5 Reasons For Choosing Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregor Wiesmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Disclaimer: I'm a Pre-Dent. I realize that I do not have this profession figured out, but I wanted to give a list of why I am considering Dentistry.*

I walk into the lunch room, with the entire staff staring at me with their curious eyes. I am told to “Have a seat!” by the receptionist, and I reluctantly accept the offer. I end up sitting right across from the Dentist, who is busy feasting on a bowl of chocolate chip mint ice cream. He looks directly at me and utters the words: “So…….why Dentistry?” with a smile on his face. This was the question I had not prepared for; I began to freak out in my mind, but kept it cool on the outside. I simply replied: “Well, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’m trying to decide between Dentistry and Medicine right now, but I need to do more shadowing to know the answer.” This felt like a stupid response at the time I said it, but as I look back in retrospect, it was actually spot on because it not only answered the questioned, but left the Dentist with the task of trying to prove to me that dentistry was indeed a better choice than medicine, and he only had the afternoon to do it. This was my first shadowing experience in the field of dentistry, and I can say that I enjoyed it immensely.

However, even after I spent the afternoon shadowing the Dentist, I still had a lingering thought in my mind that was trying to say to me “But why would you choose Dentistry instead of Medicine?” Honestly, I haven’t fully experienced each field yet, so I cannot come to a decisive conclusion. I will need to do a lot more shadowing in both fields before I finalize my decision, but that’s okay……..I have plenty of time and nobody ever got bonus points for choosing early. What I can do is make a list of all the reasons so far that make me lean a little bit more towards the dental spectrum.

#1 Working Hours: There are a lot of things that people don’t know about becoming a doctor(Trust me on this one. After the research I’ve done on the internet, you wouldn’t believe what they have to go through), but one common thing that everyone seems to know about them is that they work a lot. I guess you could say, “Well good! They’re supposed to work a lot because they just love sick people and saving the world.” This maybe true, but the problem that I would have is not being able to spend enough time doing the things in life I love. 60-70 hour work weeks may appeal to a specific type of individual, but at this stage in my life, I would feel like running for the hills if had to manage a work schedule like that weekly. So, how many hours do dentists work anyways? Well, it really varies, because some guys are trying to get their own practice up and running, so they’re working 6 days a week, and then you have the semi-retired dentists who only come in the office twice a week. However, if you look at the majority of private practice dentists, they work 4 days a week. This equates to roughly 30 hours a week of work, and 3 day weekends! This really appeals to me because I have so many other interests to pursue in life!

#2 Salary: Okay, I bet you knew this was coming. The truth is, Dentists are not going broke anytime soon……how much do they make? Again, this is the beauty of dentistry; you can potentially make any amount of money based on multiple variables. If you are an fresh graduate from dental school, you will be making a bare minimum of $120,000 a year as an Associate in a corporate office such as Bright Now Dental. This is pretty much the bottom rung when it comes to dental salaries. If you purchase an existing practice or start up one on your own, the sky is the limit to how much you can make, but it is not uncommon at all for private practice dentists to be making $200,000-300,000 a year, especially if you move out of the city to a rural setting where you are the only close office. People will always say that “Physicians make more money than Dentists.” What they don’t realize is that this statement is a very one sided argument. Dentists certainly make as much as Family Practice, or Internal Medicine physicians, but most of the time, their salaries don’t rival that of the surgical specialties in medicine. But you have to take something else into consideration: hours worked, which I addressed in my #1 reason above. Sure, that private practice dentist is ‘only’ making a mere $200,000 a year, and his salary has nothing on the Orthopedic Surgeon who pulls in $500,000, but you have to remember: that dentist is likely working 30 hours a week, while the surgeon is working 60 hours a week. As great as it would be to make half a million a year, what good is it to have all that cash if you don’t even have the time to spend it? And speaking of time, this brings me to my third reason.

