4.0 GPA 24/26 MCAT Athlete lots of service hours and experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSDSN2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I would love is I could get honest opinions on my chances of MD and DO school. I know my chances at MD are slim, but I'm hoping for DO as well. I am a reapplicant. Graduated with a 4.0 in Bio from a mid tier university. I was the captain of football team, tons of service hours within my football team, spent 2 years on a church/service mission in Africa, working as a scribe in the ER, shadowed a DO for 2 months, volunteering a a homeleless clinic, and was a teacher in my church. I got a 22 on my first mcat last which i didnt have much time to study for as i was still in football. My year off i got a 26 (10,9,7) in july and now a 24 888 in august scores. I had a death in the family in August and really think that threw off my mind for the test. I know my mcat scores are pretty bad, but I was hoping anyone would have some suggestions on my chances on md and do schools. I have already applied and sent some secondaries back for amcas, and my aacomas was recently verified last week. Also if anyone could reccomend schools that take your highest score as opposed to lastest that would be helpful, I really dont want to take the mcat again though, but is that neccessary for DO schools or do I have a decent shot for Do?

btw my aacomas was verified last week and i applied to

A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if someone could please help i would be extremely grateful!

You'll be fine. NFL is really popular these days. GO COWBOYS!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm serious. I think you'll be fine for DO schools.

Im no expert but I think with those extra curriculars and your gpa you have a good shot at DO and probably even a shot at an average MD school. The plus side about your mcat is that it's balanced and your doing okay in verbal. Sounds like you really need to work on your content review. I see no reason why a student with a 4.0 can't get a least a 28.I would consider retaking the mcat again but only if you work really hard and you are confident you can top a 26. I would also consider taking a prep course if you haven't already because it may just be your study technique that is holding you back. Anyways sorry for ranting that is just my opinion.

not thanks i really appreciate the feedback! honestly i dont know if i can handle sitting out another year though if i dont get accepted to any schools...and the thing on the practice tests i was averageing a 27-29...i dont chocke when i get to the test center...i just felt the material i learned in the my review was not on point with the material i am being tested on...for ex no specifics but the bio section i dont know how the heck i was suppposed to prepare for that lol

not thanks i really appreciate the feedback! honestly i dont know if i can handle sitting out another year though if i dont get accepted to any schools...and the thing on the practice tests i was averageing a 27-29...i dont chocke when i get to the test center...i just felt the material i learned in the my review was not on point with the material i am being tested on...for ex no specifics but the bio section i dont know how the heck i was suppposed to prepare for that lol

I know what you mean about biology and it is actually my best section. It seems to have more of a verbal section feel to it than just straight up content knowledge. If you do decide to do the MCAT again, try to read journal articles and summarize the result in your head. This I felt helped me with the later AAMC practice exams. I also have a mini concept map I create to help me with each passage (I use a lot of abbreviations and arrows; I try to not use a lot of words). This helps me understand the passage as a whole and where to zero in on a specific question. I also use this technique on detail oriented verbal passages as well. The down side to this technique is that it does take time to write so it isn't for every one. I just thought I would give a helpful study tool, if you do decided to take the test again.

Good luck with applications!

Hi I would love is I could get honest opinions on my chances of MD and DO school. I know my chances at MD are slim, but I'm hoping for DO as well. I am a reapplicant. Graduated with a 4.0 in Bio from a mid tier university. I was the captain of football team, tons of service hours within my football team, spent 2 years on a church/service mission in Africa, working as a scribe in the ER, shadowed a DO for 2 months, volunteering a a homeleless clinic, and was a teacher in my church. I got a 22 on my first mcat last which i didnt have much time to study for as i was still in football. My year off i got a 26 (10,9,7) in july and now a 24 888 in august scores. I had a death in the family in August and really think that threw off my mind for the test. I know my mcat scores are pretty bad, but I was hoping anyone would have some suggestions on my chances on md and do schools. I have already applied and sent some secondaries back for amcas, and my aacomas was recently verified last week. Also if anyone could reccomend schools that take your highest score as opposed to lastest that would be helpful, I really dont want to take the mcat again though, but is that neccessary for DO schools or do I have a decent shot for Do?

btw my aacomas was verified last week and i applied to

A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of Pikeville-Kentucky, College of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR

Even with your moderately late application, I would be shocked if you didn't get into a DO school with 4.0/26.

Your MCAT is high enough to pass screening at most schools and your GPA is perfect. I have more confidence in your stats than in my own (<3.30/33) and I got an acceptance.