509 MCAT, 3.45cGPA - How does my DO school list look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kubyx

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting zero love from MD schools, state and others. I thought my overall application was decent, but alas, I don't think schools are much willing to look past my 3.45, despite a strong upward trend.

509-511 MCAT, fairly balanced. 3.45cGPA with a good upward trend. Extensive volunteer experience, some shadowing, and `6 years of work experience post-college in the healthcare setting (sales and patient advocacy, so probably not the most relevant, but it has taught me a good deal about medicine).

I realize this is the pre-allo forum, but the osteopathic forum points you here, so hopefully this is okay. I'm thinking about blitzing off my application to a few DO schools since I'm not hearing much back on the MD side. I'd rather not waste yet another year improving my application, and really do not care if the initials behind my name are MD or DO.

Here's my list:

KCOM
DMU
PCOM
WesternU
Touro
LECOM
NSU-COM

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CCOM in chicago may be a good option! Also, be patient with the MD schools.. I think you may have chance as long as your school list was solid

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I forgot CCOM, that is on my list as well.

I applied to ~18 MD schools - mostly the typical lower-tier/lower-stat schools like UND, MCW, VA schools, wright state, creighton, etc. So far my state (MN) schools have rejected me. Radio silence on the rest. I'm an idiot and didn't completely my secondaries until early September, so I suspect the late application and low gpa are really working against me. I haven't heard back from the other 16 schools, and I'm still holding out hope, but the moment I got rejected to even interview at my state school made me realize that I should probably prepare for the worst.

Thanks! I forgot CCOM, that is on my list as well.

I applied to ~18 MD schools - mostly the typical lower-tier/lower-stat schools like UND, MCW, VA schools, wright state, creighton, etc. So far my state (MN) schools have rejected me. Radio silence on the rest. I'm an idiot and didn't completely my secondaries until early September, so I suspect the late application and low gpa are really working against me. I haven't heard back from the other 16 schools, and I'm still holding out hope, but the moment I got rejected to even interview at my state school made me realize that I should probably prepare for the worst.

Ya the late submission won't help.... But it also means that they most likely havent reviewed your app yet... You may be given the opportunity to interview later in the season. Adding DO schools should put you in a good position to matriculate next year! Good luck

Suggest adding:

AZCOM
CCOM
Pac-NW
Western-OR
TUNCOM
MUCOM
KCU
NYITCOM
LMU
Nova
VCOM

Hi all,

I'm getting zero love from MD schools, state and others. I thought my overall application was decent, but alas, I don't think schools are much willing to look past my 3.45, despite a strong upward trend.

509 MCAT, fairly balanced. 3.45cGPA with a good upward trend. Extensive volunteer experience, some shadowing, and `6 years of work experience post-college in the healthcare setting (sales and patient advocacy, so probably not the most relevant, but it has taught me a good deal about medicine).

I realize this is the pre-allo forum, but the osteopathic forum points you here, so hopefully this is okay. I'm thinking about blitzing off my application to a few DO schools since I'm not hearing much back on the MD side. I'd rather not waste yet another year improving my application (I'm already 28), and really do not care if the initials behind my name are MD or DO.

Here's my list:

KCOM
DMU
PCOM
WesternU
Touro
LECOM
NSU-COM

I'm mostly looking for schools that are in decent areas (my SO is from San Fran, so I don't want to throw her out in a rural area for 4 years), have decent to modern facilities, and give students good rotations.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks so much

I would add DMU-com. Recently interviewed here with similar stats. They are really big on experiences so your years in the health care field would probably help a lot. Good luck!!