#3 Optional Residency: To become a Physician, one must go through 4 years of College, 4 years of Medical school, and anywhere from 3-7 years of Residency(depending on the specialty, another 1-3 years may be required for a ‘Fellowship’). We will use an Orthopedic Surgeon as an example again: he has to do a 5 year Residency, and if he wishes to specialize further into an area such as the Spine, then he must complete a Fellowship. So what’s the deal with this Residency thing anyways? Well, from what I’ve read, you pretty much become a slave to the hospital, working 100 hour work weeks and making a wopping $45,000 a year. Sounds fun, right? And this is something that you must do if you wish to be a Licensed Physician. With Dentists on the other hand, they have the option of doing a Residency after their 4 years of Dental school, or they can just begin to practice as a General Practitioner straight out of school. Several examples of dental residencies include Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, Endodontics, and Oral+Maxillofacial Surgery. I really like the fact that residency is optional, and it would be comforting knowing what you would be doing once you graduate school, which isn’t a given in Medical school. Let me explain in my next reason.

#4 Matching: If the horrible hours and slavery to the hospital wasn’t enough to scare me away from Medicine and towards Dentistry, but this whole idea of ‘not matching’ was in fact scary enough for me. You see, there is a test that you take at the end of your second year of Medical school called the USMLE(United States Medical Licensing Exam) Step 1, and this test basically decides your future. Unless you score high enough on it, you may not get the chance to match into your desired specialty in the Medical field. For example, I am highly interested in Ophthalmology(Eye Physicians who preform Surgery, not Optometrists), and I had my mind made up that I would try to get into Medical school so that I could become one. Then I learned through my reading online that it is a relatively competitive specialty to get into because it has predictable hours, and also very good pay. This means that if I wanted to even get a chance at getting an interview for a Residency program, I would have to score above the average on the USMLE Step 1, as well as several other factors that would determine if I was a competitive applicant to the program. In a way, this kind of ruined my ambitions for Medicine; I didn’t see the point of devoting 8 years of time to study (college + Medical school) if I wasn’t even assured that I would get to practice in my desired specialty. However, with Dentistry, there is no “matching” if you want to become a GP, the matching is again only for the optional residencies. This takes so much ambiguity out of the whole process, knowing what kind of work you will be doing when you graduate.

#5 Business Owner: Like I said, if you go into private practice, your life is pretty good. Not only are you making a nice upper-middle class salary and working 4 days a week, but you also get to ‘run’ the business. This means everything from choosing your employee's, to how you decorate your waiting room, to what kind of chairs you use in the operating room. I don’t know why, but it just seems to really cool to me to be the guy in charge of everything, and to have the power to just magically cancel a day if you’re sick or have an event to attend. This flexibility that you would never have as a Physician.

And that pretty much sums up the majority of my thoughts on this whole Dentistry vs. Medicine thing. Somewhere, there is a very good argument to why dentistry is better in regards to insurance companies and such, but I really don’t have the knowledge to understand what that all means yet. The only thing I know is that the Physician’s of today are less happy than they were in times past, and that the glory days of Medicine are gone.(Or so I have read) Oh, and the dentist I shadowed told me to go dental, but I have a slight feeling that he might be biased somehow……..

I do realize that the content in this post is not 100% accurate, but after talking to a dentist and reading many of the forums on this website, I do not believe anything I have stated here to be too out of line with reality. I would appreciate any comments, and if you are going to criticize, please do so with a constructive mindset. I'm 18, so give me a break. All the best to everyone who visits this thread! Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I think you are spot on. As an 18 year old to be able to think through and articulate these things shows that you're practical and future oriented which is going to serve you very well.

I would add that a desire to serve others is another big reason I got into dentistry that you didn't directly mention. It sounds cheesy but it's very true and very real. Is it mandatory? Of course not. But dentists who have empathy for their patients, in my opinion, will ultimately provide the best care.

Great list and it's good to be thinking about these things. One of my favorite quotes of all time is apparently from an old and terrible movie that I've never seen but it says this: "We are all interested in the future, For that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" You're thinking about your future and what you want your LIFE to be and at 18 that's well beyond most of your peers.

Reactions: 2 users
now you gotta predict if dentistry is still going to treat you right in ten years. if you asked any dentist in the 80's, they'd probably tell you that dentistry was a dying profession. hence the drop in applicants resulting in the closing of a bunch of schools in the 80's-90's. back then it was because people thought fluoridation and preventative treatment was on the rise and caries incidence was at an all time low. today the question is, is it financially worth it to borrow $400,000 in loans at 6-7% interest?

make sure you get into your state school or Uconn

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Great post. These are most of the reasons i am choosing dent over med. i do think that i would be happy in either profession though.

I think you are spot on. As an 18 year old to be able to think through and articulate these things shows that you're practical and future oriented which is going to serve you very well.

