4th year rotation - Beijing acupuncture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc237

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be doing a 4-week rotation in acupuncture/chinese medicine in Beijing just before graduation. Have any of you guys done it? Pls tell me about it. I've already signed up for it, and I'm pretty stoked. Instead of studying for Step 2, I'm reading up on travel guides :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

jc237 said:
I'm gonna be doing a 4-week rotation in acupuncture/chinese medicine in Beijing just before graduation. Have any of you guys done it? Pls tell me about it. I've already signed up for it, and I'm pretty stoked. Instead of studying for Step 2, I'm reading up on travel guides :laugh:

where did you find out about this?

P Diddy

My housemate did it, but his course was slightly longer and it was on acupuncture as well..pretty interesting..but I'm not sure if they are offering the course in English because he did it in Mandarin.

So, language may the only thing which could be a problem.. I benefitted from it though haha..after he came back, he used to do it on me, it sort of helped :p

Members don't see this ad :)
ericdamiansean said:
My housemate did it, but his course was slightly longer and it was on acupuncture as well..pretty interesting..but I'm not sure if they are offering the course in English because he did it in Mandarin.

So, language may the only thing which could be a problem.. I benefitted from it though haha..after he came back, he used to do it on me, it sort of helped :p

Brave man... I don't even want to know what he was trying to cure you of :eek: Anyway, the one I signed up for provides dorm housing, tours of Beijing (the places, restaurants, and acrobatics performances tourists usually go to), and a language translator. I think it's a pretty big acupuncture program, so it doesn't really matter what you speak, they have a translator for you. Personally, I speak a little bit of Mandarin, but I'll probably still need an English translator.

I'd like to say I'm doing this b/c I like acupuncture and interested in pain management, but what I really want is to get some real authentic Peking duck.. :D

jc237 said:
Brave man... I don't even want to know what he was trying to cure you of :eek: Anyway, the one I signed up for provides dorm housing, tours of Beijing (the places, restaurants, and acrobatics performances tourists usually go to), and a language translator. I think it's a pretty big acupuncture program, so it doesn't really matter what you speak, they have a translator for you. Personally, I speak a little bit of Mandarin, but I'll probably still need an English translator.

I'd like to say I'm doing this b/c I like acupuncture and interested in pain management, but what I really want is to get some real authentic Peking duck.. :D

PM me if you want his contact, you can ask him all you want. But did it for a serious purpose, his dad's also a practitioner in acupuncture, he incorporates it in his medical practice, but for that, you'll need the bigger and longer courses
haha, yours sounds like a tour :cool:
Yeah..mostly the stuff he did on me was to relieve pain..ever had a stiff neck? A few needles later, and you'll be moving your neck as if the pain was never there

P Diddy said:
where did you find out about this?

P Diddy

I found out about it online. But i think the program is only for medical students, dents, nursing, and allied health sciences students, not residents... I think the program is intended to give students an introduction to chinese traditional medicine/acupuncture, probably not enough to actually practice it, of course.

jc237 said:
I found out about it online. But i think the program is only for medical students, dents, nursing, and allied health sciences students, not residents... I think the program is intended to give students an introduction to chinese traditional medicine/acupuncture, probably not enough to actually practice it, of course.

Are you going to the program at China Beijing International Acupuncture Training Center? I didn't do the 4-week program for medical students, but I spent 3 months there last year learning acupuncture and TCM.

DanceMedic said:
Are you going to the program at China Beijing International Acupuncture Training Center? I didn't do the 4-week program for medical students, but I spent 3 months there last year learning acupuncture and TCM.

Yes, that's right! How did you like the program? Do they give you enough time to visit most of the city and surrounding areas? Tell me more about the program and city please. Since I'm already committed, I'm very very curious....

Was wondering if you guys could post some info on acupuncture electives in China and in the US. Thanks.

jc237 said:
Yes, that's right! How did you like the program? Do they give you enough time to visit most of the city and surrounding areas? Tell me more about the program and city please. Since I'm already committed, I'm very very curious....

I believe the program that you're participating in includes several weekend sightseeing trips and cultural events. CBIATC is pretty well located in Beijing, it's at the E/NE border of "city-limits", so it's really easy to see the sights around the city. Definitely rent a bike, it's the best way to see the city (especially the houtongs). I think you'll have plenty of time in the late afternoon/evenings as well as the weekends to enjoy Beijing.

I enjoyed my experience there overall. You can PM me with more specific questions.