505 MCAT, 3.8+ gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup, got my MCAT score back today: 505, balanced: 127 phys/chem, 126 in all remaining sections. Old MCAT was a 29, so this was a retake. My sGPA and cGPA are 3.8+.

In a nut shell:
-4 paper pubs
-600+ clinical volunteering hrs (so far, doing another 400 this gap year)
-500 community shelter volunteer hours
-Leadership in various clubs, Lead TA for several classes
-Letters of Rec are a notch above average
-NY state resident

I'll be a reapplicant at:
-SUNY SB
-SUNY DS
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Upstate
-Drexel
-Jefferson
-Temple
-Penn State
-TCMC
-NYMC
-Albany Medical College
-Netter

Last cycle: I received 3 MD interviews (for the sake of privacy I don't want to say, but the 3 are listed above).

QUESTIONS:
1. Any suggestions on schools to add or remove? Thanks!
2. Am I at an advantage, disadvantage, or neutral as a reapplicant?
3. Is my 505 (70th percentile) directly correlated to a 28.5 (if you do percentile conversion that's what it is), or is it higher/lower, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Sup, got my MCAT score back today: 505, balanced: 127 phys/chem, 126 in all remaining sections. Old MCAT was a 29, so this was a retake. My sGPA and cGPA are 3.8+.

In a nut shell:
-4 paper pubs
-NY state resident

-SUNY SB
-SUNY DS
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Upstate
-Drexel
-Jefferson
-Temple
-Penn State
-TCMC
-NYMC
-Albany Medical College
-Netter

Last cycle: I received 3 MD interviews (for the sake of privacy I don't want to say, but the 3 are listed above).

QUESTIONS:
3. Is my 505 (70th percentile) directly correlated to a 28.5 (if you do percentile conversion that's what it is), or is it higher/lower, etc.?

If you want to maximize your chances of being a doctor consider adding DO schools. Your stats would give you a fair shot at most of them.

I suggest the following:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
Any DO school. Beggars can't be choosy. But I can't recommend Touro-NY, Wm Carey or LUCOM, for different reasons.

Nothing has improved about your app stats-wise, so I don't see you having any luck with the schools you are reapplying to.

I can't recommend retaking the MCAT anymore. You've plateaued.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest the following:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
Any DO school. Beggars can't be choosy. But I can't recommend Touro-NY, Wm Carey or LUCOM, for different reasons.

Nothing has improved about your app stats-wise, so I don't see you having any luck with the schools you are reapplying to.

I can't recommend retaking the MCAT anymore. You've plateaued.

Alright thanks! :)

In a nut shell:
-4 paper pubs
-NY state resident

-SUNY SB
-SUNY DS
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Upstate
-Drexel
-Jefferson
-Temple
-Penn State
-TCMC
-NYMC
-Albany Medical College
-Netter

QUESTIONS:

I mean...your MCAT score got worse this time. They are comparing percentiles now bc of the new/old MCAT. It's already hard to be a reapplicant, why would they choose someone who didn't improve their app much and did worse on the MCAT? I would apply DO schools as well as your MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user