I would add that a desire to serve others is another big reason I got into dentistry that you didn't directly mention. It sounds cheesy but it's very true and very real. Is it mandatory? Of course not. But dentists who have empathy for their patients, in my opinion, will ultimately provide the best care.

Great list and it's good to be thinking about these things. One of my favorite quotes of all time is apparently from an old and terrible movie that I've never seen but it says this: "We are all interested in the future, For that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" You're thinking about your future and what you want your LIFE to be and at 18 that's well beyond most of your peers.
Thanks for the feedback Dr. Lee! I didn't including 'serving others' on the list because I think this is something that would apply to any healthcare job, whereas my list was just what set dentistry apart from medicine. I will certainly look forward to serving others with my knowledge and skills in either field. Really, the only thing that would stop me from doing dentistry at this point in time is the prospective job market, which I hear may not be that great with rising corporate chains showing up everywhere. However, my dentist told me that people aren't happy with these chains because they never get to see the same doctor twice, so they always end up coming back to my dentist's office. If I end up going to dental school, I will most certainly buy or start up a private practice. Thanks again!

Great post. These are most of the reasons i am choosing dent over med. i do think that i would be happy in either profession though.
I absolutely agree, I can see myself being happy either route.

now you gotta predict if dentistry is still going to treat you right in ten years. if you asked any dentist in the 80's, they'd probably tell you that dentistry was a dying profession. hence the drop in applicants resulting in the closing of a bunch of schools in the 80's-90's. back then it was because people thought fluoridation and preventative treatment was on the rise and caries incidence was at an all time low. today the question is, is it financially worth it to borrow $400,000 in loans at 6-7% interest?

Yes, I agree, dental school is overpriced. Like I said in my reply to Dr. Lee, I am not quite sure what corporate dentistry means for the future prospects of private practitioners. I will be sure to do more research on the subject, and talk with several of the dentists in my town to see what their advice is regarding the subject. It would be very sad if dentistry ends up like Pharmacy or Optometry.

Bump. Sorry, but I want more people to see this and give me feedback! Any practicing Dentists out there, please give me your input on whether or not you think Dentistry is a better route than Medicine. Thanks!

*Disclaimer: I'm a Pre-Dent. I realize that I do not have this profession figured out, but I wanted to give a list of why I am considering Dentistry.*

I walk into the lunch room, with the entire staff staring at me with their curious eyes. I am told to “Have a seat!” by the receptionist, and I reluctantly accept the offer. I end up sitting right across from the Dentist, who is busy feasting on a bowl of chocolate chip mint ice cream. He looks directly at me and utters the words: “So…….why Dentistry?” with a smile on his face. This was the question I had not prepared for; I began to freak out in my mind, but kept it cool on the outside. I simply replied: “Well, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’m trying to decide between Dentistry and Medicine right now, but I need to do more shadowing to know the answer.” This felt like a stupid response at the time I said it, but as I look back in retrospect, it was actually spot on because it not only answered the questioned, but left the Dentist with the task of trying to prove to me that dentistry was indeed a better choice than medicine, and he only had the afternoon to do it. This was my first shadowing experience in the field of dentistry, and I can say that I enjoyed it immensely.

However, even after I spent the afternoon shadowing the Dentist, I still had a lingering thought in my mind that was trying to say to me “But why would you choose Dentistry instead of Medicine?” Honestly, I haven’t fully experienced each field yet, so I cannot come to a decisive conclusion. I will need to do a lot more shadowing in both fields before I finalize my decision, but that’s okay……..I have plenty of time and nobody ever got bonus points for choosing early. What I can do is make a list of all the reasons so far that make me lean a little bit more towards the dental spectrum.

#1 Working Hours: There are a lot of things that people don’t know about becoming a doctor(Trust me on this one. After the research I’ve done on the internet, you wouldn’t believe what they have to go through), but one common thing that everyone seems to know about them is that they work a lot. I guess you could say, “Well good! They’re supposed to work a lot because they just love sick people and saving the world.” This maybe true, but the problem that I would have is not being able to spend enough time doing the things in life I love. 60-70 hour work weeks may appeal to a specific type of individual, but at this stage in my life, I would feel like running for the hills if had to manage a work schedule like that weekly. So, how many hours do dentists work anyways? Well, it really varies, because some guys are trying to get their own practice up and running, so they’re working 6 days a week, and then you have the semi-retired dentists who only come in the office twice a week. However, if you look at the majority of private practice dentists, they work 4 days a week. This equates to roughly 30 hours a week of work, and 3 day weekends! This really appeals to me because I have so many other interests to pursue in life!

