4.0 cGPA, 33 MCAT: School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Before I begin, the essentials:

Major: Psychology (BA), Junior
cGPA: 4.00
sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 33 (12 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS)
LizzyM: 74
NJ Resident

I'd like to start off by saying that I am not gunning for top-tier schools. However, I am passionate about research and would like to continue doing it throughout medical school. With that said, here are my EC's (with abbreviated descriptions for the sake of anonymity):

• Research (3 years)
  • Non-profit work (3 years)
  • Observerships (1 year)
  • EMS (4 years)
  • Disabilities Tutor & Mentor (2 years)
  • Work, Lifeguard (5 years)
  • Clinical Internship (4.5 months)
  • On-campus Org (2 years)

Tentative school list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Case Western Reserve University
Columbia University
Dartmouth College
Drexel University
Duke University
George Washington University
Jefferson Medical College
Johns Hopkins University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
Stony Brook University
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
UMDNJ - New Jersey
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University

Any feedback would be extremely helpful! I know my EC's are pretty vague, so if you guys need more information, just let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any school suggestions? Is my list balanced?

Members don't see this ad :)
Odd are great at all the schools on your list. I'd add ALL PA schools, since it seems you want to stay on East Coast. U VT might take you as well. Perhaps add Hofstra, Quinnipac, BU, and Tufts? You can drop SLU.

Hi everyone!

NJ Resident

I'd like to start off by saying that I am not gunning for top-tier schools. However, I am passionate about research and would like to continue doing it throughout medical school. With that said, here are my EC's (with abbreviated descriptions for the sake of anonymity):

• Research (3 years)
  • Observerships (1 year)
  • EMS (4 years)

Tentative school list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Columbia University
Dartmouth College
Drexel University
Duke University
Johns Hopkins University
New York Medical College
New York University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
Stony Brook University
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
UMDNJ - New Jersey
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University

Any feedback would be extremely helpful! I know my EC's are pretty vague, so if you guys need more information, just let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Right now my eyes are on VTC, CCLCM, Einstein and RWJ since they appear to emphasize student-faculty research.

Odd are great at all the schools on your list. I'd add ALL PA schools, since it seems you want to stay on East Coast. U VT might take you as well. Perhaps add Hofstra, Quinnipac, BU, and Tufts? You can drop SLU.

Thanks for the help!

I've been considering Pittsburgh and Penn State for awhile now, but I feel uncertain about my fit. BU appears to have a service-specific mission that my application lacks. I have certainly done significant non-profit work, it's just not the type of work it seems they're looking for.

As for Tufts, I'll look into it! The only thing I really know about them is their unholy price tag. UVM is already on my list – I love the location and their curriculum! I've also been considering Brown, Georgetown and Mayo, but I don't think I'm competitive for those schools for various reasons (Brown's heavy PLME, Mayo being Mayo, Georgetown receiving millions of applications, etc).

Any other reach schools I should consider? Are any of the UC's (SD, for example) worth looking into?

Since my goal is to submit my application this weekend, does anyone feel that my list is too top heavy? Are there schools that would be more advisable to apply to than the ones already on my list?

Thanks again!

Hi everyone!

NJ Resident

• Research (3 years)
  • Observerships (1 year)
  • EMS (4 years)

Tentative school list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Columbia University
Dartmouth College
Drexel University
Duke University
Johns Hopkins University
New York Medical College
New York University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
Stony Brook University
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
UMDNJ - New Jersey
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University

Thanks for your help!
If you have some extra money for more schools, I would add SUNY Downstate and Hofstra, since these schools are in the same region as most of the other schools you applied to.

If you have some extra money for more schools, I would add SUNY Downstate and Hofstra, since these schools are in the same region as most of the other schools you applied to.

I don't know much about Hofstra, but I do know that the LIJ hospital system is excellent. Thanks for the help!

Is 25 schools an acceptable number?

Quick question for those that can answer – does Tufts offer generous financial aid packages to compensate for their insane COA?

Quick question for those that can answer – does Tufts offer generous financial aid packages to compensate for their insane COA?

Can't speak from personal experience, but based on the average graduate indebtness (~200k) listed on MSAR, I'd say no. That is higher relative to most other schools I've looked at which range from 130-150k, as listed on MSAR.

I'm getting ready to submit my primary on Friday. I'm hoping this isn't too late! Before I send it off, does anyone think I should apply more broadly?

Below is an updated list:

Tentative school list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Columbia University
Dartmouth College
Drexel University
Duke University
Hofstra University
Johns Hopkins University
New York Medical College
New York University
Pennsylvania State University
Rush Medical College
Stony Brook University
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
UMDNJ - New Jersey
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University

Can't speak from personal experience, but based on the average graduate indebtness (~200k) listed on MSAR, I'd say no. That is higher relative to most other schools I've looked at which range from 130-150k, as listed on MSAR.

Yeah, that's high. For that reason I think I'm going to leave it off my list, as I probably wouldn't attend Tufts over UMDNJ anyway.

Hey guys,

Quick question:

I'm on the fence about two schools and can't seem to come to a decision. With my numbers (4.0/33, for those who don't feel like scrolling) and current school list, would I be better off adding:

University of Maryland, Wake Forest University, or Hofstra North Shore-LIJ?

Hofstra's new, Maryland's in one of the most crime ridden cities on the east coast, and Wake Forest is upper tier. However, Hofstra's associated with LIJ, Maryland's a powerhouse in neuroscience (my current research interest), and Wake Forest is in a booming area.

I can't decide. Any thoughts?

I'm biased, but I don't see a good reason to leave Wake Forest off your list :)

I'm biased, but I don't see a good reason to leave Wake Forest off your list :)

Congrats on getting accepted off the waitlist!

Would you be willing to tell me a little about the school? Did you learn anything on your interviews that might help me make a decision?

Looks like I'll be adding Wake Forest! The more I read about them, the more interested I become in their program.

For those still viewing this, if you have any insight on my school list – comment soon!

Last edited:
Bump!

Does anyone believe that my finalized schools list (in my MDApps profile) is too top heavy?

Bump!

Does anyone believe that my finalized schools list (in my MDApps profile) is too top heavy?

Your stats and ECs will land you an acceptance at one or more of the schools on your list.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I hope you're right!