contemplating to do that for other reasons. That'd bring my total number of schools to a whooping 28, but hell, if a small amount of effort now can mean financial stress free for four years, why not. After all, I've got to support my parents here and there, they don't make a lot after they retired in China.

Yes I realize how expensive the school apps and interviews can get which is really difficult. But like I said, applying broadly now to the schools with multiple scholarships can really really pay off if you end up receiving one. If you interview well and come off as an interesting person (which it seems you are) in addition to your accomplishments I think you have a very decent chance. Good luck with your cycle!!

Haha, yeah, I feel good that I got FAP. However, if you think about it, the fact that I qualify for FAP might means that I ain't so financially lucky right? ;) Thank you for the confidence shot. I applied to 25 schools, can't relax until I get in though. Then I'll **** off to be a bum in Europe for a few months.

Medical School application really sucks for the family who makes just a little bit above the poverty line. I mean, it can cost as much as 1/3 of their annual income just to do the application. No wonder the percentage of students belonging to the top 25% income are increasing among the applicants.
Well, I'm not quite feeling it just yet. I'm going to keep working this summer, as I have every summer and every school break since I was 14 yo. No trip to Europe for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not quite feeling it just yet. I'm going to keep working this summer, as I have every summer and every school break since I was 14 yo. No trip to Europe for me.
I haven't had a break longer than 4 days that's not being used to study for like...8 years. I am going to be bumming around for a little bit before I jump on the wagon. Especially since I plan to do 3 yr program, I need a break. You don't need that much money to go to Europe. I'd buy the cheapest ticket and just hang out on a small farm that two married friends own in a small town in France. I'll definitely have to make some money here or there though.

Wow great app! I wish I had your stats and good luck! As for # of schools I'd recommend 10-15 schools and some safety schools like NY state schools

Wow great app! I wish I had your stats and good luck! As for # of schools I'd recommend 10-15 schools and some safety schools like NY state schools
Thank you for your compliments. I think stats can definitely be over shined by great EC and LOR though. I've seen a guy getting into State School here with a 2.99 GPA with extra strong EC

Amazing application, there's no question you will get into somewhere amazing provided you do well on the MCAT.

One question though, are you a US citizen? That can unfortunately affect a few things down the line...

Especially since I plan to do 3 yr program, I need a break.
Wait what?

I am not a citizen, yet. I don't think it affects me much during admission process. It might matter if I want NIH grants later in med school. But I'll probably be a citizen by then.

A few schools now offer 3 year options. Not that I have to do it, but it'd be nice, since I'm a cranky old lady in her 29th year of life. :p

Last edited:
UPDATE:
1. MCAT result: 39 (14/10/15)
2. School lists are also updated

Thank you for offering your perspective. I am asking for help with:
1. if you think I need to apply to more school (got FAP, so money isn't an issue)
2. if I need to adjust my school choice
3. chances at the schools I chose...
4. anything that I should be concerned with in your opinion

I'm Asian. 29rd old. Went to Columbia. NY resident of course.

GPA: 4.0 50% of the grades were A+
MCAT: took 06/21/14. Didn't feel like it's gonna be out of my normal range, which has been 38-40 steady based on AAMC prep test.
Has a master in Bioethics from NYU.

Research:
3 month full time congenital heart diseases-bench
1 year full time genomic research-bench
4 year full time cancer research-basic to translational, but all bench still (9 pub: 2nd author*1, 3rd author*1, 4th author*3, 5th author*1, 10000th author*3)
2 year full time schizophrenia research-bench
1 year full time clinical research on multiple displasia syndrome and AML-partly data and partly with patient.

Volunteer Medical:
180hr in Ped ED

Community service:
Therapy dog handling 2 hours every 2 week.
Rescued dog fostering and behavior correction-6 month, 2-5hrs a day everyday.
Neighborhood free dog behavior correction about a few days every month.

Shadowing
Was done during volunteer and during clinical research

Honors:
The normal stuff: Phi Beta Kappa/Summa Cum Laude/Honors Society
European commission scholarship for a class at Oxford.

EC
Briefly operated a private skydiving club at Columbia.
Assistant editor for a scientific journal.
Track and Field athletes in China.
Former professionial model/dancer/jazz drummer/...but that's like before high school, only mentioned in PS briefly.

Leadership
President of the Student Council student life (in Chinese college)

Something worth mentioning
First generation immigrant: made it here myself through work and eventually got residency through my job.
Had a prior undergraduate degree from a top science school in China (which provides with me a different perspective on the US educational and healthcare system)
Did a second undergraduate degree in the US FOR the purpose of going to medical school here (I guess that shows how much I wanted it, which is a lot)
Supported myself financially since Day 1 in the US. worked through college. Survived the first 3 month with 150 bucks...

