4.0 uGPA, 39 MCAT, EC's good enough for the top?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinclus

Vitamin H Purveyor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know my numbers are really strong, but I'm kind of worried about my below-average clinical experience and volunteering. I am applying this cycle, definitely to some in-state safeties, but I also feel like I can apply to the high-ranking research schools, based on my numbers and my years of research experience. I have provided a tentative school list beneath my info. What do you all think? Go for more top schools? Fewer? Do I have too many safeties? Are there any other schools you could suggest?

uGPA:4.0
grad GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 39N (12 PS, 12 VR, 15 BS).

I'm a full-time grad student and Florida resident.
I will have my Master's by December.
I have 3+ years of molecular biology research experience.
I have plenty of long-term hobbies, awards, honors, and scholarships.
I was a grad student TA for 2 years and for 5 different courses.
I have about 110 hours of ER volunteering.
I have 30 hours of shadowing in two different specialties.
I only have about 15 non-clinical, post-high school volunteer hours.
I will be continuing my ER volunteering and the shadowing.
I have AWESOME LORs, including a fantastic one from my grad PI.

Tentative school list:

Florida Atlantic University
University of Florida
University of South Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Miami

Emory University

University of Alabama

Wake Forest University
University of North Carolina
Duke University

Vanderbilt University

Cornell University

Tulane University

University of Virginia

I appreciate everyone's help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to more top, you are more than qualified

The application process for the top schools are always unpredictable, but you stand as good of a chance as anyone else. You're a little light on the clinical side of things, so that may hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably be attractive for top schools due to the research. The clinical and shadow is on the low side, though.

Ever think of becoming a nurse? You're going to need OVER 5000 clinical hours.

Here's the list of schools I have applied to so far. I modified the original list. Should I add more? More mid-tier? I was thinking of adding U South FL, another state school. Opinions, please?

Florida Atlantic University (safety)
University of Florida
University of Central Florida (safety)
University of Miami

Emory University

Wake Forest University
University of North Carolina
Duke University

Vanderbilt University

Washington University

Dartmouth College

Yale University

Brown University

University of Virginia

Last edited:
Dude, think higher man, why not throw in some Harvards and Dukes in there? You (especially) will (probably) only apply once, why not go for it?

Dude, think higher man, why not throw in some Harvards and Dukes in there? You (especially) will (probably) only apply once, why not go for it?

I'll very likely add Duke. They intimidate more than the others, which is why I've been holding off. I haven't added certain other top-tier schools because I'm not so fond of the locations (NYC, Chicago, etc.). I really like what I see about the programs at Cornell, U Chicago, and Northwestern, though. Should I add 'em and decide after I interview (that is, IF I get interviews at these ones)?

If you don't apply to Hopkins you're a fool... apply all around see what you get... add Mayo to the list cause MN rocks...

Last edited:
If you don't apply to Hopkins you're a fool... apply all around see what you get... add Mayo to the list cause MN rocks...

yeah mayo, they'll throw some money your way

yeah mayo, they'll throw some money your way

I've heard they're really big on non-clinical volunteering, of which I've performed very little since high school.

Also, I just had a new thought. I have some family in Pennsylvania. You think this could help my chances with U Penn? I hadn't really considered them before, since I don't tend to like the large, northern cities. I was considering Baylor, but I haven't filled out the Texas schools app. Does it have the same crazy AMCAS-esque verfication/transcript-sending process?

I've heard they're really big on non-clinical volunteering, of which I've performed very little since high school.

Also, I just had a new thought. I have some family in Pennsylvania. You think this could help my chances with U Penn? I hadn't really considered them before, since I don't tend to like the large, northern cities. I was considering Baylor, but I haven't filled out the Texas schools app. Does it have the same crazy AMCAS-esque verfication/transcript-sending process?

If I'm not mistaken, Baylor is on AMCAS as well?

^ as stated Baylor is with the others amcas. You may have meant ut southwestern and yes tmdsas has a ridiculous transcript verification/send in process.

apply to a lot of top schools if you want to get in. it's such a random process. look at NickNaylor's MDApps to get an idea.

apply to a lot of top schools if you want to get in. it's such a random process. look at NickNaylor's MDApps to get an idea.

Yeah, I think it's definitely a good idea to apply to a lot, though I'm hoping having demonstrated an interest in research will help me significantly with the top schools. Based on what I saw at MDApps, Nick had no research experience (no offense intended to him; I recall him mentioning he just wasn't very interested in research, and not lying about it when asked at interviews). I am interested in research, and I'm hoping the research giants will dig my 3+ years. But yeah, still a random process, still going to apply to more schools.

I added Duke. I'm thinking of adding U Chicago, Northwestern, Baylor, U Penn (I have family ties to PA, though I'm not sure they'd care), and Johns Hopkins (I'm on the fence here because Baltimore scares me).