Compilation 509+ MCAT Study Habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supremus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use the template below:

1) Your individual scores and composite score
2) The study method used for each section
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores)
5) What was your undergraduate major?
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Solution
Use the template below:

1) Scores:
  • C/P: 128
  • CARS: 131
  • Bio: 132
  • Psych: 127
  • Total: 518
  • Overall: I read every page of the review books and took notes for chem and psych, as they were my weakest sections. For any section that I had never gone over in school, I read and took notes (such as the metabolism sections). I would go back and forth with the Kaplan online videos/lessons, their practice problems, and the book in order to really memorize the info
  • Chem/Phys: this was easily my weakest section to begin with, so I went back to the basics (for chem)
  • CARS: the Kaplan tips on how to work with the CARS section were invaluable. Their hour-long MCAT channel...
523 (130/131/130/132)
Started in late May, went to prep course classes about 3x a week for four hours a day (I skipped most of the CARS lessons because they weren't personally very helpful after the first class), started practice tests a little less than a month prior to the test date (Aug 5th).
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Prep101 MCAT course (AKA 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning, 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology, EK books, NS FL practice exams + 1AAMC FL)
4 NS practice tests: 511 average (127/128/127/129, 127/128/128/128, 128/127/127/129, 128/128/127/129)
Scored AAMC practice test: 521 (130/131/130/130)
Psychology with a minor in sociology (P/S section was a blessing tbh)
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Don't get burnt out, try to space out your studying as much as possible and most of all, do as many practice tests as you can and /review all your mistakes in detail/. Plan something fun on the day before the test.
Roughly 2.5 months.
Congrats on your amazing score! Which prep course did you end up taking?

I followed, with a few adjustments, the schedule @mcatmatt made (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...6-lots-of-passages-not-too-much-anki.1195900/). I'm not sure why it's so slept on but for me it was the absolute perfect program. If your goal is a really high score, I 1000% recommend it. I set my goal as 520 and devoted myself to achieving that. So aim high! I followed my schedule that I had drawn up every day and it was great to keep me focused. One of the best and most original things about McatMatt's program is the extensive and systematic review of all full length + AAMC materials. It's all free as well - this isn't an infomercial (though he does do tutoring).

I was doing passages from the very beginning, which I think helped me to eventually feel really well about any passage they could throw at me. In the last 2-3 weeks, I made ~500 flashcards by hand and memorized them. I made the flashcards by going through the notes I had taken on every wrong question from a practice test (or ones I guessed and got lucky) and making a card for each one. Don't make the same mistake twice! This was crucial for me to finally put all the pieces together.

CP: This is all about having a solid grasp of the fundamentals - content review - and then learning how to apply basic concepts to seemingly tricky passages. Stay focused on what you know or can deduce and don't be intimidated by new terms. Remember that you can solve the problems using your base of knowledge.

CARS: One word to say on CARS: even if you're good at it, it is absolutely worth reviewing. Don't think you're to smart to study for it. I've always been good at reading, but saw a serious improvement when I started doing it intentionally with the EK strategy in mind. Don't be the person who underachieves from what you're capable of.

BS: This for me was the most tedious to study for. There are just a ton of facts that you need to know. I thought the TBR was overkill for this, but it did help me get a base. The EK books were fantastic and wonderfully illustrated in color. Once I had memorized what I needed to know, this section became a breeze. Moral of the story: get the content down and it will come to you.

PS: I did the scheduled TPR content review, but what made me feel most comfortable was going over the 100 page Khan Academy notes that was made by some great people at /r/mcat - https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/4b2h3u/khan_academy_psychology_sociology_psychsociology/. I printed them out and made flashcards for every term I didn't know.

I used the TBR 2015 Chem, Physics, and Bio books and used them for basic review. For PS, the Princeton Review book. I bought the entire EK 2015 set (which has super helpful 30 minute exams.) I went through the EK books last, reading the chapters on topics I was weak on and doing every 30 minute exam.

