4.0 GPA, 37 MCAT but only 1 semester research, unpublished. Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an AZ resident, 1st-time applicant in my last year at University of Arizona. I have fairly strong basic statistics, but I've only spent one semester doing research so far and I don't have much to show for it. I have plenty of volunteering experience, clinical and otherwise. My problem is that all the great schools seem to especially value research, and I'm not sure where to apply.

I don't care so much about prestige, just places I can get in (and ideally be in the least debt upon graduation). UACOM is my first choice obviously. Other recommendations?

Schools I'm currently considering:
Arizona
Wisconsin
Baylor
Mayo
Stanford
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UT Houston
UT Southwestern

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Your app sounds good! I would definitely add some more schools though. Your list is top heavy and OOS state school heavy. That's not to say you won't get any action from the schools you've listed, but best to play it safe! I'd be surprised if you don't get into your state school.

I would add your other state school (Phoneix or Tuscon, depending on which you haven't added) add some mid-tiers as well. Consider schools like Ohio state, NYU, Einstein, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be nervous applying to that few schools. Also, Wisconsin isn't really OOS friendly to applicants who don't have ties to the region.

I'd be nervous applying to that few schools. Also, Wisconsin isn't really OOS friendly to applicants who don't have ties to the region.

The Texas schools aren't very OOS friendly either... Look at private schools in NYC (Rochester, NYU, Mount Sinai), Chicago (Rush, Loyola, UChicago), Philly (Temple, Penn, Jefferson), and DC (GT and GW). Also check out Downstate in NYU. They have only around 20% OOS but from what i'm read on the school specifics they seem to like west coasters.

Now that i've helped you (or so i hope), you help me. Being a Zona student, which campus do you like better, Phoenix or Tuscon? How do you like living in Zona? Have you lived there for long? I will be applying next year and the Zona schools have interested me. I am OOS but I think their OOS rates have been going up, correct?

Don't worry about the research. Aim high!

Arizona
Wisconsin
Baylor
Mayo
Stanford
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UT Houston
UT Southwestern

Suggest adding Duke, JHU, some of the Ivies, U UT, Northwestern, Loyola, Tulane, U Miami, Emory

Coming from someone with the exact same stats and similar ECs I'd say your list is definitely top heavy. Apply much more broadly for sure.

I also have about the same stats and lack of research. I think it depends a lot on if you are interested in research! If you are not interested, then there is less incentive to apply to top tiers. If you do like research, I would aim high, (IE don't remove any of your top tiers on your list just because they are top tiers), but add in a few more safety/midtier schools just in case. If you hate research, you should add a lot more mid-tiers that value service and clinical more than research.

Thanks for all the help--if you guys have more suggestions for service/clinical-oriented schools based on your experience, keep 'em coming! Obviously I've been perusing MSAR but it only gets you so far.

Omppu7, I grew up in Tucson but I only transferred to University of Arizona for fall of 2012 (from Claremont McKenna College in CA). I personally much prefer Tucson to Phoenix, it's more relaxed and has more of a small-town feel despite being huge. I haven't visited the Phoenix campus, but it's pretty new and I've heard they're more interested in research than Tucson. The Tucson campus is really cool, students seem happy and relaxed (for med students). As for Arizona in general, if you can handle the heat it's a good place to live. I think the desert is gorgeous, but I know a lot of people who think there's nothing to do in Tucson. Definitely a judgment call. And yeah, I think OOS rates have been going up recently and weren't actually that low to begin with, AZ only has a 50% in-state quota I think.

Hi all,

I'm an AZ resident, 1st-time applicant in my last year at University of Arizona. I have fairly strong basic statistics, but I've only spent one semester doing research so far and I don't have much to show for it. I have plenty of volunteering experience, clinical and otherwise. My problem is that all the great schools seem to especially value research, and I'm not sure where to apply.

I don't care so much about prestige, just places I can get in (and ideally be in the least debt upon graduation). UACOM is my first choice obviously. Other recommendations?

Arizona
Wisconsin
Baylor
Mayo
Stanford
Michigan
Vanderbilt

UT Houston
UT Southwestern

Thanks guys!