I have 7 letters total (which may not all be included in the committee pack)
from my ex supervisor who mentioned my work ethics. she showed me, it was STRONG
from the Dean/director/chairman of NYU Philosophy Department under whom I studied medical ethics for 2 years and we have been good friends since. Likely STRONG
from the principle investigator/treating physician of my clinical research job VERY STRONG, she even asked my mother's email and send her a copy. She strongly complimented my bedside manner and my skill in working with patients.
from my music humanity class professor: I wrote a 1500 words essay for each of the 6 final short essays and sent all to him after the final. He wrote fantastic, I agree, amazing on pretty much every line I wrote for my mid term paper. He often bragged about me to his professor, so likely Strong (but I found him although very passionate a person, can be not clear in expressing himself, so I don't know how the letter would read)
from my Virology professor: he knew that I was super enthusiastic about virology and that I was his Podcast fans, he once wrote "you are a virology super star" on my returned exam...so likely strong
from my general physics professor: he offered to write for me without asking and told me that i'll make a good doctor, he never gave A+ in 40 yrs of teaching, I got A+ in both semesters, so...probably strong.
from my Physio professor: same, offered to write for me herself-we know each other well, got the only 100 on her final in my year...so likely strong.

Cornell University
Duke University
Harvard University
New York University
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Pennsylvania
Stanford University
Johns Hopkins University
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Case Western Reserve University
Vanderbilt University
Washington University in St. Louis
Northwestern University
Brown University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
University of North Carolina
University of Washington
Application Complete
Mayo Medical School
SUNY Downstate - "I don't remember filling out secondary for downstate when I saw the application is complete email. :..."
University of Chicago
Yale University
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
Columbia University
University of Michigan
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Hofstra University
You have more than enough schools. Cut back, U of W for example (unless you are a resident).

Yeah with your application I don't think you'd be good with even 15. Unless you really want to go to all of them.

Reactions: 1 users
You have more than enough schools. Cut back, U of W for example (unless you are a resident).
Thanks Professor gyngyn, I applied to U of W because I heard that their primary care was excellent. But I probably shouldn't have since after all I am an OOS.

Yeah with your application I don't think you'd be good with even 15. Unless you really want to go to all of them.
Thanks, I just want to make sure that I get into one domestic program this year and I probably should stop at around 25 though. Lol FAP makes it so easy to overdo it.

Jesus christ, that's amazing. Are you sure not having citizenship status doesn't hurt you though? I have a friend who is pretty strong as well (obviously not as strong as your application though) ending up getting rejected everywhere, and he's not a citizen.

I don't know why you would mention activities that you did in middle school though.

Jesus christ, that's amazing. Are you sure not having citizenship status doesn't hurt you though? I have a friend who is pretty strong as well (obviously not as strong as your application though) ending up getting rejected everywhere, and he's not a citizen.
She has FAP. I thought you couldn't get it without at least permanent resident status which is as good as citizenship everywhere I know.

I don't know why you would mention activities that you did in middle school though.

First of all, thank you. Secondly, regarding the citizenship issue, I have heard rumors that being a green card holder might put someone in a disadvantage, but that's just rumor. Legally Green Card holder should be treated exactly the same as citizen in terms of school admission. In reality, whether there will be a difference in actual practice I wouldn't know. It will certainly affect my chance to get NIH research funding or fellowships that's citizen only once I'm in, but that's a different issue. If one has no green card, then it's a very difficult game, nearly impossible with few exceptions that I have come cross. That's actually the reason why I waited 8 years to apply even though I decided to go to med school back when I was 21.

I only glossed it over in a few phrases at the very beginning part of my PS which was written as an autobiography. The readers usually reported that it did not feel unnatural to mention some of my early attributes.

Last edited:
She has FAP. I thought you couldn't get it without at least permanent resident status which is as good as citizenship everywhere I know.
yeah, that's my impression as well.

I removed the content, but I will post it back once the cycle is over. I promise. I want to share my experience and information but now it's not a good time.

Good luck and thank you for your understanding!
promiseeeeeee! Pls senpai put it back =D. It's helpful, been following you for a while. I hope I don't sound too creepy.

promiseeeeeee! Pls senpai put it back =D. It's helpful, been following you for a while. I hope I don't sound too creepy.
It does sound creepy. But now I'm wondering, you don't hear too many people actually praise someone on here.

It does sound creepy. But now I'm wondering, you don't hear too many people actually praise someone on here.
well maybe that's the problem, people don't praise enough. I'm a bit older than most on here and I have a lil bit older views on life. Anyways I private messaged other posters I've followed to thank them for being consistent. Ain't nothin wrong with showing a lil love.