4x4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IveGotTwins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm living in the mountains and need a new vehicle. I had a grand Cherokee but it wasn't 4x4 which is necessary around here plus it was too small for my family. I've got kids and want a third row. Wife has a van but she insists I also have an equally sized vehicle. I'd like to have a classic Wagoneer but none for sale nearby. Other options include Commander, Tahoe, Yukon, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Expedition(?), Excursion etc.

Whose got one of these? Any I've forgotten? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

How accessible a 3rd row do you need? The Pilot and MDX have a 3rd row, but it is a bit tight back there if you're going far. The Lexus GX and the Infinity QX80 are bigger and more luxurious. Call me crazy, but I actually like the styling of the new Escalade as well. And don't forget Land Rover, the LR4 has a 3rd row and because of all the glass and the elevated seating position it doesn't seem as cramped.
The most important consideration should be service, I'm not sure how remote you are, but you don't want to have to drive, or get towed, an hour for every service.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is probably overkill but an Excursion would probably be my pick. Find one with the 7.3L diesel (the 6.0L is not as good/has been known to have more problems). Plenty of room and actually has fairly good mpg's with the 7.3 for a vehicle that's bigger than some people's apartments.

Reactions: 1 users
Yukon xl is pretty sweet if you must go crazy large. If you can tolerate a normal size suv, a suburu is a pretty cost effective choice

Just get one of these

Sportsmobiles-rear.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
We have a QX80. Awesome vehicle. Lots of pick me up for such a big car.

Is it a backward seat? There's no room in the RR let alone the RRS, though the LR4 has some space. I can't imagine anyone fitting back there.
I have kids, dogs and tons of crap, so I upgraded to a big rig.
I forgot about the GL550 in my earlier post. 4MATIC works great.

Reactions: 1 user
I watched a video on the 3rd row seats. My dogs wouldn't fit in there, lol. And good luck getting in. Their own video hides how little room you have to get in and their press photos show a high angle or with a 2nd row seat removed. Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... They look smallish, but they do claim it's a 3rd row. I think it's new on the 2014 or 2015 RRS. Might be able to fit a couple of cabbage patch kids in there for sure!

Wife is picking up a RRS SC autobiography, but we aren't getting the 3rd row option.
We have no kids.... Except for the furries.

I'm seriously considering the RR. Noyac just picked one up that is SC and it's a beautiful, comfortable and powerful beast.

I've got 5 kids, dog and need room for ski stuff and luggage for road trips across the state and elsewhere. I've considered getting the biggest thing there is like a suburban or excursion but since the majority of the time it will be used as a commuter (<5 miles) when I don't bike or the odd times I have to chauffeur the kids around. The road trips and skiing won't be the everyday use. So I thought maybe a Tahoe or Yukon with the addition of strap on racks and the hitch boxes for the big trips is an option. Anyone had a particular SUV and had a horrible experience?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444438686.667041.jpg

Check out the GMC Acadia. Union made in the USA. My sister loves hers. She needs the 4WD where she lives and there's lots of room for hockey bags for the boys (we're Canadian).

Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade standard length have really bad 3rd row seats and always have. It is do to how their rear axles are designed. The new expedition is coming out very soon and has and always has had a pretty nice 3rd row that could fit an adult. The sequoia has a good 3rd row also.

If you just need room but not necessarily a 3rd row the crew cab trucks are all pretty nice. The F150 has a huge rear seat that can fit 3 adults easily. Mine can fit 6 adults as I don't have a front console. My wife likes taking it on trips more than her Nissan Pathfinder (2014 model - it's ok, just a car masquerading as an SUV but really in its heart knows it should be a minivan.) she can jump back into the back seat and get between the babies car seats and buckle up/be perfectly comfortable.

The tundra is similar in size and I like how the rear glass rolls down the full length. The Ram a lot of people think has the nicest interior/comfort but has bad durability reputation from DaimlerChrysler. Fiat has really improved them though and this would be a great option. The Laramie Longhorn Ram is the nicest truck I have ever been in. nicer than the ford king ranch. We have had such dependability problems with the GM trucks at the ranch I am too biased to give an opinion on them. We had 20 years of buying only GM trucks and switched over to Ford in 2011 and will stay with either Ford or Toyota going forward. And I think the square wheel wells look ridiculous.

Not a fan of the Acadia. Just get another minivan if you like the Acadia. My mom traded hers in because no one liked riding in it, way too tight in the rear seats and a jittery/uncomfortable ride. Get the Honda Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna. I used to like the Chrysler vans but computer problems and some other reliability issues kept popping up. They might be great now with Fiat.

Now you guys know my secret. I like cars, but nothing too exotic!

Since you have a short commute and assuming no tight parking issues, with a big family like yours I would be inclined to just go big and get a fullsize SUV (excursion/suburban/etc.). Even if it's just you most of the time it will be nice to have the option to throw the whole fam in there. And who cares about MPG's when you're only driving 5mi to work everyday. Plus there's the safety issue. If you're dealing with icy roads and large wildlife I want as much mass and metal as possible between me/my family and the other car/tree/elk/moose/etc.

The Toyota's are very good in the mountains. Plenty of power and a 3rd row if that's what you need. The Sequoia and Tundra are the same vehicle basically. The Landcruiser seems to have less power but more luxury.

But the Range Rovers are in another class in style, performance and luxury. Just no 3rd row. Unless you go with the LR4 which is an awesome SUV. Possibly my first choice if I needed a 3rd row.

The Yukon is nice but I find all those doodads that the American car manufacturers add are cheap ways to increase the cost of the vehicle. They last as long as the foreign brands and definitely don't have the quality. I want quality parts, not gizmos.

Personally I like the Land Rover brand. I currently own 3. But I have a Tundra for my daily driver toy hauler. It's a BEAST.

All the others in my opinion are either too fancy ( not the good fancy either) or not true 4x4 vehicles. If you have snow in your winters go with the Toyota or LR4. Their winter performance is damn good. The other fancy SUV are imposters when compared to them.

But if you want the ultimate go with the Full-size Range Rover Supercharged. You won't be disappointed.

And before anyone starts to criticize the Land Rover maintenance record, like I said, I have 3 and they have been as reliable as my Toyota if not more.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put my kids in a 3rd row that is essentially in the trunk of the SUV. If you get rear-ended with any velocity, they will be seriously injured. And, if you are using the 3rd row, you can't even fit anything in the cargo area. If you need a 3rd row, make your life easy and keep your kids safe and just get a suburban sized SUV. We have one and we love it.

Last edited:
I live in Wisconsin and I'm on my third Toyota Tundra. Limited 4x4 with TRD off road package. Great in snow. Tows my boat and ATVs without a problem. All I do is change oil every 5000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk