4 year HPSP spots remaining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got mine yesterday. Anyone know when we begin to receive our stipend? Soon after signing our oath? Soon after beginning classes? What about the bonus, when does that clear? Thanks!

Once you actually matriculate. You don't get a stipend for sitting around waiting for school to start.

Members don't see this ad.

After you received your final select letter did you have to do anything before you commissioned? My letter was dated Mar 22 and my recruiter said he is still waiting for commissioning documents, does that seem like too long?

Members don't see this ad :)
After you received your final select letter did you have to do anything before you commissioned? My letter was dated Mar 22 and my recruiter said he is still waiting for commissioning documents, does that seem like too long?

I'm still waiting, been waiting at least as long as you, sorry if that isn't too helpful, but at least know you aren't the only one who's waiting for the documents and the oath, etc. :)

I received my final select letter on March 30th, and am scheduled to commission this coming Friday. My recruiter says my commissioning documents should be ready by tomorrow or wednesday. hope that helps

It does, thank you! I just like to check because if it was up to my recruiter he would never contact me.

I had my Oath Cremony this past Friday 04/06 and I signed all the paperwork. My recruiter told me that I have to wait until school starts to receive my first stipend and I received the President's commisioning letter but I'm not sure about "the commission documents" you talked about.

I had my Oath Cremony this past Friday 04/06 and I signed all the paperwork. My recruiter told me that I have to wait until school starts to receive my first stipend and I received the President's commisioning letter but I'm not sure about "the commission documents" you talked about.
Pretty sure the commissioning documents we are talking about are all the paperwork that you sign at the commissioning. I am officially commissioning and taking my oath of office tomorrow, and the recruiter sent over the documents two days ago for me to review

Are we still awaiting word from the march board?

Thanks

My letter was dated Mar 22 but I was supposed to have been on the February board... Sorry if that doesn't help much!

Kahr, did ou also get your commissioning documents?

It helps... Gives an indication of the turn around time involved.

Appreciate it!

Recruiter just informed me that my scroll was approved and now up for the next DC board

I just got off the phone with Navy Recruiting Command Los Angeles and I was told the Dental HPSP is 84% full (52/62) with 38 candiates awaiting the board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the phone with Navy Recruiting Command Los Angeles and I was told the Dental HPSP is 84% full (52/62) with 38 candiates awaiting the board.

Well..I guess if this is true it doesn't look good for me.

Does anyone know when the board will meet again?

20 spots can be taken because some are reserved for Midshipman.
Incorrect. Midshipmen are not reserved spoys for HPSP. Those 20 were provided one the new budget requriements were sorted out, hence it was after the beginiing of the new Fiscal Year. Also, those folks get their tuition back paid to the begining of the semester/term they are in when they commission. If Navy, they also get their $20,000 bonus. They do LOSE the stipend for the few months they already attended school as that is not "back payable". I am a recruiter, so hope this clears up some questions.

Does anyone know when the board will meet again?
The board dates in medical and dental programs are rolling which means they are not as "firm" as other communities. We recruiters normally don't know until the week the board meets. I believe the last board was on the 9th of April. The next board could be late April or early May. Wish I had a better answer.

The board dates in medical and dental programs are rolling which means they are not as "firm" as other communities. We recruiters normally don't know until the week the board meets. I believe the last board was on the 9th of April. The next board could be late April or early May. Wish I had a better answer.

Thank so much for the info! Do you know if there is any validity to what an earlier poster said about there are maybe 10 spots left for the HPSP?

Question for Navymedicalfind: how soon after an application gets seen by a board does the applicant hear back with their decision? Thanks!

Thank so much for the info! Do you know if there is any validity to what an earlier poster said about there are maybe 10 spots left for the HPSP?

I called the recruiter in LA and she looked up the available spots. Want me to sign an affidavit?

No, I believe you I just want to see if the navy recruiter on here has the same data. But thanks TheGMan for sharing what you were told!

I received a final select letter in February, however it says I can't commission until after August 1st. Has anyone else heard or seen this? My recruiter said the Navy commissions in waves to spread out the funding, yet people that received letters later have commissioned.

Thanks

I received a final select letter in February, however it says I can't commission until after August 1st. Has anyone else heard or seen this? My recruiter said the Navy commissions in waves to spread out the funding, yet people that received letters later have commissioned.

Thanks

Your recruiter is right, that's how the Navy does it. When I got my final select letter, I had to wait until 1 September to commission.

Did that cause any problems with tuition or reimbursements?