#2 Salary: Okay, I bet you knew this was coming. The truth is, Dentists are not going broke anytime soon……how much do they make? Again, this is the beauty of dentistry; you can potentially make any amount of money based on multiple variables. If you are an fresh graduate from dental school, you will be making a bare minimum of $120,000 a year as an Associate in a corporate office such as Bright Now Dental. This is pretty much the bottom rung when it comes to dental salaries. If you purchase an existing practice or start up one on your own, the sky is the limit to how much you can make, but it is not uncommon at all for private practice dentists to be making $200,000-300,000 a year, especially if you move out of the city to a rural setting where you are the only close office. People will always say that “Physicians make more money than Dentists.” What they don’t realize is that this statement is a very one sided argument. Dentists certainly make as much as Family Practice, or Internal Medicine physicians, but most of the time, their salaries don’t rival that of the surgical specialties in medicine. But you have to take something else into consideration: hours worked, which I addressed in my #1 reason above. Sure, that private practice dentist is ‘only’ making a mere $200,000 a year, and his salary has nothing on the Orthopedic Surgeon who pulls in $500,000, but you have to remember: that dentist is likely working 30 hours a week, while the surgeon is working 60 hours a week. As great as it would be to make half a million a year, what good is it to have all that cash if you don’t even have the time to spend it? And speaking of time, this brings me to my third reason.

#3 Optional Residency: To become a Physician, one must go through 4 years of College, 4 years of Medical school, and anywhere from 3-7 years of Residency(depending on the specialty, another 1-3 years may be required for a ‘Fellowship’). We will use an Orthopedic Surgeon as an example again: he has to do a 5 year Residency, and if he wishes to specialize further into an area such as the Spine, then he must complete a Fellowship. So what’s the deal with this Residency thing anyways? Well, from what I’ve read, you pretty much become a slave to the hospital, working 100 hour work weeks and making a wopping $45,000 a year. Sounds fun, right? And this is something that you must do if you wish to be a Licensed Physician. With Dentists on the other hand, they have the option of doing a Residency after their 4 years of Dental school, or they can just begin to practice as a General Practitioner straight out of school. Several examples of dental residencies include Prosthodontics, Orthodontics, Endodontics, and Oral+Maxillofacial Surgery. I really like the fact that residency is optional, and it would be comforting knowing what you would be doing once you graduate school, which isn’t a given in Medical school. Let me explain in my next reason.

#4 Matching: If the horrible hours and slavery to the hospital wasn’t enough to scare me away from Medicine and towards Dentistry, but this whole idea of ‘not matching’ was in fact scary enough for me. You see, there is a test that you take at the end of your second year of Medical school called the USMLE(United States Medical Licensing Exam) Step 1, and this test basically decides your future. Unless you score high enough on it, you may not get the chance to match into your desired specialty in the Medical field. For example, I am highly interested in Ophthalmology(Eye Physicians who preform Surgery, not Optometrists), and I had my mind made up that I would try to get into Medical school so that I could become one. Then I learned through my reading online that it is a relatively competitive specialty to get into because it has predictable hours, and also very good pay. This means that if I wanted to even get a chance at getting an interview for a Residency program, I would have to score above the average on the USMLE Step 1, as well as several other factors that would determine if I was a competitive applicant to the program. In a way, this kind of ruined my ambitions for Medicine; I didn’t see the point of devoting 8 years of time to study (college + Medical school) if I wasn’t even assured that I would get to practice in my desired specialty. However, with Dentistry, there is no “matching” if you want to become a GP, the matching is again only for the optional residencies. This takes so much ambiguity out of the whole process, knowing what kind of work you will be doing when you graduate.

#5 Business Owner: Like I said, if you go into private practice, your life is pretty good. Not only are you making a nice upper-middle class salary and working 4 days a week, but you also get to ‘run’ the business. This means everything from choosing your employee's, to how you decorate your waiting room, to what kind of chairs you use in the operating room. I don’t know why, but it just seems to really cool to me to be the guy in charge of everything, and to have the power to just magically cancel a day if you’re sick or have an event to attend. This flexibility that you would never have as a Physician.

