4.0 cGPA & sGPA 30Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Love Cats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you just got to wait it out a little more and hope for the best but pretty sure you'll get into those state schools if u interview really well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumpdy bump

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

Badump bump.

Can you list the number of hours for each of your ECs? Also are you URM? What's your state residency? Did you apply late?

I think based on your stats and your EC's you would have been fine had you applied early. I think that your lateness in filling out the secondaries is killing you. I think that you might have to do a lot of waiting, but hopefully something will come along.

Also, do you have a Plan B if you don't get in this year?

Good luck!

Hello, SDN. I'm new to these forums as a member, but I have been neurotically browsing for many months now. I have recently applied to medical school. I applied to 22 schools and only got 1 rejection pre-secondary (University of Washington). I havetwo interviews at my two in state MD schools, but that's it so far. The in states are about 60% instate/40% out of state in terms of preference. It has been a little over a month since I finished my secondaries now for all the schools I wanted to send them in for. Could anyone please offer me advice? Advice on what to expect from schools I haven't heard back from yet or on what my interviews mean woud be great.

I am a double major in two pretty traditional science majors. I have been at a different state university (different from my interview ones) for now 5 years (graduating in May). I have a 4.0 GPA across the board, and a 30Q MCAT to boot. I underperformed a bit on test day, but I'm glad to have a score that is respectable I believe.

A little bit about me:
-I have worked for a couple years as a general chemistry laboratory instructor for the university.
-I've done a few months of research and shadowing at a hospital for a trauma department.
-I've shadowed some more in the E.R.
-I've volunteered in the E.R.
-I've tutored.
-I've volunteered in the pre-school at a church.
-I've worked as a personal trainer.
-Worked as my former calculus professor's personal assistant for the calculus course.
-I have my honors.
-And I have other random service projects that I threw into one category since they didn't deserve their own on AMCAS.
-I'm definitely disadvantaged status too. Still live in the ghetto.

I started the pre-med trech a little later than most I think (i.e. at the end of my 2nd year once I was sure this was what I wanted), so most of my good EC's began around then.

Any input on what to expect might ease my nerves. I'd love some thoughtful insight on what I should and shouldn't expect. This waiting game is killing me.

Last thing: I applied to very appropriate schools based on my #'s. Washington University was my only crazy one. The rest are about low 40's and above when it comes to rankings.

Thank you very much, folks!

No offense but whenever I see someone with a 4.0 GPA and an MCAT score of only 30, something jumps out at me: "WTF, how did he get a UG 4.0? Was this school stupid easy?" Just be prepared to answer that question.

No offense but whenever I see someone with a 4.0 GPA and an MCAT score of only 30, something jumps out at me: "WTF, how did he get a UG 4.0? Was this school stupid easy?" Just be prepared to answer that question.

You speak as if a 30 is easy to get (you'll offend a lot of people who struggle to hit that mark with that attitude) and as if maybe I didn't choke on my test, which I did. I was shooting for a 33/34. Also, you act as if the MCAT and the undergraduate performance reflect the same things. Furthermore, maybe I didn't study very long for the MCAT. Standardized tests and academic performance don't test the same exact things even if there may be some overlap in what leads you to be successful in both. If someone asks me, I'd be surprised.

Thanks for your input though. :screwy:

You speak as if a 30 is easy to get (you'll offend a lot of people who struggle to hit that mark with that attitude) and as if maybe I didn't choke on my test, which I did. I was shooting for a 33/34. Also, you act as if the MCAT and the undergraduate performance reflect the same things. Furthermore, maybe I didn't study very long for the MCAT. Standardized tests and academic performance don't test the same exact things even if there may be some overlap in what leads you to be successful in both. If someone asks me, I'd be surprised.

Thanks for your input though. :screwy:

That's exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how you go about it but you'll have to chop yourself up in someway. A 30 isn't a bad score at all but unless your UG is well known at whatever med school you're at I think it is a very possible question. I'd have something in mind, just in case. Best of luck.

Bump bump bump.

I always wonder about this as well. I had a friend with a 4.0 who couldn't get higher than a 28 on the MCAT and she is very smart. my GPA is below average for matriculants (it is between a 3.4 and 3.5) but I got a 34 on the MCAT.

anyway, I think you will get in somewhere OP. your GPA is perfect and a 30 is a good MCAT score. the average MCAT for matriculants is 31, but average cGPA is 3.67 and average BCPM is 3.6 so you are way above average with that GPA and essentially average for MCAT.
I will be very surprised if you don't get in somewhere this cycle