#4 Top Job :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I just saw APTA posted this on facebook a few days ago

If you look through some of the other lists they have, Physical Therapy Directors are also listed #1 for job satisfaction and #2 for benefit to society. Not a bad place to aim for!

Unfortunately, this means more people entering the field, though. It's kind of like nursing... for years nursing was touted as such a great career, there was such a shortage of nurses... and now, nurses are graduating and unable to find the jobs they were promised would just fall into their hands. Advertising something as a top job is rarely good for the field, aside from letting the general public know that the job is skilled and requires significant amounts of education. (That is a good thing in misunderstood fields.)

Unfortunately, this means more people entering the field, though. It's kind of like nursing... for years nursing was touted as such a great career, there was such a shortage of nurses... and now, nurses are graduating and unable to find the jobs they were promised would just fall into their hands. Advertising something as a top job is rarely good for the field, aside from letting the general public know that the job is skilled and requires significant amounts of education. (That is a good thing in misunderstood fields.)

Yes...but unlike nursing, PT school is not something everyone can get in to. Now, before the bashing starts, I have a huge respect for nurses, and there are some fantastic nursing programs out there. But, unlike nursing where someone can enter the field after 2 years of a community college program, PT school involves a lot more academic work and financial obligations (aside from PTA, but that's a different career). I know there are master's of nursing programs, and that nurses can become NPs (I only see a NP, never my MD. Love her), but I know plenty of people who decided they didn't like what they did, so they went to nursing school (comm college) to do a career switch. A lot of people did that with teaching too (also an oversaturated market, although that requires a 4 year degree). My point is, PT is not something people will be able to successfully do just because it was listed as being a top career - it takes a lot more hard work and the financial payoff isn't necessarily that great to justify all the work if you're not 100% committed to it.

BUt you're right, it will lead to an increase interest in the field. It will be up to the PT programs to make sure they keep their admission numbers within a manageable size as to not flood the market or sacrifice academic credibility.

Yes...but unlike nursing, PT school is not something everyone can get in to. Now, before the bashing starts, I have a huge respect for nurses, and there are some fantastic nursing programs out there. But, unlike nursing where someone can enter the field after 2 years of a community college program, PT school involves a lot more academic work and financial obligations (aside from PTA, but that's a different career). I know there are master's of nursing programs, and that nurses can become NPs (I only see a NP, never my MD. Love her), but I know plenty of people who decided they didn't like what they did, so they went to nursing school (comm college) to do a career switch. A lot of people did that with teaching too (also an oversaturated market, although that requires a 4 year degree). My point is, PT is not something people will be able to successfully do just because it was listed as being a top career - it takes a lot more hard work and the financial payoff isn't necessarily that great to justify all the work if you're not 100% committed to it.

BUt you're right, it will lead to an increase interest in the field. It will be up to the PT programs to make sure they keep their admission numbers within a manageable size as to not flood the market or sacrifice academic credibility.

And now aren't we all moving towards a DPT, which will make things more difficult?

My point stands. It's not just about comparing nursing programs and PT programs. I didn't mean to say they were the same. The requirements to get into a PT program (I'm thinking DPT for people with other majors) are numerous, but not at all impossible. There are a lot of people who have either already completed those requirements or who have time on their hands to complete those requirements. There are also people in college now who are in a good position to study PT (unlike those who need to go back to pick up the prereqs), either as their first choice, or who might switch to PT. The market can still get flooded.

I was previously in a field which required at least 6 years of education post-high-school... it became a "hot job" and suddenly all the openings which had made it a "hot job" dried up and now all the people who flocked to masters programs are having a hard time getting a job (and it was like that before this recession.)

It's good to be recognized but it can also be detrimental.