4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tillerybass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is common, but I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for those applying for the 4 year this fall.

I met with my recruiter for the first time yesterday. It's going to be a long process but I really want to pursue joining the Navy!

Members don't see this ad.

this was a good idea for a thread. I'm in the process for applying to AF and Army, but not Navy. So, you're not alone :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good deal guys.
Quick question: do you know if being a health professional rather than enlisted has any influence on getting a medical condition waived? I had to answer "yes" to one of the one of the preliminary questions and I'm afraid it's going to DQ me. Is one branch more lenient than the others?

Good deal guys.
Quick question: do you know if being a health professional rather than enlisted has any influence on getting a medical condition waived? I had to answer "yes" to one of the one of the preliminary questions and I'm afraid it's going to DQ me. Is one branch more lenient than the others?

Nope, still have to meet all of the health criteria. Some of those health conditions are deal breakers...hopefully not in your case!:thumbup:

you can call your recruiter and they'd be able to tell you.

Hey, I'm interested in applying for the HPSP scholarship as well. Where do I even begin this? I emailed the recruiter and he said he'd get me in touch with the dental recruiter. I never got a response so I'm going to email him again. Otherwise, not really sure what to do.

Also, what kind of DAT/GPA requirements are there for the scholarship?

I also heard something about automatically being qualified if you have 3.5 gpa and 20 AA and get accepted into a dental school. Is this true?

Edit: I'm also a bit concerned about the medical conditions. I recently strained my rhomboid and it is going to take a long time to heal... will this adversely affect my chances of getting the scholarship if I can't pass the physical tests because of my injury?

Has anyone began the medical screening process yet? My recruiter is telling me it's different this year and we don't go through MEPS. I just had a physical done by a civilian physician. My recruiter is going to pick up the papers from the physician when they're ready and send them in along with the medical screening info. Just curious if y'all are in the same path?

Has anyone began the medical screening process yet? My recruiter is telling me it's different this year and we don't go through MEPS. I just had a physical done by a civilian physician. My recruiter is going to pick up the papers from the physician when they're ready and send them in along with the medical screening info. Just curious if y'all are in the same path?

Yes, my recruiters have said that it is different this year, except they told me that you only get sent to MEPS if you are selected :shrug:

maybe I should ask for more info on this

Hello everyone I just joined the forum today. I also applied to dental school this year and just did my physical exams at MEPS yesterday. It was a crazy experience, a lot of people. But only four or five women which made things go faster for us but we still had to wait an extra three hours for the boys to finish. Most of the people being processed where enlisting right out of high school or doing a delayed entry program. There were six dentists in all applying for the navy that day. Not everyone was looking at the HPSP some were already dentists signing up for $150k bonus for four years. Two dentists 'failed' the physical for now because they did not have documentation for surgeries or massive scars. But my recruiter told me they would probably go through MEPS again once their recruiter obtained the proper documentation. For anyone who has yet to go through MEPS good luck, it isn't that bad, at least for me it was almost pleasant, but it takes a long time in total I was gone for almost twelve hours when considering transit to and from the facility. They did feed us though :)

Got medically DQ'd about a week ago. Extremely disappointed but everything happens for a reason. Good luck y'all!

Got medically DQ'd about a week ago. Extremely disappointed but everything happens for a reason. Good luck y'all!

Do you mind me asking what you were DQ'd for?

Also, it seems impossible to get hold of recruiters - for ALL branches. What's the best way to go about this?

is it too late consider the HPSP? is there a suggested deadline or anything like that?

is it too late consider the HPSP? is there a suggested deadline or anything like that?
Not I do not believe it is too late to apply. I know my coordinator wanted to have things in by October 1st, but you application does not go active until you have an acceptance from dental school, which at earliest it December 2nd. It does take time to complete all of the necessary paperwork, physical at MEPS, essay, interview by Navy dentist, background check, etc but if you are serious about it, it will all be worth it. I was told there are about 80 slots total per year, and much less 3 year scholarships. I was told they review each month starting in December and most slots will be filled by late February/early March 2014 for students entering Fall 2014.

I do not believe there is any automatic in, in response to another persons' question. I know my DAT and GPA were high enough that I did not have to be interviewed, but that is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, out of curiosity has anyone gone through the process coming from a different military branch? I'm currently a Coast Guard (O3) and a pilot. I'm trying to change my career field but unfortunately, the CG only uses USPH and Navy docs for all of our needs. I don't really have a good person to talk to about it.

