4th year switching to Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I am a 4th year who is currently in the application process for IM. Im getting a ton of interviews, and for some reason im not as excited as I should be, I feel like im cheating myself and im already regretting my decision. I was initially interest in radonc early on in medical school, but unfortunately I didn't apply for fear of not matching (stupid I know)
My step 1 and step 2 scores are all slightly (5-10pts) above average, and my grades are average. Im in the 2nd quartile, and don't have any radonc research (no department at my school).
I did an away rotation in may, and think I performed well, so I can still get letters, but I just don't know if ill match because of the lack of research. Should I risk it and apply this year in October? or take a year off? or SOAP for a preliminary spot, do as much research as possible, and hope to match as a pgy2?

Members don't see this ad.

I would match into IM and apply for open radonc spots during PGY-1. That way you'll have a fall-back and you may end up really liking IM (there must be some reason you applied for it)

The real question here boils down NOT to what CAN you do based on your stats, but what do you really WANT to do? I see it far too commonly (and I'm not trying to say that this is your position) that med students await their step 1 scores and their grades and then figure out based on those metrics what they feel they are "eligible" to apply to. That's insane thinking IMO.

You seem confused about what you really want..which is not uncommon..there is nothing wrong with you. Those who find a spot in radonc need their absolute passion about the field to shine through. It might be hard to demonstrate that at this point having one rotation, an application in for IM and no research.

Please don't take my remarks as disparaging. There is always room for good people in this field and I'm a firm believer that you can get anything you truly want and work for. I worry though when I see folks focusing too much on their stats and what field they may or may not qualify for..that is the wrong approach IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like the title says, I am a 4th year who is currently in the application process for IM. Im getting a ton of interviews, and for some reason im not as excited as I should be, I feel like im cheating myself and im already regretting my decision. I was initially interest in radonc early on in medical school, but unfortunately I didn't apply for fear of not matching (stupid I know)
My step 1 and step 2 scores are all slightly (5-10pts) above average, and my grades are average. Im in the 2nd quartile, and don't have any radonc research (no department at my school).
I did an away rotation in may, and think I performed well, so I can still get letters, but I just don't know if ill match because of the lack of research. Should I risk it and apply this year in October? or take a year off? or SOAP for a preliminary spot, do as much research as possible, and hope to match as a pgy2?

Stanford has a PGY-II opening for June 2016 if you'd like to consider it please contact me [email protected]

Man, apparently I did this whole residency thing completely wrong.

The real question here boils down NOT to what CAN you do based on your stats, but what do you really WANT to do? I see it far too commonly (and I'm not trying to say that this is your position) that med students await their step 1 scores and their grades and then figure out based on those metrics what they feel they are "eligible" to apply to. That's insane thinking IMO.

I would match into IM and apply for open radonc spots during PGY-1. That way you'll have a fall-back and you may end up really liking IM (there must be some reason you applied for it)

These are both great posts. There are certainly those who go into this field because they view their step scores and GPA as award tokens they want to cash in for the biggest prize and go shopping for specialties, although I'd like to think that they are well in the minority. For those who are truly interested in this field, spots do open up often and if you stick it out it likely will work out. The best way to do this, as mentioned is to do a solid IM prelim and keep your eyes open.