4.0 but 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jschimmel1728

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to M.D programs with these credentials and haven't received any interviews. I also applied to PCOM and LECOM late in the cycle in hopes of getting something. My MCAT was B.S:11 P.S: 8 V: 8. I have 3 years of research experience and ~400 hours of clinical experience. I have a bad feeling I am not going to get into any schools I applied to this cycle. Are there any schools on the east coast that would take me? Also, I plan to reapply to PCOM and LECOM next year much earlier in the cycle to increase my chances. How do schools view re-applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the very high GPA, but that MCAT is a liability. With a 4.0, you could probably get MD interviews with a 28 or 29, but 27 is a little low.

27 is pretty good for most DO schools, or you could retake. It'll be the 2015 MCAT if you decide to retake: good luck!

Great applicant for DO. MCAT will make it tough for an MD acceptance/interview

Members don't see this ad :)
A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools; it's competitive for DO programs. Therefore, the best bet is the latter. It's still not too late int he cycle so at the least, send apps to NYitCom. Touro-Ny, Rowan and VCOM.

Reapplicants are expected to show some improvement. I wouldn't be too anxious about the two DO schools you've applied to right now; just given the time to work their way down the pile to your app.

I applied to M.D programs with these credentials and haven't received any interviews. I also applied to PCOM and LECOM late in the cycle in hopes of getting something. My MCAT was B.S:11 P.S: 8 V: 8. I have 3 years of research experience and ~400 hours of clinical experience. I have a bad feeling I am not going to get into any schools I applied to this cycle. Are there any schools on the east coast that would take me? Also, I plan to reapply to PCOM and LECOM next year much earlier in the cycle to increase my chances. How do schools view re-applicants?

minor chance md