No, it shouldn't cause any problems with your tuition payments. Just give your school a copy of your final select letter and let them know that you will commission on 1 August, and that they can expect tuition payment to start shortly after that. Your school has probably had a bunch of previous HPSP students, so they know what to do and should be willing to work with you. If they send you a tuition bill, DO NOT PAY IT. If you make a payment, it could mess up tuition payment that the Navy sends to the school, and it will be a huge pain to try and fix it to get your money back. I saw that happen with a classmate. As for your reimbursements, the only potential problem you could encounter would be if you purchased your books more than 45 days before the first semester starts. Your reimbursement claim would be denied.

No, it shouldn't cause any problems with your tuition payments. Just give your school a copy of your final select letter and let them know that you will commission on 1 August, and that they can expect tuition payment to start shortly after that. Your school has probably had a bunch of previous HPSP students, so they know what to do and should be willing to work with you. If they send you a tuition bill, DO NOT PAY IT. If you make a payment, it could mess up tuition payment that the Navy sends to the school, and it will be a huge pain to try and fix it to get your money back. I saw that happen with a classmate. As for your reimbursements, the only potential problem you could encounter would be if you purchased your books more than 45 days before the first semester starts. Your reimbursement claim would be denied.

It shouldn't cause any problems - however in my case I wasn't final selected until July and the tuition payment wasn't disbursed until early in the first semester - I had to have loans on board to pay for that first semester - as soon as the Navy money came in the school returned most of the loan funds.

This should not be a problem for anyone here as it appears most of you have been final selected already - I didn't even get to MEPS until June.

Does that delay your stipend payments?

You become eligible for stipend payments on your benefit start date (BSD), which is basically either your commissioning date or the first day of classes, whichever comes later. It will take a few weeks (3-6) after your BSD to before you start getting your stipend payments direct deposited into your bank account. You will be back-paid to the BSD. I suggest you read and become familiar with the Student Programs Handbook (NAVMEDMPT&EINST 1520.1D). It explains all this and a lot more stuff that will make your HPSP experience a pleasant one.

Anyone receive news about the scholarship lately?

Signed all the final documentation and took my Oath of Office yesterday!! :) so excited

When did you get your final select letter? I still haven't heard from my recruiter about getting my commisioning documents...

You become eligible for stipend payments on your benefit start date (BSD), which is basically either your commissioning date or the first day of classes, whichever comes later. It will take a few weeks (3-6) after your BSD to before you start getting your stipend payments direct deposited into your bank account. You will be back-paid to the BSD. I suggest you read and become familiar with the Student Programs Handbook (NAVMEDMPT&EINST 1520.1D). It explains all this and a lot more stuff that will make your HPSP experience a pleasant one.

Thanks!

Your recruiter is right, that's how the Navy does it. When I got my final select letter, I had to wait until 1 September to commission.

Do you have any idea why some people are receiving final select letters now and commissioning soon afterward, yet like myself, some people received their letters a couple months ago but cannot commission until a later date? Seems a little odd.

When did you get your final select letter? I still haven't heard from my recruiter about getting my commisioning documents...

My final select letter was received the last week of March. I go to school in a different city than where my recruiter is, but fortunately he already was coming down for a career fair and I could do my formal swearing in, etc. yesterday.

Do you have any idea why some people are receiving final select letters now and commissioning soon afterward, yet like myself, some people received their letters a couple months ago but cannot commission until a later date? Seems a little odd.

Funding. They'll only commission so many officers at a time.

Last edited:
I am in the process of completing my application for a 4 year HPSP scholarship. Does anyone know:

-Generally when the last applications are allowed to be submitted? I'm planning mid-May (I know, very late).
-If there is a high/medium/low chance that 3 year HPSPs will be made available next year for grad 2016.

I just saw the Army is laying off 24,000 people, so I'm concerned the Navy will follow suit and not see a need for as many dentists.

Thank you

I heard the board results are out today. Has anyone heard anything?

Did anyone hear anything about the April/may board meeting regarding the last scholarship spots??

Somebody said that they were put on the alternate list, so guess the results are out. I haven't heard anything from my recruiter. Still have my fingers crossed!

The Board put them on the alternate list? I thought the board could only recommend "yes" or "no"...

I talked to my recruiter and he said that "We should have an answer after May 19" ... So I guess I'll wait till then!

Ok - so I haven't seen a thorough analysis of exactly what the financial difference between HPSP and HSCP after the 8 years. I laid out what it would look like for me. I'll be starting at Columbia CDM in the fall. It appears to me that after the 8 years, the difference between HSCP and HPSP will be about 50k. I tried to copy and paste my Excel analysis in here but it will not let me format it correctly.

