5 retakes too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is pretty low, but according some of the posts I've been reading, AACOMAS gpa doesn't average out GPA and will take your latest grade in a course. If that's the case my GPA could be significantly improved by retaking 5 classes one of them being a general education class I took in freshmen year.
I'm supposed to graduate this year but if I'm going to retake I will stay another semester or so to do it, rather than do a master's or something.

So my question is 1. Is 5 retakes too many ? and 2. does the retake policy only apply to sciences courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope not, I have 10+. And it applies to all courses, the credit hours and description have to match up though. You can just do a search, because this has come up before.

Last edited:
My GPA is pretty low, but according some of the posts I've been reading, AACOMAS gpa doesn't average out GPA and will take your latest grade in a course. If that's the case my GPA could be significantly improved by retaking 5 classes one of them being a general education class I took in freshmen year.
I'm supposed to graduate this year but if I'm going to retake I will stay another semester or so to do it, rather than do a master's or something.

So my question is 1. Is 5 retakes too many ? and 2. does the retake policy only apply to sciences courses?

I retook 10+, but most of them were from courses I took 5+ years ago. I don't recall anyone ever asking about them.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake as many as you need. Someone might ask you about it though so you should have some sort of answer prepared about why you struggled the first time through "I found a new direction.. Once I knew the path I wanted to go on I really improved..." etc.

Survivor DO

Heck, we've had students retake entire UG curricula! So no, >5 retakes is not going to hurt, and grade replacement applies to all coursework.

Retake as many as you need. Someone might ask you about it though so you should have some sort of answer prepared about why you struggled the first time through "I found a new direction.. Once I knew the path I wanted to go on I really improved..." etc.

Survivor DO

Good advice as always, Survivor DO. I retook a number of classes from my undergrad years ago, and my answer is similar if asked about the retakes.

Heck, we've had students retake entire UG curricula! So no, >5 retakes is not going to hurt, and grade replacement applies to all coursework.

That makes me feel better with 7 undergrad retakes of C's and a B. I think we all would like that time machine and go back to the first semester of college and tell ourselves that B's and C's are bad lol.

After this may I will have retaken 8. I ain't even mad

Are you on a DO or an MD adcom?

Survivor DO

So if that is the case, why would people do post bac or master's programs? Wouldn't it be better to just stay in undergrad and retake courses, maybe mix in upper levels if possible?

After this may I will have retaken 8. I ain't even mad
LOL

I retook 14 youre fine.
Were you asked about it in your interview? I see you're a medical student now, so if you don't mind me asking, what was your gpa without the retakes?

That makes me feel better with 7 undergrad retakes of C's and a B. I think we all would like that time machine and go back to the first semester of college and tell ourselves that B's and C's are bad lol.

Amen. I'd tell myself a lot of things if I had that time machine. :slap:

So if that is the case, why would people do post bac or master's programs? Wouldn't it be better to just stay in undergrad and retake courses, maybe mix in upper levels if possible?

LOL

Were you asked about it in your interview? I see you're a medical student now, so if you don't mind me asking, what was your gpa without the retakes?

Wasnt asked at any interview. I briefly addressed it in my personal statement. GPA was a 3.2 ish without retakes. Though I did have a 36 mcat.