Way too top heavy

Your list is top heavy. You are competitive for those schools but applying to too few schools with THAT many recieving at ;east 5 strong applications identical to yours for every 1 spot that is not a gamble I would personally take.

Instead of focusing on which schools value clinical experience (all schools do) look to not apply to schools that are very focused on research (th one the right away comes to mind is Stanford which happens to be one of the very few schools on your list).

My main point is that even though you are a strong candidate (assuming your nonresearch activities are truly as spectactular as you think) applying to 9 schools with 5 being a reach for anyone and 3 being out of state public schools which prefer their home team is stupid.

If Arizona is your first choice then as back up have the other schools not all be super reach schools, have them as more of a backup if Arizona does not give you any love.

The Texas schools aren't very OOS friendly either... Look at private schools in NYC (Rochester, NYU, Mount Sinai), Chicago (Rush, Loyola, UChicago), Philly (Temple, Penn, Jefferson), and DC (GT and GW). Also check out Downstate in NYU. They have only around 20% OOS but from what i'm read on the school specifics they seem to like west coasters.

Now that i've helped you (or so i hope), you help me. Being a Zona student, which campus do you like better, Phoenix or Tuscon? How do you like living in Zona? Have you lived there for long? I will be applying next year and the Zona schools have interested me. I am OOS but I think their OOS rates have been going up, correct?

Not trying to be that guy or anything, but the University of Rochester is in Rochester, not NYC. But seriously, it's also actually fairly in-state biased, as 3.1% of IS get accepted vs 1.6% OS. What matters there isn't even the bias though, it's the absurdly low acceptance rate overall. Even with a 4.0 and a great MCAT, I wouldn't consider that one an obvious add. I'm in-state with a 3.52 gpa and 37 MCAT and highly doubt I'll even get an interview there, and I have strong volunteer and research experience.

Temple and TJU are definite adds. I'll assume you mean NYU medical college (SUNY Downstate is a state school and as such heavily IS biased) which I also disagree with for the same reasons I disagree with U of R.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I did a lot of research on my own and put together a new (and hopefully more informed) list.

Einstein
Boston U
Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
GW
Mount Sinai
TJU
Johns Hopkins
USC Keck
Loyola
Mayo
MCW
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwestern
Ohio State
Oregon Health & Science
Rush
St. Louis U
Stanford
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
Buffalo SUNY
Arizona Tucson + Phoenix
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
Cincinnati
Colorado
Maryland
Miami
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Rochester
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
Utah
Virginia
U Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

The list is much too long, and I'd like to get it down to 15 or so schools so I can focus well on the secondaries. Stanford, Vandy and Hopkins are obviously long shots but a kid's gotta dream. Any schools to definitely drop?

Thanks!

Oregon Health (OHSU) has a heavy WWAMI region bias - just so you know. Colorado and Utah both have an in-state bias (Utah more so - you'll need significant ties to get in OOS. They also have very rigid LOR requirements).

Boston U, GW both get a very high volume of applications - for many, it's a waste of money to apply so unless you have a compelling reason to attend either, I would consider removing them.

Wisconsin isn't really OOS friendly to applicants who don't have ties to the region.

I second this. Also, I believe Mayo is a very research oriented school, so if you're not into that might want to drop it.

Anyway, Bear Down!

I edited the list down a lot--anyone have comments? I'd love to get it down to 15. I just can't make myself delete great schools I might have a chance getting into, and yet I'm scared of deleting a lower-tier school if I get in nowhere.

Reach:
Baylor
Duke
Mayo (Rochester, MN)
Mount Sinai (NYC)
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Northwestern (Chicago)

Hard:
Keck @ USC
UCI
Dartmouth (Hanover)
Oregon Health & Science (Portland)
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
Wisconsin

Reasonable:
Arizona x 2
UT Galveston (free to apply, no secondary app)
Jefferson (Philadelphia)
Tulane (New Orleans)
Georgetown (DC)

Thanks!

Suggest adding some of the Ivies, Duke, Loyola, Pitt, more of the U Tx's; NYU, all the schools in Philly, Wash U (maybe), U CO; USC

Arizona
Wisconsin
Baylor
Mayo
Stanford
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UT Houston
UT Southwestern