And that pretty much sums up the majority of my thoughts on this whole Dentistry vs. Medicine thing. Somewhere, there is a very good argument to why dentistry is better in regards to insurance companies and such, but I really don’t have the knowledge to understand what that all means yet. The only thing I know is that the Physician’s of today are less happy than they were in times past, and that the glory days of Medicine are gone.(Or so I have read) Oh, and the dentist I shadowed told me to go dental, but I have a slight feeling that he might be biased somehow……..

I do realize that the content in this post is not 100% accurate, but after talking to a dentist and reading many of the forums on this website, I do not believe anything I have stated here to be too out of line with reality. I would appreciate any comments, and if you are going to criticize, please do so with a constructive mindset. I'm 18, so give me a break. All the best to everyone who visits this thread! Cheers!

Greetings,
From your post I can tell that you have done a good job in investigating in both fields. I would like to make some comments on your points per your request.

1. Working hours. It is true physicians put long hours at the hospitals (out of residency) but you should know that if you decide to have your own clinic in medicine, you can dictate how busy you want to be. I know plenty of family MDs, OMDs closing their doors at 5:00 pm and some don't even work on Fridays. My point is that as a physician, you still can have working hours as a dentist should one chooses although that can achieved easier in the dental field.

2. Salary. This is the old debate of who is making more. The answer is either one of them should one decides to work hard. When you compare salary, you need to compare oranges to oranges. It would be unfair if you compare a GP dentist to a MD neurosurgeon. However, top end dental specialties like endo, ortho, OMFS salary can be very much comparable to high end medical specialties with very few exceptions. I can say that on average, for general medical and dental practitioners, dentists tend to make more per hour.

3. Residency. One of the advantages of the dental field is one could practice right after four years of dental school. However if one chooses to become a specialist in dentistry, then be prepared to spend at least 3-4 years in residency (I have done 5 years of residency plus one fellowship year). If you look at this, then the time invested in dentistry is almost the same in many of the medical specialties. It is entirely possible at the end that one may want to go further so this must be taken into considerations. Often one complaints about how in medical residencies that one only makes 40K/ year but in dentistry, it can be worse as there is no salary but you must also pay for your tuition such as endo, pros, perio or orthodontics. If you choose dentistry purely based on the time of training, make sure general dentistry is what you are looking for.

4. Matching. In dentistry, orthodontics, oral surgery, pedodontics, endodontics are highly competitive so you need to be one of the top in your class to have a shot. As such they are no different than the highly competitive medical specialties.

5. Business Owner. This is what attracts many people to dentistry. But in medicine, you still can have the same and not being tied to hospital hours if you choose your specialty carefully.

Choosing a career must be taken very seriously because of the time, money and investment. Don't be so tempted by prestige or money but ask yourself if you truly enjoy what you do because you will be in it for a very long haul. My suggestion is to do well in college and take the time to consider things carefully. DP

Reactions: 2 users

Yes, dentists can do quite well for themselves, but not without investing a lot of time and work into themselves as clinicians first. Yes, $200,000 to $300,000 can be realized -- eventually. When I went to dental school, I had on rose-colored glasses and thought that within a year or two of graduating, I'd be able to open my own clinic and throngs of people would come to beat down my door to be taken care of by me. Boy, was I wrong!

I stayed an associate for five years -- the first two to three were for learning, and the next two were because of a lack of good opportunities. Now, I own my own office and work 30 hours a week -- not because I want to, but because I have to in order to keep overhead down while the office is growing.

You "get" to run -- or you "have" to run? It's great being able to choose your own employees and decorate your office, etc...etc..., but with great power comes great responsibility. You hired a new receptionist and now she made your hygienist mad. Who's going to fix it? Bingo! You! Instead of spending your time and brain power on prepping that crown that will make you money, you have to play middle man. Or hey, guess what? The office manager you trusted so much was just caught red-handed embezzling money from you. Headaches, headaches, headaches.

Just magically cancel a day if you're sick? In my five years as an associate I didn't dare take one day off. You don't produce -- you don't make any money. You don't make money, you don't eat. Plus, do you know what pisses patients off? When they've taken time off work and you cancel on them. That's not to say you can't ever take a vacation, but you have to plan it well in advance -- not for you, but your staff. They depend on getting their 40 hours a week in order to sustain their way of life. You can't just go and take 3 weeks off on a whim without telling them well in advance; they'll leave you so fast it'll make your head spin.