EK1: 70%
EK2: 75%
EK3: 74%
EK4: 79%
Scored AAMC: 521: 129/132/130/130
Unscored AAMC:
NS1: 514

Neuroscience

Put in the time - in a smart way - and you will achieve the best result you can. Make sure that you're studying in an efficient way - do your research first on the best books and study schedules before you start studying. This will reduce stress, organize your thoughts, and increase your score.

3.5 months, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Really blessed that I am able to post on here.

510 - 127/125/127/131

I used EK books, Princeton and KA for psych, and Kaplan for biochemistry and organic chemistry

NS1: 510
NS2: 506
NS3: 506
EK4: 66% (75%, 49%, 71%, 68%)
EK3: 68% (61%, 68%, 69%, 73%)
EK2: 71% (61%, 58%, 75%, 90%)
AAMC Sample: 81% (86%, 85%, 66%, 85%)
AAMC Scored: 514

Health Science

Spend less time on content and more time on practicing.

6 months, 3-4 hours per day and a little more on the weekends.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
129:129:131:130 - 519

Content review for all sections except CARS, and a large amount of practice problems and passages for all sections.
I did develop a fairly large ANKI deck during my study period (~2000 cards*). . One thing that is key, is to plan out your schedule; how long will you study? what materials will you use? how will you keep track of everything? For me, I knew that I would be studying over a longer period of time, at a lower intensity, and ANKI was perfect for this.
ANKI setup - changed the maximum interval to 20 days, as I had a fear that cards with very long intervals would not come up again before my test.
- increased maximum new card limit to ~80
- increased review limit to ~200-300.
I also probably did three or four cram sessions with my entire deck throughout my study period.
*Whenever I got a problem wrong, I usually wrote down the relevant details in a notebook and then would make ANKI cards out for that concept at the end of the day. Also, organic molecules, enzyme intermediates, and such were all made into ANKI cards, and I probably missed some, but I did have a large reservoir of molecules I knew cold.

Chem & Phys - TBR: read through the books and did ~30% of the associated questions. Once I started practice exams I went back to sections that I was having trouble with.
CARS - TPR Hyperlearning workbook: was great practice, and believe I only used about half of the passages in the book.
Khan Academy: Probably did about 25% of the practice passages from Khan academy, which I thought were pretty good.
Bio - TBR & Khan Academy: I have never taken a physiology class so I supplemented TBR with Khan academy for some of the physio concepts. I probably did ~30% of the practice passages between the two books (TBR Bio I & II). I focused less on the biochemistry, genetics, and molecular and cell portion of this section, which I knew well from prior classes.
Psych & Soc - I used the TPR Psych and Soc book, which really requires the online amendments to be useful. Also, I used the 300 page summary of the Psych and Soc videos from Khan academy, which is floating around the MCAT sub of reddit. Basically I went through the glossary of the TPR book early on in my studying and made ANKI notecards on every term, then as I did Khan academy passages (which are probably the best psych & soc passages besides the AAMC stuff) and practice tests, I added more ANKI notecards and refined the existing ones.

NOTE:
Not shown in exact order, but I did take the NS in order, and my final practice exam was the scored FL by the AAMC.
TPR 1 & 2
499 (124:125:125:125)
500 (125:125:125:125)
*Both done very early as my first two practice exams. I really cannot recommend the TPR practice exams. People may think "oh they are harder, so they will prepare me better," but this is a failing of logic, as the TPR exams are poorly worded, convulted, oddities, that veer way off course from what you will see, and as such, won't prepare you well. Same goes for Kaplan.
Kaplan 1&2
501 (125:125:125:126)
- ( - : - : 128: - )
Next Step 1-4
509 (128:125:128:128)
511 (128:127:128:128)
512 (128:127:128:129)
- (129:126:127: - )
* By the final NS exam I had come to the conclusion that their P/S section was not very good and not worth my time.
AAMC OG Half Length
~78% on all sections
AAMC Sample Test 1
90%:83%:83%:78% (really cracked down on P/S after this, and did more active learning through practice problems on Khan and the e-MCAT AAMC site)
AAMC Practice Test 1
518 (130:129:130:129)*
*Taken two days before my exam. Most people score within ~2 points of this exam if taken within the last two-ish weeks before the actual exam date from what I have seen.

