50 of 350 Step 1 questions ... Experimental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaded Soul

Proloxil > Zoloft
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've read a bunch of times on this board and heard numerous times from people who took Step 1 last year that the 50 of the 350 questions are experimental and do not count towards your final score.

Is this still actually true? Was it ever true in the first place? Is there a link on the NBME site or USMLE site that someone can show me that actually says this?

Not that it's going to make a difference in the days I have until I take the test, but I'm just wondering if this is one of those myths that's been around and gets perpetuated by a new set of students each year.

Members don't see this ad.

we don't know for sure. According to the Kaplan Qbook, there are several (25-30) experimental questions. Additionally somewhere around 10-20 questions may be thrown out after the exam analysis (these questions determined to be unclear, poorly written, have multiple "correct" answers, etc.) Of course we'll never know which questions count and which don't.