I've learned there are several "types" of dentists -- either try to be the one that performs dentistry for the love of it -- the money will come - eventually, or be the one that runs the office like a business with tried and proven systems, and proper training of your staff to be quick, efficient, and personable.

Reactions: 5 users
I've learned there are several "types" of dentists -- either try to be the one that performs dentistry for the love of it -- the money will come - eventually, or be the one that runs the office like a business with tried and proven systems, and proper training of your staff to be quick, efficient, and personable.

Can't you do both of what you said or is there a reason for the either/or? Thanks for your insight ,Doc

Yeah! These are the major reason that i am choosing Dentistry instead of medicine....

Great post, ziptree, it's always insightful to hear the perspective of practicing docs on here. You mention not having good opportunities to open your practice, what do you mean by that? Was getting financing a limiting factor?

I got the sense from your post that you are the latter type of doc. Did you read anything, or take CE, or whatever, that helped you learn to use those "tried and proven" business models?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

It's the 1970's all over again. Right now dentistry is not worth going into. $400-500,000 worth of loans at 7% interest plus you have to go out and build an office. Who is going to loan you another $400,000 to build an office? Interest rates & tuition will probably go up. How are you planning on making $200-300,000/yr working 30 hours/week? You certainly won't get the skills in dental school to do large financially profitable procedures. It wouldn't be wise to look at the 50+ year old and think that is how it will be for you. Look at the 25 year old. Dentistry does not look good in the next 10-20 years.

It's the 1970's all over again. Right now dentistry is not worth going into. $400-500,000 worth of loans at 7% interest plus you have to go out and build an office. Who is going to loan you another $400,000 to build an office? Interest rates & tuition will probably go up. How are you planning on making $200-300,000/yr working 30 hours/week? You certainly won't get the skills in dental school to do large financially profitable procedures. It wouldn't be wise to look at the 50+ year old and think that is how it will be for you. Look at the 25 year old. Dentistry does not look good in the next 10-20 years.
Go to a cheap state school and work where you are needed. That's what many of the people in my school's most recent graduating class did and everyone I've talked to seemed to have solid offers.

Go to a cheap state school and work where you are needed. That's what many of the people in my school's most recent graduating class did and everyone I've talked to seemed to have solid offers.

kind of a dumb question but what about people that couldn't make it to a cheap school and ended up going to a private school (even my in-state schools are like the same cost of UNC OOS haha), would they eventually be financially stable?

kind of a dumb question but what about people that couldn't make it to a cheap school and ended up going to a private school (even my in-state schools are like the same cost of UNC OOS haha), would they eventually be financially stable?
You're a Dental Student and asking this question? You should that there are so many variables, and that nobody can tell you what a particular individual's financial outlook happens to be. Are their parents paying for tuition? Are they inheriting a practice? Will they be specializing? Are they going to work part time? Too many variables to say, but I think that most people would see 400k for dental school as a bad investment.

You're a Dental Student and asking this question? You should that there are so many variables, and that nobody can tell you what a particular individual's financial outlook happens to be. Are their parents paying for tuition? Are they inheriting a practice? Will they be specializing? Are they going to work part time? Too many variables to say, but I think that most people would see 400k for dental school as a bad investment.

actually I am headed to dental school this fall, hence the change in the status. Yeah there are many variables that factor in but you can make that case for many professions out there as well. I was asking for the most general scenario.

actually I am headed to dental school this fall, hence the change in the status. Yeah there are many variables that factor in but you can make that case for many professions out there as well. I was asking for the most general scenario.
Are you going to your state school?

Are you going to your state school?

I wish. otherwise I would have not commented on here haha. Going to a private school. I wanted to ask if there were recent graduates on how they handled private school debt with no outside aid. The best option would be to move a state with no income tax imo (Texas/Nevada).

