498 on the new MCAT 2015, depressed, want to retake.... help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOrocker0930

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my September 12th exam scores back and got 498 overall. I AM PLANNING TO RETAKE IN APRIL. *I could use some advice from a high scorer like 513+*

Breakdown:
C/P: 127 (79%)
CARS: 122 (22%)
Bio: 123 (32%)
Psych/Soc: 126 (66%)

I biggest problems is CARS....i just don't know what to do differently to get higher score (at least 126-127) for April. This is my weakest section and it has always been this way for me. Bio...I just don't know what happened..any tips to score better on that as well?

CARS I struggled with time and content both. Please give me any tips for retaking. Honestly, I even took private one on one tutoring for CARS, did bunch of FLs, and study books but nothing has helped my score.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How did you do on the AAMC practice FL?

On the sample 250 question test, I got:
C/P: 39/59 (66%)
CARS: 45/53 (85%)
Bio: 36/59 (61%)
Psych: 36/59 (61%)

The CARS seems okay on this one..but on the actual exam, I did much worse and scored 22% percentile which really freaks me out...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you use EK 101?
I used the EK 9th ed complete study package (5 books) and purchased one EK test from their online store which was very challenging for me. I also used Kaplan 7 book set from Amazon, and did 2 NextStep FLs. I did not yet purchase TBR computer tests.

I used the EK 9th ed complete study package (5 books) and purchased one EK test from their online store which was very challenging for me. I also used Kaplan 7 book set from Amazon, and did 2 NextStep FLs. I did not yet purchase TBR computer tests.
I exclusively used NS FLs. What were your scores on each?

I exclusively used NS FLs. What were your scores on each?
Do you mind telling me what your actual MCAT score was? I could use some advice from a high scorer.

FL#1:
C/P: 126(67%)
CARS: 123 (33%)
BIO: 126 (67%)
Psych: 128 (86%)
Total 503

FL#2:
CARS: 124 (44%)
Psych: 124 (43%)
Total 501

Do you mind telling me what your actual MCAT score was? I could use some advice from a high scorer.

FL#1:
Total 503

FL#2:
Total 501
510 : 126/129/127/128

I think you may have taken the exam before you were ready, though I wouldn't have thought you'd score below a 500, given your practice exams.

Hmm, how long was your content review? You said you had a tutor ... those are often sketchy.

510 : 126/129/127/128

I think you may have taken the exam before you were ready, though I wouldn't have thought you'd score below a 500, given your practice exams.

Hmm, how long was your content review? You said you had a tutor ... those are often sketchy.

I think I need to start reviewing all content from scratch again. For verbal/CARS, wow congrats on the 129. What books did you use? How did you create a study plan for that section only? If you can give advice on just verbal only - I would appreciate it a lot :)

I think I need to start reviewing all content from scratch again. For verbal/CARS, wow congrats on the 129. What books did you use? How did you create a study plan for that section only? If you can give advice on just verbal only - I would appreciate it a lot :)
I'm a good reader already, mostly due to practice throughout life. I did use the EK 2015 manuals, which pretty much reinforced what I already did naturally. I highly recommend them for clarity, their concise and reasonable presentation of information and decent price.

My 2 cents

BIO = learn the fundamental concepts...don't rely on rote memorization as the MCAT is NOT a memorization test; practice by reading through scientific journals and deducing what implications have been made in a particular study
CARS = somewhat of an inherent skill..hardest section to improve on IMO...and often a crapshoot (well for me anyways). Practice by reading journals, magazines, etc. Pay attention to 1) Author's view (Pro? Con? Indifferent?) on the particular topic...the view will help you think about what the author's ultimate goal is..did you learn what the author wanted you to (usually associated with an indifferent, story type passage..expect specific questions about the topic)...has the author's persuaded you one way or another on a particular topic? (obviously associated with pro/con argumentative type passages...expect a question regarding gauge of strength, along with a few "this author would most agree/disagree with") 2) Author's style (is the passage argumentative? or is the author just telling a story? Recognizing the style can help you think about what kind of questions will be asked at the end of the passage 3) Was the passage elaborate? More geared towards assessing strength of argument in an argumentative presentation...you'll definitely get a few "The author's argument can be improved by..or some permutation of that concept.

Your C/P and Psych look pretty good, so I'd focus on learning the fundamentals of biochemistry and reading extensively until April. Build up your stamina by reading articles that are very scientific, as they test your ability to "push through" on the CARS section.

FWIW: My CARS score was only 126, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I did get an 95% on verbal on the old exam...support for my theory that CARS is a crapshoot. haha.

