MD 4.0 cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 32 MCAT. Need help cutting down list.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

multivit3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
cGPA: ~4.0
sGPA: ~3.9
MCAT: 11PS/10V/11BS
ECs: standard. Have a mix of research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, leadership.
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen, living in Canada. Legal residence in NY (parents live there).

My List:
I currently have 30+ schools. Hoping to narrow to 25. Reaches in bold.

Albany
Case Western
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Emory
Dartmouth

Hofstra
Keck (USC)
Mayo
MCW
Mount Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Oakland University William Beaumont
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU
Jefferson
Stony Brook
All SUNYs
TCMC
Miami-Leonard
Tufts
Tulane
Rochester
VCU
VATech
Wake
Western Michigan

Cut: Mayo and Dartmouth for sure. You'll probably keep NYU and Mt Sinai regardless of what's said here but they are both schools your MCAT is well below average.

You don't need that many lower tiers. Start with cutting the low yield ones. Va tech(very small entering class), TCMC(not in state), Drexel, Rosalind, Tufts(insane tuition you can do better) can start. Realize Tulane, NYMC and Rush also get tons of apps.

How is your cGPA 4.0 but sGPA 3.9?

Other than the reaches, all are feasible. Cut based off geography and/or number of apps a school gets. Look into cutting: Va Tech (high mcat), Drexel (lots of apps), Oakland (new school), Western Mich (new school).

Also, no Einstein? That's probably the most realistic NYC option other than Downstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, may have gotten the GPAs wrong- those were estimates. Basically ~3.9 for both.
This might be a misunderstanding but why do you say I'll keep Mount Sinai and NYU? I'll be willing to cut both- I know my chances are slim to none.
Albert Einstein was iffy for me because of their specific LOR requirements. The 2 profs from my school are from the same faculty, but teach different types of courses (science vs humanities). Do you think its still worth trying?

Do you have a committee letter? That fills all requirements. If not, call Einstein and ask specifically if your letters will work.

As for NYU and Sinai (and your other reaches), check MSAR. Does your MCAT fall below their 10%ile? If it does, they prob aren't worth keeping as reaches.

Okay, thanks. My school doesn't have a committee.

Cut so far: mayo, Dartmouth, mount Sinai, NYU, va tech, TCMC, Drexel, tufts

May add: Einstein. What do you guys think about Pittsburgh btw?

Okay, thanks. My school doesn't have a committee.

Cut so far: mayo, Dartmouth, mount Sinai, NYU, va tech, TCMC, Drexel, tufts

May add: Einstein. What do you guys think about Pittsburgh btw?

Pittsburgh is also a reach, but if I remember correctly their 10%ile is like 30. So it may be worth keeping as a reach.

Suggest

Albany
Case Western
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Emory
Hofstra
Keck (USC)
MCW
NYMC
Oakland University William Beaumont