MD 4.0cGPA, 30MCAT School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterPan94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, first time posting, I would appreciate any help in finalizing/editing my school list.

STATS:
VA Resident
cGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 30
Just finished up my junior year in undergrad.

Healthcare Experience: 300 hours volunteering in emergency department/pediatrics department
Shadowing: 85 hours
Community Service: 120 hours, currently volunteer with United 2 Heal and I am on a committee responsible for shipping out medical supplies
Research Experience: About 220 hours, however, because AMCAS allows us to put a future end date and approximate hours, I will have ~520 hours by the time I graduate next May. No publications/presentations, however one of my abstracts was accepted to 2 conferences, couldn't attend due to $$. Additionally, the research I am currently doing is Masters level work according to my PI.
Leadership/Work Experience: Teaching assistant for Cellular Biology, 1 semester, 42 hours. Children's Camp Leader, Summer 2013 and Summer 2015, will have approximately 500 hours.

SCHOOL LIST:
1. University of Alabama
2. University of Arizona at Tucson
3. University of Central Florida
4. University of Miami
5. University of South Florida
6. Chicago Rosalind Franklin
7. Rush
8. Indiana University
9. Oakland University
10. Boonshoft SOM Wright State University
11. University of Oklahoma
12. Drexel
13. Penn State
14. EVMS
15. VCU
16. West VA Marshall University
17. West Virginia University

Again, any help is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your list looks good. However, U Alabama doesn't take many out of state students. With that said, I'd remove it. Here are my suggestions:

Albany
NYMC
Rochester
Einstein
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mr Interesting Thanks for the reply. I believe U Alabama accepted 2.5% of OOS applications from last cycle? Also, the other schools you mentioned have MCAT averages of 32+ (ie. NYMC 32, Rochester 33/34, Dartmouth 33/34). Despite them being private and accepting more applicants from OOS, I do not believe I am competitive enough with my MCAT score, unless I am mistaken?

Hmm... the last time I checked U Alabama seemed to strongly favor their in state students. I'll double check on that when I can get to my MSAR a little bit later.

Also, you are in the 10th percentile with the schools I suggested. You have an adequate amount of "on target" schools, I don't see a problem with adding a few small reaches.

Bump. Thinking of removing a school from Florida so I will only be applying to 2 there, and thinking of removing Drexel as they prefer NJ residents :/ thoughts? I would like to keep my list at 15/16 schools maximum.

BUMP. Re-edited my school list:

1. University of Alabama
2. University of Arizona at Tucson
3. Frank H. Netter at Quinnipiac
4. University of Central Florida
5. University of South Florida
6. Rosalind and Franklin
7. Indiana University
8. Oakland University
9. Boonshoft Wright State University
10. University of Oklahoma
11. Penn State
12. South Carolina Greenville
13. EVMS
14. VCU
15. West VA Marshall University
16. West VA University

Thoughts? Haven't received much as much feedback from SDN as I had hoped...

Not much we can really do to help you further...I think you're lowballing yourself a little bit. Go for places where 30 is at least within the 10th percentile. Aim for private schools without IS/OOS treatment. The list is good, just add on a couple more higher MCAT places and you're fine.

@The Real SVB ahh ok I understand what you're saying. I was contemplating adding UVA since I am in-state, also I will have to re-check the MSAR and see what schools I would like to add lol

Here is a more realistic list. State schools favor the home team, with a few exceptions as given here:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest