5-6 points in two weeks..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BruceBanner

strongest one there is
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two weeks until I test. I have taken 3 AAMC practice exams, improving steadily each time, but not exceeding a 25. I study 1-4 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Is two weeks unrealistic to improve by 5 points? I think I already know the answer, I just wanted to hear any similar experiences. My options at this point are 1) saddle up and study like a madman for two more weeks (with classes and other exams), or 2) reschedule for june. I HAVE to take them this summer.

Sorry if this has been covered...i did do a search.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not.... you score around +/- two points of your average scores. 5-6 points in two weeks is unrealistic. That being said, if its too late to cancel and get money back, sit for the test and void your scores if you just wanna get a feel for it.

if you're not scoring in your target range and it's not too late, reschedule it. June won't make you a late applicant at all, but what you're wanting to do is unrealistic. It would somewhat unrealistic even if you had nothing else other than MCAT to do, but with classes AND MCAT it's just a pipe dream. I'd reschedule if I were you, it'll set you back some money but that's about it.

rescheduling is definitely not a bad idea.

make sure you have your primary ready by the day you receive your scores.

also, there is a secondary prompts thread on SDN. this way, you can start on your secondaries before they come in. so you really don't have to worry about being a late applicant if you take the june MCAT

trust me, you really don't want to have to retake it!

Members don't see this ad :)
1-4 hours a day? That is not nearly enough study time for how much you need to improve. Focus on your exams. Reschedule your test for june and put in 4-8 hours a day of real study time. For me that meant trying to study all day long because I have difficulty concentrating.

1-4 hours a day? That is not nearly enough study time for how much you need to improve. Focus on your exams. Reschedule your test for june and put in 4-8 hours a day of real study time. For me that meant trying to study all day long because I have difficulty concentrating.

Understand I have a full classload and a job. 4 hours is a good study day...but it doesnt always happen.

I have trouble concentrating as well. Basic sciences can be about as dry as it gets. The efficiency returns on MCAT studying can be diminishing over a full day.

Unfortunately the reschedule deadline was a few days ago...so i gotta take it. Im going to bust a$$ till then and do my best...it's all i can do.

Just do practice problems and practice tests. Forget about re-reading the material, if you've already read it once. You need to familiarize yourself with the test and the kinds of questions that will be asked.

Understand I have a full classload and a job. 4 hours is a good study day...but it doesnt always happen.

I have trouble concentrating as well. Basic sciences can be about as dry as it gets. The efficiency returns on MCAT studying can be diminishing over a full day.

Unfortunately the reschedule deadline was a few days ago...so i gotta take it. Im going to bust a$$ till then and do my best...it's all i can do.

Best of luck then. I'm pullin for ya.

While I do sympathize, keep in mind that all the reasons you can't study as much as you should be aren't going to make up for a poor performance on the test itself. If you want to take it anyways then go for it, but the advice still stands. Suck up the 210 and take the exam in June when you can actually study for it. It'll be a whole lot cheaper than the couple thousands wasted on a bogus application cycle.

While I do sympathize, keep in mind that all the reasons you can't study as much as you should be aren't going to make up for a poor performance on the test itself. If you want to take it anyways then go for it, but the advice still stands. Suck up the 210 and take the exam in June when you can actually study for it. It'll be a whole lot cheaper than the couple thousands wasted on a bogus application cycle.

Ive already made the decision not to submit my primary if i get less than a 28. In that event, I would retake it in July so all my stuff will be ready to go and I can submit it as soon as my second set of scores come in. Not an ideal scenario, but not the worst either.

I could just forego the May 10 test and prep for july, but ive already paid for it so IMO it would be a waste not to try. It's not like im completely unprepared. I realize my practice scores arent exactly foretelling a 30+, but there are a number of things that could work in my favor. The worst case is that i get a crummy score and retake it after a 2 months of focused study.