5 questions please help ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purity708

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking dumb easy questions for you guys but somehow I got confused ...
If anyone could please answer I would really appreciate it.

1) what method is best to detect mutated gene in virus? Is it restriction enzyme? PCR? or any other...??

2) 20kg mass is accelerated up with gravitational acceleratoin of 6m/s^2. What is the force?

3) when the brick held on hand was shifted down to break the rod , the energy change is from potential to kinetic? or kinetic to heat??

4) 2 flying objects are flying aside with the same velocity, are their frequencies the same?

5) If you push a piston in a liquid jar, are pressures the same in bottom, middle, and top??

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for asking dumb easy questions for you guys but somehow I got confused ...

1) what method is best to detect mutated gene in virus? Is it restriction enzyme? PCR? or any other...??

2) 20kg mass is accelerated up with gravitational acceleratoin of 6m/s^2. What is the force?

3) when the brick held on hand was shifted down to break the rod , the energy change is from potential to kinetic? or kinetic to heat??

4) 2 flying objects are flying aside with the same velocity, are their frequencies the same?

5) If you push a piston in a liquid jar, are pressures the same in bottom, middle, and top??

Please help!

1) I would say southern blot which uses restriction enzymes. Northern blot if it is an RNA based virus. This cuts the nucleotide sequence into small fragments and looks for the sequence (gene) of interest. If it doesn't show up, it's probably mutated. Although one base pair mutation may still get bound to by the radioactive label that is supposed to bind the non-mutated gene because all the other bases match so nicely.

2) 20 kg x 16 m/s^2? You have to oppose gravitational force first (20 x 10 m/s^2) then accelerate the mass 6m/s^2 (20 x 6 m/s^2)... add them up and get 16 x 20

3) I don't understand the question

4) Are these coming from somewhere because this question seems like it needs context? If you are peaking to a doppler effect problem and by aside you mean at the same speed... yes, the frequency is not shifted.

5) No, you have external pressure and hydrostatic pressure at play here. The bottom of a pool has more pressure (makes your ears "pop) than at the top even though the atmosphere is pushing on it like a gaseous piston.

Please help!

1) I would say southern blot which uses restriction enzymes. Northern blot if it is an RNA based virus. This cuts the nucleotide sequence into small fragments and looks for the sequence (gene) of interest. If it doesn't show up, it's probably mutated. Although one base pair mutation may still get bound to by the radioactive label that is supposed to bind the non-mutated gene because all the other bases match so nicely.

Your question number 1 depends on the type of mutation, if you only have a single base substitution, your radioactive primer will most likely still hybridize. The only way your mutation would show up in that case is if the substitution lied within a restriction enzyme site which may be likely if the viral genome is small.

Ideally, in a lab situation, the best way would be to amplify the DNA and sequence it.