MD 4.0 cGPA, haven't taken the MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KT1440

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I will be taking the MCAT in Janurary, so I know its hard to say my true chances. I graduated in May and indecision left me without a definite course in life.

With that said, I am primarily looking for weaknesses in my credentials. I am looking at two years off between now and med school.. This aggravates me because I want to get on with my life and I don't like the uncertainty. However, this is unfortunately how it played out. Like I said, I want to identify weaknesses in my application so I can use this time to build them up.

Ok, here it is

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: Haven't taken it yet!

Clinical Volunteer: I did a little hospice volunteering my Junior year. I lost two grandparents in 8 months that year, so that was a short lived endeavor. I did 15 hours at a retirement in both independent and memory care. Not sure if this is entirely clinical.

Shadowing: Emergency department - 35 hours
Surgery Center - 16 hours
Cardiologist - 8 hours
Home care Physician - 8 hours
(This was all part of a competitive pre-health practicum class that I was enrolled in my junior year.)

Research: 2.5 years of researching in a Cell Biology Lab. I have two publications, one of which I was first author on. Gave many different presentations during that time. After my graduation I spent a month in China on a research grant studying pollination.

Nonclinical Volunteering: This is probably the weakest point in my application. I have done food drives, feed my starving children, and state park cleanup/ restoration.

Employment: Just started a part job as a medical scribe in the emergency department. After my test date, Ill either go full time or find another part time job.

Extracurriculars/miscellaneous : I was president of our dorm council my freshman year. Treasurer, VP, and President of the Biology Honors Society. I was also apart of the campus activities club. I was a resident assistant on campus for three years (this was a big time commitment) Best buddies for two years. I was also a TA for the freshman Biology lab... I think thats about it.

So I would like some constructive feedback. Weaknesses, strengths, and suggestions would all be appreciated! And naturally, my chances pending my MCAT score.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why make WAMC thread if you're planning on taking 2 gap years? Not to mention you haven't taken the MCAT. In any case, you definitely need more clinical volunteering, and more non-clinical volunteering wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I am simply looking for some feedback in order to make those two years off worth it.

Reactions: 1 user