4.0 GPA/32 MCAT (11/9/12). Need school advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drzr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just got my MCAT score back. Already submitted AMCAS and considering withdrawing from certain schools and changing my school list, so I would really appreciate help with deciding which ones to add or take out. Here are my stats/ECs/info:

4.0 GPA from large public university in Michigan
Human Bio major, Anthropology minor
32 MCAT (11 PS/9VR/12BS). Really bummed about that verbal and wondering how it will impact schools' evaluation of me

ECs:
~100 hrs physician shadowing
~500 hours volunteering in non clinical setting. awarded service scholarships for this
~150 clinical volunteering
~500 hrs biomedical research in a cancer lab
~4 public health research studies, 2 presentations/posters, no pubs though
~One national scholarship, one year long fellowship
~many academic scholarships from my university
~worked as a resident assistant for two years and a personal assistant for a student with cerebral palsy in the summer
~200 hrs Editor of a journal
~300 hours founder and president of a clinical research and volunteer club
~100 hrs IM soccer team manager

6 Great LOR: Two from research mentors, two sci prof, one non sci prof, one employer

Schools I sent my Primary app to:
Michigan State
UMichigan
Wayne State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Georgetown
George Washington
Stanford
Yale
Hopkins
Pitt (thinking about dropping)
Brown
Duke

Because of my MCAT score, a lot of these are now reach schools. Please let me know which you think I should drop, and which you think would be appropriate to add! Let me know if you have questions and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Goro suggests:
ALL MI schools except U MI.
Drexel
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
-Penn State
Drexel
-Jefferson
Tulane
U Miami
-Temple
VCU
Tufts
-Eastern Virginia
-Virginia Tech
-Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
-Wake Forest
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Rush
Creighton
-Albany
-Einsten
-NY Medical College
MSUCOM
MUCOM
CCOM

Goro suggests:
ALL MI schools except U MI.
Drexel
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
-Penn State
Drexel
-Jefferson
Tulane
U Miami
-Temple
VCU
Tufts
-Eastern Virginia
-Virginia Tech
-Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
-Wake Forest
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Rush
Creighton
-Albany
-Einsten
-NY Medical College
MSUCOM
MUCOM
CCOM

You think it's that bad? I was really only concerned about my verbal. Does it weigh in that much that it negates my other qualifications? You're saying get rid of even GW and Brown, Georgetown, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a seller's market, so med schools can afford to turn away quality candidates like yourself. A 32 is a tad above avg, but well below avg for U MI. However, as you can see, you're competitive for a lot of other schools.

Brown I dislike recommending because they highly favor their UGs. G-town and GW and tons of apps and so I think you can do better elsewhere. But, you are competitive for all three. So, your call.

You think it's that bad? I was really only concerned about my verbal. Does it weigh in that much that it negates my other qualifications? You're saying get rid of even GW and Brown, Georgetown, etc.?