4 Options, seeking some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoloCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in grade 12 and looking to apply into medical very soon, but there is a lot of different opinions being thrown at me via parents, teachers, etc. It's corned down to four main options I thought I'd tell you what I know and someone can correct me and give me some advice and more maybe more info, thanks.

Goal: Practise Medicine in either the States or Canada (preferably Canada since I'm Canadian)

1)Europe(What I think I know):
-6 years?
-Generally the most expensive
-Needs equalisation if applying from a Canadian high school
-Degree isn't always recognised in Canada?
2)Caribbean(What I think I know):
-5 years?
-Small chance of getting residency in Canada so mostly likely be practising in the US
-Low entrance standards and easier to get in
3)Canada(What I think I know):
-8 years in total (4 undergrad+4 MS)
-Not the best chances of getting into MS after pre med
4)US(What I think I know):
-8 years in total
-Better chances of getting into MS after pre med

Members don't see this ad.

Your list is all wrong. Because you've started with the premise that no matter where you go to medical school, it's all the same in the end. It isn't.

So, your real list is:

1. Go to college in Canada or the US. Being from Canada, you probably want to go to school there as it's much cheaper. Do well. Target a GPA of > 3.7. Take the MCAT and do well on that too.
2a. Apply to Canadian Medical Schools, and get in. Failing that:
2b. Apply to US medical schools, and get in. Not all US schools allow international applicants.
2c. If neither of those work, try again at least once or twice. Improve your application. Impossible to tell you how without knowing the details -- might be retaking the MCAT and doing better, or doing a post bac, or grade replacement for your DO gpa.
2d. If all of that fails, then CONSIDER going to school in the carib or another international school. This may or may not be a good choice.

Don't end up taking a "shortcut" and going to medical school right from HS because it exists in another country. This is very bad advice.

Also , make sure you want to do this, and not being pushed by your parents.

Reactions: 1 user
Also , make sure you want to do this, and not being pushed by your parents.

Best advice so far. I've seen a person doing something what his parents wanted him to do and that was a failure... Generally I guess that we've all heard about stories children doing what their parents were telling them to do and they were nobody, but when they started doing what they want they became the BEST in that. so just follow your heart.