I know this is the internet age, but the main thing I did to contact a recruiter was call 1800 USA NAVY. The operator put me in touch with a recruiter who I called, setup a meeting with, and answered all my questions. I've been in the Navy ever since. Sometimes a good phone call that leads to a good old fashioned handshake trumps an email or chat room.

I know this is the internet age, but the main thing I did to contact a recruiter was call 1800 USA NAVY. The operator put me in touch with a recruiter who I called, setup a meeting with, and answered all my questions. I've been in the Navy ever since. Sometimes a good phone call that leads to a good old fashioned handshake trumps an email or chat room.

I know what you mean. However, I didn't have good luck with the recruiters I spoke with when it comes to detailed information and fact finding. Thank you for the response.

I'm also applying for Navy HPSP. Started my application way back in April or May. All I've got left is the interview, which I'm doing this Tuesday.

MEPS was hell for me, haha. Very pee shy and could not pee with someone watching me, haha.

Has anyone had their interview yet and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

I'm also applying for Navy HPSP. Started my application way back in April or May. All I've got left is the interview, which I'm doing this Tuesday.

MEPS was hell for me, haha. Very pee shy and could not pee with someone watching me, haha.

Has anyone had their interview yet and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

haha, I haven't gone through MEPS yet, I'll get to experience that joy next week. Just had my first interview today, VERY laid back, right off the bat he told me it was basically just going to be an information session on what to expect as a military dentist. You're pretty much just helping them fill out an evaluative form on you, just be yourself and you'll do great.

haha, I haven't gone through MEPS yet, I'll get to experience that joy next week. Just had my first interview today, VERY laid back, right off the bat he told me it was basically just going to be an information session on what to expect as a military dentist. You're pretty much just helping them fill out an evaluative form on you, just be yourself and you'll do great.
Yes, had the interview on Tuesday and it went very well. I'm feeling really optimistic about getting the scholarship! :)

thread bump. Who is still committed to this thing??

I started the paperwork process right before Thanksgiving. From what my recruiter told me, there are only 63 scholarships available and about half of them are going to given out at the next selection board. I'm hustling to get everything gathered as soon as possible, but my LoR writers will definitely be delayed by holidays and finals. I knew I should have started earlier, but I guess any shot is better than not applying at all.

I started the paperwork process right before Thanksgiving. From what my recruiter told me, there are only 63 scholarships available and about half of them are going to given out at the next selection board. I'm hustling to get everything gathered as soon as possible, but my LoR writers will definitely be delayed by holidays and finals. I knew I should have started earlier, but I guess any shot is better than not applying at all.

Definitely. Well I hope your writers don't take too long and everything goes smoothly. Good luck!! Keep us updated.

thread bump. Who is still committed to this thing??

Just scanned my acceptance letter to my recruiter. Now I just need the interview and I'm ready for the navy's January boards.

Reactions: 1 users
Bump! just had my packet sumbitted on friday.

Good luck to you guys! As an aside, anyone know when the next MEPS is going to be for the SF Bay Area? My recruiter has been telling me that things keep on being pushed back due to the holidays.

Good luck to you guys! As an aside, anyone know when the next MEPS is going to be for the SF Bay Area? My recruiter has been telling me that things keep on being pushed back due to the holidays.
really? I was told that every wed thurs fri they had meps. I couldn't make last wednesday, but my recruiter pulled some strings and got me in on tuesday...some how. When is your current date?

Only need my interviews (will be next Monday) and to send in my LoA, haven't decided which school to attend yet. The thing with MEPS is that enlists have priority over you now due to some change in policy, that's probably why it's getting pushed back so many times.

Recruiter said my application will submitted Monday...first board meets early January so we'd hear back late Jan/early Feb. Is that what you guys were told?

Recruiter said my application will submitted Monday...first board meets early January so we'd hear back late Jan/early Feb. Is that what you guys were told?
Something similar to this. My recruiter said they didn't have a board meet day scheduled yet, but that sounds about right.

really? I was told that every wed thurs fri they had meps. I couldn't make last wednesday, but my recruiter pulled some strings and got me in on tuesday...some how. When is your current date?

I was originally given 12/3, but I was told a week before that it wasn't possible. Haven't heard anything back since except the recruiter saying to wait to here from them.

I was told that as well.