Also...
Did many Khan Academy questions for all sections, which I felt were indicative and good practice (don't know why they get more hate on here than those POS TPR and Kaplan materials).
Did the section banks the week before my scored FL exam, which helped solidify P/S for me.
Did all AAMC materials that have been released, q packs, flashcards, SB's. These should be a priority. I have had peers who will spend $2000 on a prep course, yet they don't even go over the AAMC materials, no wonder they're capped out at a 508... This test is all about maximizing your study time, and prepping in the best way possible. You can't just buy your way to a good score, and a set of review books and khan academy + youtube lecturers for concepts you are weak in - is all you need.

Chemistry - Biomolecular Emphasis
All prerequisites taken prior to the exam (except I haven't taken a psych course though, and my sociology course was a bad joke) along with several upper division biology and chemistry courses.

Another note is that I have always been a fast test taker (~20 minutes left after question review for each section, maybe ~15 for CARS) and really had to force myself to slowdown for this test and use a methodical approach to problems so that I would not miss the little tricks. I found the actual MCAT had less little tricks to trip you up than most of my practice materials.

Practice problems, practice problems, practice problems. I
The MCAT can be "beaten" as a test to a certain extent. Everyone has a potential that lies near the furthest portions of the right hand side of the curve. It all comes down to how you study, and how long you study. That is it; hard work and dedication to one of the most important tests of your life will get you a score that will get you into medical school. With that said; if you don't do well, don't let your self worth become tangled into this mess of a test.

Really plan out your studying, I didn't have an exact schedule made, but knew when I wanted to take the exam and started looking up reviews of prep material in advance, and getting a general gist of how other people had done well. If you're in this thread reading, then you're on the right track. This test really really sucks. Make sure you only have to take it once, since most schools average your score, not to mention the high cost of taking this test.

If I could do it over again, I would have gone through more practice problems, I hated doing them, but really they are the best way to learn for this test. Even for CARS. If you used the AAMC CARS Q packs, TPR hyperlearning, and whatever equivalent there is from EK (can't remember the name) - you're looking at several hundred passages to help prep you for this exam and to improve your score.

When doing practice problems and passages, you should be spending about as much time going over the problems as you did actually doing them and working them out. Content review will only get you so far, and it really is one thing to get these concepts down vs. applying them, which was evident in my early psych scores.

Make sure to utilize the process of elimination. When you get to a confusing question stem or answer choice reword it in a very simple way using a few words.

If you are unsure on which prep materials to get, TBR was really great, and good "bang for your buck" given the huge amount of good questions they have per section, and the great way they explain concepts in the natural sciences. Even then, you'll probably need to supplement with TPR hyperlearning for CARS and other company practice exams (EK was like $50 per test, NS was ~$25 per test, and I heard good things about both, so I went with the cheaper option). I cannot speak to the quality of the TBR psych book though (I'm sure its good, but have no first hand experience with it).

~5 months part time, occasional increase in intensity and time. Probably averaged about ~4hr/day over this period.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been using TBR for passages and inlecture probelms and after doing their gen chem it was so amazing I went ahead and began doing their lectures, too. I have the TBR from 2013 do you think I am disadvantaged here? I do problems frequently inlecture (foundational) and then at the commencement of each subject I do full blown passages till I want to die. I plan to buy EK 1001's for all subjects do all the problems for TBR and do FL's from all major companies (and AAMCAS of course). Were you fursrated when TBR passages asked material that you didn't study because they were no longer listed in the AAMCAS outline for 2015? Any help would be great as I am expiriencing frusrating with TBR's ochem due to the fact that it seems to cover material that is no longer on the MCAT 2015 changes. Thanks so much!

The first bolded part of your post ("TBR from 2013") is the answer to the question you posed in the second bolded part of your post ("expiriencing frusrating with TBR's ochem due to the fact that it seems to cover material that is no longer on the MCAT 2015 changes."). The organic chemistry book changed more than any of our materials (because of the addition of a substantial amount of structural biochemistry), so 2013 BR organic chemistry books are in fact outdated.

