4.0, 39, average ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physics92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0 gpa: I'm a physics major too if that makes any difference
39 on mcat
phi beta kappa

Strongest EC would definitely be research. Have been involved in same lab since beginning of sophomore year. Received a research fellowship grant from my school during my junior year. Also had a summer internship at a national physics laboratory that culminated in abstract and presentation. No publications yet unfortunately, but it looks very likely that something will get sent in by May-ish. Expecting strong lors from both PI's.

Have done standard ~75 hours of shadowing different doctors. Very little clinical volunteering though. For nonclinical volunteering, I volunteer with classes for adults with learning disabilities ~50 hours with this one. Also provide physics tutoring to local high schools through a local school org ~50 hours as well.

Tenative school list is:
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
UCSF
Baylor
UTSW
John Hopkins
Northwestern
WashU
Penn
+ Several in-state schools for mid tier

Is my school list too top-heavy? I have heard that with my stats I shouldn't bother with lower-tier schools but I feel my Ec's may be holding me back from top schools. It seems that getting into a top 10 school is total gamble but hopefully I can get a couple interviews

Members don't see this ad.

4.0 gpa: I'm a physics major too if that makes any difference
39 on mcat
phi beta kappa

Strongest EC would definitely be research. Have been involved in same lab since beginning of sophomore year. Also had a summer internship at a national physics laboratory that culminated in abstract and presentation. No publications yet unfortunately, but it looks very likely that something will get sent in by May-ish. Expecting strong lors from both PI's.

Have done standard ~75 hours of shadowing different doctors. Very little clinical volunteering though. For nonclinical volunteering, I volunteer with classes for adults with learning disabilities ~50 hours with this one. Also provide physics tutoring to local high schools through a local school org ~50 hours as well.

Tenative school list is:
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
UCSF
Baylor
UTSW
John Hopkins
Northwestern
WashU
Penn
+ Several in-state schools for mid tier

Is my school list too top-heavy? I have heard that with my stats I shouldn't bother with lower-tier schools but I feel my Ec's may be holding me back from top schools. It seems that getting into a top 10 school is total gamble but hopefully I can get a couple interviews
Stats are great... Need more clinical volunteering (100+ hours preferably)... Too top heavy heavy IMO... Add another 5 mid-to-upper tier...

Nice job on everything! Agreed with above poster.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree about adding a few more schools, preferably in the upper mid-tiers. Try to apply to at least 15 schools. Even with stellar stats such as yours, the process is still hard to predict. If you have any outside school hobbies or ECs that would be helpful, especially if they are leadership experiences. For someone from such a heavy physics background, you should add a bit more clinical experience to allay any concerns that adcoms may have that you do not know the medical field that well.

Even with your stellar numbers, your lack of clinical and relative lack of non-clinical volunteering will be detrimental to your app. Do you have any other hobbies or other non-med school related ECs that you would be putting on your app that'll help to set you apart from other applicants?