I wish. otherwise I would have not commented on here haha. Going to a private school. I wanted to ask if there were recent graduates on how they handled private school debt with no outside aid. The best option would be to move a state with no income tax imo (Texas/Nevada).
Or the best of both worlds: You could go to Alaska! No income tax, you get paid to live there, and you could practice in a rural setting and make bank. Oh, and in regards to going to a private school......that just means that you are going to have to postpone buying your Porsche 911 for a few years ;)

Or the best of both worlds: You could go to Alaska! No income tax, you get paid to live there, and you could practice in a rural setting and make bank. Oh, and in regards to going to a private school......that just means that you are going to have to postpone buying your Porsche 911 for a few years ;)

eh I am a warm weather person, I'd rather have a BBQ in 80 degree weather in December. Plus, I am not much of a materialistic person other than football season tickets so I wont be buying a porsche at all.

as to your original post, either medicine or dental is great, despite all the setbacks this economy has offered/yet to offer. Think of it as choosing either superhero Batman or the Flash, both are different but you can't go wrong with either one.

Keep in mind both require a lot of hard work. Dentists may work 30 hours but many get tired after 40 hours of drilling, repairing, etc. etc. Its not that they are lazy, its that it is tasking. This is not limited dentistry, orthopedic surgeons and ENT surgeons have the same issue of back pain. I will say this, if you want to work in coastal CA/NYC and make good money, I'd recommend medicine over dentistry, unless you are really a hands-on person (personally if I wasnt guaranteed to match ortho, ophtho or ENT, I would hate medical school and my life).

Visit 6 dentists (4 general and 2 specialists) and do a Venn diagram of what are the good and bad they said

eh I am a warm weather person, I'd rather have a BBQ in 80 degree weather in December. Plus, I am not much of a materialistic person other than football season tickets so I wont be buying a porsche at all.

as to your original post, either medicine or dental is great, despite all the setbacks this economy has offered/yet to offer. Think of it as choosing either superhero Batman or the Flash, both are different but you can't go wrong with either one.

Keep in mind both require a lot of hard work. Dentists may work 30 hours but many get tired after 40 hours of drilling, repairing, etc. etc. Its not that they are lazy, its that it is tasking. This is not limited dentistry, orthopedic surgeons and ENT surgeons have the same issue of back pain. I will say this, if you want to work in coastal CA/NYC and make good money, I'd recommend medicine over dentistry, unless you are really a hands-on person (personally if I wasnt guaranteed to match ortho, ophtho or ENT, I would hate medical school and my life).

Visit 6 dentists (4 general and 2 specialists) and do a Venn diagram of what are the good and bad they said
I've talked to two GP's already, and they have both had nothing put positive things to say about dentistry. They have both told me that a lot of Physicians aren't happy, and that Dentists have it better. I guess I need to shadow an Ophthalmologist and see what they say about Dentistry. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Ophthalmologists considered Dentistry........they are very similar.

200,000 for private practice? I have to disagree. I'm thinking that's if you really not trying hard enough or your only open 2 days per week.

200,000 for private practice? I have to disagree. I'm thinking that's if you really not trying hard enough or your only open 2 days per week.

you have to keep in mind some dentists want to work in a saturated area (which prevents most of them from reaching their potential) for a couple of reasons:

-refusal to move to a less saturated place/really close to the place they grew up in
-spouse's job requires them to be close to saturated area
-want to be to close to family

A family friend told me he is making 300-350k (4-5 days) in Wyoming as a general dentist. Don't know if thats overstated or he's telling the truth but that sounds awesome (assuming he isn't doing anything shady). Not everybody wants to move to these states/areas though because of a couple of reasons like I stated above.

you have to keep in mind some dentists want to work in a saturated area (which prevents most of them from reaching their potential) for a couple of reasons:

-refusal to move to a less saturated place/really close to the place they grew up in
-spouse's job requires them to be close to saturated area
-want to be to close to family

A family friend told me he is making 300-350k (4-5 days) in Wyoming as a general dentist. Don't know if thats overstated or he's telling the truth but that sounds awesome (assuming he isn't doing anything shady). Not everybody wants to move to these states/areas though because of a couple of reasons like I stated above.
That's super cool! I plan to eventually move to Wyoming.......so maybe I'm set? haha

Well, I was trying to be on the more conservative side of things so people didn't think I was being over-ambitious. I think I would like to work 3-4 days a week, so I thought my numbers were a pretty good range for that amount of work. I certainly do know that some Dentists make over 400k, however, I didn't want to list that number and make the people on this forum think that money was my primary incentive(it isn't). Certainly, going into Dentistry now days only really makes sense if you plan to specialize or open up a private practice. A 120k Associate salary ain't going to pay back those 300k of student loans anytime soon.

some do it for the money, some do it for the care.i will say those two are among the top 5

1. Flexible Schedule
One of the biggest perks of working as a dental hygienist is the flexible scheduling. In this field, many different types of work schedules are common, including full-time, part-time or just weekends. Many dental hygienists are even employed at multiple offices, working one or two days per week in each one. While you might occasionally have to tweak your personal schedule to fit the demands of a busy dental office, most dental hygienists are able to set their own work hours to meet the needs of their hectic lives.

