502 MCAT (129 biology), low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a graduate from UofT, and I had a sucky gpa from my undergrad (3.0). I made some lousy choices while doing my undergrad by taking hard courses, and more courses than I can afford and hence my gpa. I also have a phobia for exams, and everyone that know me comments on it. I get stressed out and sometimes even blanks out.

I did my MCATs in August and got a 495. (C/P - 124 CARS -121 B/B - 126 P/S-124. ) I was expecting this low score, because I totally freaked out and blanked out during the exam.
3 weeks later I redid my MCAT and scored a 502 (C/P - 124 CARS 123 B/B - 129 P/S- 126).

I have loads of EC's, and I am actually proud of them.

I am not even trying Canadian schools because I am an international student and the chances of me getting is nil.

What are my chances of getting into a US/Asutralian med school? Or what MD programs can I try? Please help!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

US MD chances with those stats are vanishingly low for a domestic applicant. http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/White_Applicants.png
The average of your two scores is the equivalent of about a 24 MCAT.

If you are an international applicant, I cannot recommend a US application. The median MCAT for an international matriculant is the equivalent of 514. The median gpa is 3.77.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I am a graduate from UofT, and I had a sucky gpa from my undergrad (3.0). I made some lousy choices while doing my undergrad by taking hard courses, and more courses than I can afford and hence my gpa. I also have a phobia for exams, and everyone that know me comments on it. I get stressed out and sometimes even blanks out.

I did my MCATs in August and got a 495. (C/P - 124 CARS -121 B/B - 126 P/S-124. ) I was expecting this low score, because I totally freaked out and blanked out during the exam.
3 weeks later I redid my MCAT and scored a 502 (C/P - 124 CARS 123 B/B - 129 P/S- 126).

I am not even trying Canadian schools because I am an international student and the chances of me getting is nil.

What are my chances of getting into a US/Asutralian med school? Or what MD programs can I try? Please help!

Thank you!
There is a WAMC thread.
upload_2016-10-13_20-27-12.png

Reactions: 1 user
Why on Earth did you retake the MCAT just a mere 3 weeks after a disastrous score???

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I didn't know my score. But I knew I didn't do well. So I registered for the mcat 2 days after the first MCAT because I was determined to do better. I felt like I did so much better the second time and I don't know why I got low scores...

You may have a chance at some of the newer DO schools and there will be more schools opening for 2018. Apply next June and submit all your secondaries by July.

@Lawper I don't have a plan B
Yes, I didn't know my score. But I knew I didn't do well. So I registered for the mcat 2 days after the first MCAT because I was determined to do better. I felt like I did so much better the second time and I don't know why I got low scores...

It's a very bad decision for you to make to register for another exam without getting your scores back from the first one. I took the MCAT twice as well, but I spent a lot of time re-evaluating my first exam before I took it the 2nd time. How do you even know you'll do significantly better on your 2nd attempt? Did you score consistently on your practice exams? Your stats are pretty low even for domestic students. Given the fact that you're applying international, your chances of being accepted into a US MD school is pretty much close to zero.

Now I'm not an expert in DO schools, but I'm pretty sure their standards for international students are also higher if they were to accept any. If you are planning to retake the MCAT a third time you should be aiming for something like a 510+ or 515+. Even with grade replacements at DO there's no guarantee to be accepted at all, so why do you not have a plan B? I'm just curious.

Your stats are lethal for medical school.

Why do you wish to enter a field where you're subject to high stakes career deciding exams?

Hi All,

Thank you!

I agree with @femmegoblue. Op, I do not understand your logic in taking a 2nd attempt on the Mcat shortly after your first attempt. You have some serious thinking to do. You need to have a plan B asap. Your phobia of exams will have crippling effects on your grades wherever you go (Carribean schools, Pod, foreign schools).

Look at OP's deficits:

I had a sucky gpa from my undergrad (3.0).
I made some lousy choices while doing my undergrad by taking hard courses,
I also have a phobia for exams, I get stressed out and sometimes even blanks out.

I did my MCATs in August and got a 495. (C/P - 124 CARS -121 B/B - 126 P/S-124. )

I was expecting this low score, because I totally freaked out and blanked out during the exam.

This is the profile of a student just asking to get kicked out of med school for poor performance.

Let's summarize:
GPA barely acceptable for DO schools (auto -reject from mine as well as at least ten others I can think of)
Admitted exam anxiety
Does poorly with "hard" courses
Lethal 1st MCAT score.
Failed to void exam while knowing his/her anxiety cratered their performance.
Retakes immediately, without any apparent preparation
Does merely OK, but yet with two sub-scores below the 50th %ile. This says that OP can't juggle all four balls in the air of the sub-sections. We don't want students who will pass Anatomy but fail Physiology. You have to master everything.

Thus, I can't recommend med school for OP. Even LUCOM has standards.

You don't think he would be competitive for DO schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Re: Plan B
I don't know if there is an equivalent in Canada, but if you want to do medicine in the US, would you consider PA school? The pay is excellent, the training is substantially less, you get to do some great stuff and the stakes are always lower.
I will admit that I know nothing about admissions standards for PA school.