Last edited:
Figured out how to attach. A spreadsheet with what should be a detailed financial analysis is attached. Feel free to use it for yourself to figure out your own finances, and let me know if you see anything wrong!

My assumptions are:
-Columbia CDM '16 (NYC BAH)
-I'll get married after my first year (hence BAH + dependents)
-No prior service
-(T) means taxed
-No yearly increases in tuition/pay factored in (they should come close to cancelling out)
-Book costs are low (most lectures are on powerpoint, no books needed)
-No living expenses included in calculations, this is purely to determine the net difference between the two programs in my situation.

What I found was:
-HSCP pretty much covers the cost of tuition/books fees. Everything except living expenses.
-After 8 years (4yrs school, 4yrs AD payback), when factoring in the higher pay for HSCP, HPSP comes out ahead by $50,426 in my case.
-This figure could be less if your spouse doesn't have health insurance while you're in school

Attachments

• HSCP vs HPSP.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 114
Ok - so I haven't seen a thorough analysis of exactly what the financial difference between HPSP and HSCP after the 8 years. I laid out what it would look like for me. I'll be starting at Columbia CDM in the fall. It appears to me that after the 8 years, the difference between HSCP and HPSP will be about 50k. I tried to copy and paste my Excel analysis in here but it will not let me format it correctly.

Figured out how to attach. A spreadsheet with what should be a detailed financial analysis is attached. Feel free to use it for yourself to figure out your own finances, and let me know if you see anything wrong!

My assumptions are:
-Columbia CDM '16 (NYC BAH)
-I'll get married after my first year (hence BAH + dependents)
-No prior service
-(T) means taxed
-No yearly increases in tuition/pay factored in (they should come close to cancelling out)
-Book costs are low (most lectures are on powerpoint, no books needed)
-No living expenses included in calculations, this is purely to determine the net difference between the two programs in my situation.

What I found was:
-HSCP pretty much covers the cost of tuition/books fees. Everything except living expenses.
-After 8 years (4yrs school, 4yrs AD payback), when factoring in the higher pay for HSCP, HPSP comes out ahead by $50,426 in my case.
-This figure could be less if your spouse doesn't have health insurance while you're in school

I think we have a military version of Bereno in our midst! While I think this is cool and will be helpful to others, you should definitely create your own thread for it, that way more people will see it, here you're kind of off-topic, my thread hi-jacking friend. ;)

Edit: dentclc: sent you a PM, get back to me when you've got a chance :)

Last edited:
I think we have a military version of Bereno in our midst! While I think this is cool and will be helpful to others, you should definitely create your own thread for it, that way more people will see it, here you're kind of off-topic, my thread hi-jacking friend. ;)

lol :)

The recruiters are really pushing the HPCP lately, at least for me anyways. They've asked me multiple times over the past couple of months if I'm sure I don't want it instead of HPSP. I guess it's a better deal for them, since the Navy doesn't have to pay the expensive tuition bill and they still get more dentists in four years. Hopefully this means that when the HPCP spots don't fill they'll take people off the HPSP waitlist and use any leftover HPCPmoney/spots available for people who want HPSP.

The HPCP does seem like it can actually be a better option for anyone going to a cheap state school. I think you could come out ahead in the end. But not for me with the 400K price tag and no dependents!

Yeah same thing happened to me. My recruiter kept pushing the HPCP and I kept telling him I don't want it. He and I were going back and forth with it and he kept saying that it would be the better option for me.I have 4 yrs active duty and would have a total of 12 yrs and be very close to retirement, if i chose that route. But me going to an expensive school with a price tag over 400K, it didn't make financial sense and would take me forever to still payoff even if I retired in the military.

I felt like the Navy wanted the recruiters to push this scholarship option to the applicants. Like others have said, it's a good deal if you can go to your state school, but not if going to a private one.

Does anyone have any recent updates from recruiting headquarters about how many 4 year scholarships are left and pending? I'm hoping they've still got a few saved.
Last I heard a few weeks ago, there were about 5 or 6 that hadn't been offered at this point. But I think there has been 1 board meeting since then. And unfortunately my packet won't make the next board since it was submitted 1 day late. This seems to be a theme for this whole application process for me: A day late, a dollar short. Or more accurately: 10 months of delays, 100K short.

And also, where exactly do our scholarships go to get reviewed? Where/what is this mysterious "selection board" and who is on it? Is this a part of BUMED or just a few current dentist who get together at recruiting headquarters every month or so?

It's not really important, I just hadn't really thought about it until a former Navy officer recently asked me that question. I'm kind of curious myself.