40 MCAT, 3.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: CLOSED. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine for top tiers (although having average ECs and research might hold you back at some top schools).

Apply to your state school(s) plus a few mid tiers (private or state schools that take >20% OOS + MCAT average <33) and you should be set.

Since you'll be getting a positive LOR from your PI, I think you shouldn't be too concerned about the number of hours you've spent in research (which, if you assume 15-20hr/week is equivalent to a full academic year or more -- plenty).

The only thing that concerns me is that your application has no eye-catching gem that makes it more interesting/compelling than the next high achieving applicant with good numbers. Still, I think you'd be fine for "top tiers" (as in you should be getting interviews and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some acceptances from schools near the top 10) because your application is solid overall with no obvious holes. Put together a coherent narrative in your EC descriptions and PS to add dimension to your application and you should be fine.

I would apply to ~10-15 in the top 20 along with your state schools and a few more in the 20-40 range to round your list out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be just fine for top tiers. You have 4 times the volunteering, twice the shadowing, and twice the research I do, and I still got into WashU, Baylor, etc. with your same LizzyM score (I only applied to maybe half the top 20 and still am waiting to hear back post-interview from some of them).

Since you'll be getting a positive LOR from your PI, I think you shouldn't be too concerned about the number of hours you've spent in research (which, if you assume 15-20hr/week is equivalent to a full academic year or more -- plenty).

The only thing that concerns me is that your application has no eye-catching gem that makes it more interesting/compelling than the next high achieving applicant with good numbers. Still, I think you'd be fine for "top tiers" (as in you should be getting interviews and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some acceptances from schools near the top 10) because your application is solid overall with no obvious holes. Put together a coherent narrative in your EC descriptions and PS to add dimension to your application and you should be fine.

I would apply to ~10-15 in the top 20 along with your state schools and a few more in the 20-40 range to round your list out.

Thanks for all your input guys. I agree that definitely another weakness is that I'm an average white guy with no special story behind me. Good to know I should apply to some of them though

Your research is fine. You don't publications. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of non-clinical ECs. The service trips are not looked upon highly by Adcoms. Suggest contacting your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

The numbers are top tier, but I suggest applying more broadly to be on the safe side.

40 MCAT (13 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS)
3.83 GPA trending up (Science 3.81)
500+ hours EMT
200 hours volunteering as a patient rounder
800 hours research for one PI but no publications, only two acknowledgements. I was working independently but didn't have any major projects that were exclusively mine, nor did I present any posters or anything. However I should be getting a great LOR from him so would that offset some of this?
2 years leadership position large on campus organization
2 one week long service trips to Latin America
70 hours shadowing
2 semesters Bio TA

Do I have a chance at top tiers or do I need to get more realistic? Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Your research is fine. You don't publications. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of non-clinical ECs. The service trips are not looked upon highly by Adcoms. Suggest contacting your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

The numbers are top tier, but I suggest applying more broadly to be on the safe side

The fraternity takes up the vast majority of my time as most of my non-clinical ECs (intramural sports, philanthropy, etc.) occur under that umbrella. Is there anything I should do beyond just highlighting that in my application? It seems like it's too late to add on more volunteering positions as I'll be visiting the university committee in May

While ECs show you're a well-rounded person, they're more important and impressive if they demonstrate your altruism. Playing sports and doing frat stuff doesn't do that for me. Keep in mind that Adcoms want to see peopel who will not only make good students, but good doctors. So play up that philanthropy angle!

Also keep in mind that with so many highly qualified candidates (it's a seller's market), that screening for IIs can't be based upon numbers alone, and so the Admissions people will look for reasons to ding people and weed them out.

Hence, my worry for the top tiers, and the advice to apply broadly. Even in the worst-case scenario, if you get shut out this app cycle, you then have a year to fix things, and by then, you're in!

The fraternity takes up the vast majority of my time as most of my non-clinical ECs (intramural sports, philanthropy, etc.) occur under that umbrella. Is there anything I should do beyond just highlighting that in my application? It seems like it's too late to add on more volunteering positions as I'll be visiting the university committee in May