My 2 cents

BIO = learn the fundamental concepts...don't rely on rote memorization as the MCAT is NOT a memorization test; practice by reading through scientific journals and deducing what implications have been made in a particular study
CARS = somewhat of an inherent skill..hardest section to improve on IMO...and often a crapshoot (well for me anyways). Practice by reading journals, magazines, etc. Pay attention to 1) Author's view (Pro? Con? Indifferent?) on the particular topic...the view will help you think about what the author's ultimate goal is..did you learn what the author wanted you to (usually associated with an indifferent, story type passage..expect specific questions about the topic)...has the author's persuaded you one way or another on a particular topic? (obviously associated with pro/con argumentative type passages...expect a question regarding gauge of strength, along with a few "this author would most agree/disagree with") 2) Author's style (is the passage argumentative? or is the author just telling a story? Recognizing the style can help you think about what kind of questions will be asked at the end of the passage 3) Was the passage elaborate? More geared towards assessing strength of argument in an argumentative presentation...you'll definitely get a few "The author's argument can be improved by..or some permutation of that concept.

Your C/P and Psych look pretty good, so I'd focus on learning the fundamentals of biochemistry and reading extensively until April. Build up your stamina by reading articles that are very scientific, as they test your ability to "push through" on the CARS section.

FWIW: My CARS score was only 126, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I did get an 95% on verbal on the old exam...support for my theory that CARS is a crapshoot. haha.

Any tips on which sources to use for B/B?

CARs is random at times. I agree with that.

FL#1:
Total 503

FL#2:
Total 501
I had the equivalent of a 515 on the old MCAT. I can tell you that there's a snowball's chance in hell of you getting a 513+ on a retake, I've never heard of that great of an improvement in one sitting.

As to improving your CARS score- that section is very dependent upon your verbal reasoning abilities, which take a lifetime to develop. Unfortunately, there are no quick tricks to becoming a better reader. You've got to read difficult material regularly, and really dissect and understand it. I've been a big reader of nonfiction my whole life, so the VR section was a piece of cake. What the hell do I read that I've got decent analytical skills? The Atlantic, The Wilson Quarterly, Foreign Affairs, The New Yorker, stuff like that. For fun. Regularly.

I found the old VR passages (and the new CARS ones) generally interesting reads. Learn to take an interest in a wide variety of material. Don't take the passages as a test or a challenge- enjoy them, let them soak in and truly understand them and what the author of each piece was trying to share. You can improve your critical analysis skills, but not rapidly. It takes work, and a change in your perspective toward the material.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the equivalent of a 515 on the old MCAT. I can tell you that there's a snowball's chance in hell of you getting a 513+ on a retake, I've never heard of that great of an improvement in one sitting.

As to improving your CARS score- that section is very dependent upon your verbal reasoning abilities, which take a lifetime to develop. Unfortunately, there are no quick tricks to becoming a better reader. You've got to read difficult material regularly, and really dissect and understand it. I've been a big reader of nonfiction my whole life, so the VR section was a piece of cake. What the hell do I read that I've got decent analytical skills? The Atlantic, The Wilson Quarterly, Foreign Affairs, The New Yorker, stuff like that. For fun. Regularly.

I found the old VR passages (and the new CARS ones) generally interesting reads. Learn to take an interest in a wide variety of material. Don't take the passages as a test or a challenge- enjoy them, let them soak in and truly understand them and what the author of each piece was trying to share. You can improve your critical analysis skills, but not rapidly. It takes work, and a change in your perspective toward the material.

Wow thank you...you win because that's the best answer I have received on this thread. You made me realize that I am not a lost cause as long as I start pushing myself and reading various challenging types of material daily. I am subscribed to TIME magazine so I'll read that more as well as the daily newspaper articles which has some nice opinions and editorial sections. Also try to become more of an active rather than passive reader. Thanks! Reading more and practicing more passages daily - and I think I may have a real chance here! :)

I went from a 26 with a 6 in verbal to a 514 with essentially a 10 in CARS. I do agree with your advice though. It can be done OP but it takes a lot of time to train yourself.

518 (130/131/128/129).

Used this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/

Followed it exactly (minus group study time. Nontrad with a family so used that time to review topics I was rusty with). Lots of practice exams (10-12).

Biggest thing for me on CARS: Do not write anything down. Don't highlight anything. Just relax and read the passage as you would a novel and try and find SOMETHING in it you find interesting. Trying to dissect the "main idea" or anything of that sort always just threw a wrench in it for me and disrupted the flow of the passage. For specific questions (was so-and-so mentioned, what year was this in, etc.) it doesn't take long to speed read for key words (name, date, place) and find the factoid.

Learn to take an interest in a wide variety of material. Don't take the passages as a test or a challenge- enjoy them, let them soak in and truly understand them and what the author of each piece was trying to share. You can improve your critical analysis skills, but not rapidly. It takes work, and a change in your perspective toward the material.

+1

Reactions: 1 user