2. Competitive Salary
Since the dental industry needs reliable staff members who have expertise and the ability to manage a variety of tasks, the compensation is well worth your efforts. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' 2014-15 Occupational Outlook Handbook, the median national annual salary for dental hygienists is $70,210. Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors.

3. Job Stability
Due to population increases and preventative care being placed at a higher priority, this career path is ranked as one of the fastest growing occupations. What this means for you: a continuously high demand for your services, whether you're just finishing a certification program or in the midst of your career as a dental hygienist.

4. People-oriented Atmosphere
The priority for most dental offices is to make the patients feel as relaxed as possible while teaching them how to properly care for their teeth and gums. As a dental hygienist, you can expect to work in a comfortable, friendly work environment where you'll interact with a lot of different people on a daily basis. If you recognize the importance of oral health and love helping others, a career as a dental hygienist could be a perfect fit for you.

5. Advancement Opportunities
You'll need either a certificate or associate's degree at the minimum to work in a private office as a dental hygienist. These training programs are well-organized so students can complete them efficiently and with plenty of hands-on experience. Even better, once you're working as a dental hygienist, you can take classes to complete a bachelor's or master's degree. With either of these, you will have plenty of advancement opportunities ahead of you, including careers in research or teaching the practice of dental hygiene.

Prosthodontist Seattle | Crowns and Bridges Seattle | Dental Bridges Seattle WA | Dental Veneers Seattle WA | Prosthodontics Seattle
I think maybe you posted this in the wrong thread? This post was created for reasons to be a "Dentist". I actually considered Dental Hygiene for awhile, and then I realized that I would not be happy by spending my career as the "Assistant" to the dentist. I do not wish to have someone working over me because I would always feel that I settled for less.......which would be the truth. I'm sure it's a great "job" for some people, but I am looking for a "profession". Hygiene is not intellectually stimulating enough for it to interest me. Also, going the Hygiene rout would be taking a step backwards for me right now because I already have half of the PreMed/PreDent prerequisites done.

I think maybe you posted this in the wrong thread? This post was created for reasons to be a "Dentist". I actually considered Dental Hygiene for awhile, and then I realized that I would not be happy by spending my career as the "Assistant" to the dentist. I do not wish to have someone working over me because I would always feel that I settled for less.......which would be the truth. I'm sure it's a great "job" for some people, but I am looking for a "profession". Hygiene is not intellectually stimulating enough for it to interest me. Also, going the Hygiene rout would be taking a step backwards for me right now because I already have half of the PreMed/PreDent prerequisites done.

No need to belittle the profession, hygiene is a great field and the title of your thread says 5 reasons for choosing dentistry - hygiene is under this umbrella!

No need to belittle the profession, hygiene is a great field and the title of your thread says 5 reasons for choosing dentistry - hygiene is under this umbrella!
Yes, but I did post this in the "Dental" Forums.

Just kinda skimmed your whole post. Didn't need to read it entirely since you and I are 100% on the same page. Was debating between Pre-Med and Pre-Dental for the last 2 years, and finally jumped on Pre-Dental 1.5 months ago. Taking the DAT in August!

Honestly didn't think I could love medicine enough to go through the whole process... I think too many people go into it without realizing how bad things could be if you don't actually love the job!

Just kinda skimmed your whole post. Didn't need to read it entirely since you and I are 100% on the same page. Was debating between Pre-Med and Pre-Dental for the last 2 years, and finally jumped on Pre-Dental 1.5 months ago. Taking the DAT in August!

Honestly didn't think I could love medicine enough to go through the whole process... I think too many people go into it without realizing how bad things could be if you don't actually love the job!
Glad you've made your mind up man! Even after writing this, I'm still on the fence. If I go the Medicine route, I will probably end up doing Emergency Medicine because they have good hours, and the work has a pretty great variety too! I still need to do some more shadowing before I can make a final decision. Good luck on your DAT!