4.0 gpa, 33 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmbusclas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am relatively new here but just looking for some thoughts on my school selections. I am an Illinois resident and live in the Metro-East area (just outside St. Louis). I am 26 years old, male, and not a URM.

I graduate this fall with a biology major (emphasis in cellular biology) and a chemistry and psychology minor.

Work experience: 5 years United States Marine Corps (3 combat tours)
Supplemental Instruction Leader: 700 hours
Tutor: 200 hours (most of these hours I did for free for underprivileged students)
Volunteer Experience: >500 hours
Shadowing: 100 hours
Clinical Experience: 50 hours (definitely lacking but I saw a real opportunity to help others with my role as a Supplemental Instruction leader which consumed most of my time)
Research: 100 hours
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 33

School List

Reaches
WashU
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Pritzker
Columbia

Fits
SLU
Rush
Creighton
Loyola-Stritch
Emory
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville

Safeties
Southern Illinois
USUHS
Rosalind Franklin

My wife and I both have strong ties to the Midwest and the St. Louis region so my goal is to stay here. SLU is my top choice but obviously we are willing to move anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Good list; aim high. Scratch Emory and replace it with MCW.

Hey all,

I am relatively new here but just looking for some thoughts on my school selections. I am an Illinois resident and live in the Metro-East area (just outside St. Louis). I am 26 years old, male, and not a URM.

I graduate this fall with a biology major (emphasis in cellular biology) and a chemistry and psychology minor.

Work experience: 5 years United States Marine Corps (3 combat tours)
Supplemental Instruction Leader: 700 hours
Tutor: 200 hours (most of these hours I did for free for underprivileged students)
Volunteer Experience: >500 hours
Shadowing: 100 hours
Clinical Experience: 50 hours (definitely lacking but I saw a real opportunity to help others with my role as a Supplemental Instruction leader which consumed most of my time)
Research: 100 hours
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 33

School List

Reaches
WashU
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Pritzker
Columbia

Fits
SLU
Rush
Creighton
Loyola-Stritch
Emory
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville

Safeties
Southern Illinois
USUHS
Rosalind Franklin

My wife and I both have strong ties to the Midwest and the St. Louis region so my goal is to stay here. SLU is my top choice but obviously we are willing to move anywhere.

Any suggestions?

You shouldn't have a problem. Is your MCAT balanced?

Thankfully the only school on your list that I'm applying to is Columbia. That one's mine:p, sorry, :D I called it, you stay away!

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have a problem. Is your MCAT balanced?

Thankfully the only school on your list that I'm applying to is Columbia. That one's mine:p, sorry, :D I called it, you stay away!

Yea, I would say so. PS 11, VR 10, BS 12. I dropped 2 points from my average verbal score, so angry. Oh well.