Is anyone applying for the hscp as well? It seems to be a lot less competitive. My recruiter said last year the hscp wasn't nearly as hard to get

Is anyone applying for the hscp as well? It seems to be a lot less competitive. My recruiter said last year the hscp wasn't nearly as hard to get

Well years ago when tuition was not so high it was regarded that the HSCP was more beneficial than HPSP for a in-state school. Another member and myself have posted in another thread that unless you are in-state at a texas school or plan on retiring in the military then the HPSP is more beneficial. I thought about applying for the HSCP but it would require me to still take out loans to attend my state school.

Anybody heard of when the first boards will be? My application is still in our regional office getting looked over before it is sent to the boards and I just don't want to miss this first round since my application has been ready since December 8-9ish. Not real sure what the hold up is but hope they hurry with it.

Anybody heard of when the first boards will be? My application is still in our regional office getting looked over before it is sent to the boards and I just don't want to miss this first round since my application has been ready since December 8-9ish. Not real sure what the hold up is but hope they hurry with it.
My recruiter said the board meeting is mid January but the due date to submit everything to the board is this week

My recruiter said the first board meeting was actually moved back to early February now. gotta love the consistency and transparency in all of this :wtf:

My recruiter said the first board meeting was actually moved back to early February now. gotta love the consistency and transparency in all of this :wtf:

No joke. Seems like there are 15 different answers for this.

My recruiter said the board is meeting this month but my recruiter is really really spacey and is about to retire so he doesn't care much....lucky me.... Are you guys/gals also applying for the hscp?

Talked to the recruiter today. First boards started today. Good luck everyone!

Talked to the recruiter today. First boards started today. Good luck everyone!

Huh..interesting..my application needed some last minute things added before it can be submitted..my recruiter was very insistent first board doesn't start until Feb. Haha..let me know if you hear something soon then. Good luck!

Just got off the phone with my recruiter and he told me that the board is meeting tomorrow the 15th. He knows some of the board members very well (got me interviews with them at BUMED) so I would trust this information. Decisions should come out roughly around Friday the 31st.

Just got off the phone with my recruiter and he told me that the board is meeting tomorrow the 15th. He knows some of the board members very well (got me interviews with them at BUMED) so I would trust this information. Decisions should come out roughly around Friday the 31st.

OK thanks for the update. Let us know if you hear anything back soon.

Last edited:
I know everyone is giving different answers so I'll give mine for what it's worth...my recruiter told me the board is meeting today the 14th. Not sure how often they meet but I believe today is the first one. They never told me when to expect to hear back so I have no idea.

Last edited:
I believe they meet once a month, don't know how many days each time, depending on how many applications they receive in that time. Funny, I interviewed with Captain Hartzell as well. I agree with you, really seemed to be a down to earth, great guy. Also got to speak with the individual who would be taking his position I believe next year and felt the same way. My recruiter said they get started on Wednesdays, and I assume they're pooling all the applications together/checking for mistakes today. Also said that results come out about 10 days to two weeks after, but would let me know if he hears anything earlier, so if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post here as well.

Thanks guys..good luck! Funny.. I also spoke with Captain Hartzell a while back but I didn't need to do any interviews for the scholarship. I had misunderstood my recruiter; apparently my recruiter made a mistake on a thing or two so it will kick me back to the Feb. board. Last year, 100% of those qualified (with suitable GPA's, DAT's, etc.) at the February board were given the scholarship. After that (in March board and after) it was less than 100% as the scholarships start to run out as this is a first come first served deal. I am also primarily going for the HSCP , which apparently is less competitive and doesn't fill up as fast as the HPSP ones, so I am not as worried as I was before. Will keep everyone updated.

What about the January board?

I assume if you have decent stats, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Last edited:
The January board would have 100% of those qualified accepted, February 100% of those qualified accepted, then it dips down after (for example 75% of those qualified accepted in March, 40% of those qualified accepted in April). DISCLAIMER: I am not sure what their standards for being "qualified" are..but I was told there are always a handful of applicants in the January/Feb boards who have much lower stats (perhaps an 18 AA and 3.0 GPA..not sure) who I believe are passed over. I assume if you have decent stats, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Oh good cause I have a 19 DAT and 3.65 GPA.

I believe they meet once a month, don't know how many days each time, depending on how many applications they receive in that time. Funny, I interviewed with Captain Hartzell as well. I agree with you, really seemed to be a down to earth, great guy. Also got to speak with the individual who would be taking his position I believe next year and felt the same way. My recruiter said they get started on Wednesdays, and I assume they're pooling all the applications together/checking for mistakes today. Also said that results come out about 10 days to two weeks after, but would let me know if he hears anything earlier, so if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post here as well.
Seems like everyone got a lil love from CAPT Hartzell, I interviewed with him too.