As far as BR books for biology, general chemistry, and physics go, you can get by using the 2013 books for the new test. You may have to ignore a couple topics in physics and general chemistry (that are no longer tested), but those sections of the MCAT did change much and our biology books already had an emphasis on biochemistry by that time. The difference in our 2016 books in that area are significantly more passages, more questions in the research and experimental logic area, and some new test strategies. I think 2016 are a nice improvement, but I've read about students getting some great scores using the 2013 biology, general chemistry, and physics books.

But when it comes to organic chemistry, you MUST use the newer books. The 2013 book has many things that were removed for the 2016 version, but even more importantly 2016 OC Book II is essentially a introductory biochemistry book that addresses all of the new organic chemistry topics such as lipids and biochemistry lab techniques. You cannot and should not use the 2013 organic chemistry book.

The first bolded part of your post ("TBR from 2013") is the answer to the question you posed in the second bolded part of your post ("expiriencing frusrating with TBR's ochem due to the fact that it seems to cover material that is no longer on the MCAT 2015 changes."). The organic chemistry book changed more than any of our materials (because of the addition of a substantial amount of structural biochemistry), so 2013 BR organic chemistry books are in fact outdated.

As far as BR books for biology, general chemistry, and physics go, you can get by using the 2013 books for the new test. You may have to ignore a couple topics in physics and general chemistry (that are no longer tested), but those sections of the MCAT did change much and our biology books already had an emphasis on biochemistry by that time. The difference in our 2016 books in that area are significantly more passages, more questions in the research and experimental logic area, and some new test strategies. I think 2016 are a nice improvement, but I've read about students getting some great scores using the 2013 biology, general chemistry, and physics books.

But when it comes to organic chemistry, you MUST use the newer books. The 2013 book has many things that were removed for the 2016 version, but even more importantly 2016 OC Book II is essentially a introductory biochemistry book that addresses all of the new organic chemistry topics such as lipids and biochemistry lab techniques. You cannot and should not use the 2013 organic chemistry book.
Totally random would I be able to get a discount from you guys if I ordered the updated O-chem book and psych book? I literally bought your books last year and I'd like the newer version..

Totally random would I be able to get a discount from you guys if I ordered the updated O-chem book and psych book? I literally bought your books last year and I'd like the newer version..

Second that Cloverbale! Now that I see this, I need to buy the new O-Chem and psych books, which are not cheap. Anyone has used ones?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1) 127/127/128/132 (514, 92nd percentile)

2) I just used Kaplan strategy for each section. Did specific content review, described in #6. For psych, I literally just read through the Kaplan book in 1 week (took about 20h total) and spent 6h writing flash cards. Reviewed them regularly, perfect score in psych. It really is the easiest section (then again, I did major in psych). If you can memorize and use basic critical thinking, there is no reason to not score well in the psych section. The other 3 are much harder. Use that to your advantage; spend some time on psych and your composite score will thank you.

3) Kaplan & AAMC (I did EVERY single AAMC question out there. Every qpack, the entire section bank, and all the practice tests).

4) Kaplan diagnostic, full lengths 1-5, and both AAMC tests.
Only score I have for sure is my diagnostic: 496 (122/127/123/124). I don't have access to my other scores. I do know that I went from a 500 on Kaplan FL 1 to a 510 on FL 5. I then did the AAMC scored and reached 512. Interestingly, my CARS score is the only one that did not increase from my diagnostic. Every other section saw a dramatic increase.

5) Biology & Psychology double major, minor in bioethics. The psych section was by far the easiest for me. I finished with 35 minutes left on test day and got a perfect score - the only section I did exceptionally well on.

6) The Kaplan prep course was really helpful for me. Class sessions were useful, but I missed about half of them because of Crohn's and never found time to make them up, so I can't accurately judge how much of a difference the in-class sessions made. I did my best to utilize their strategies. I'm actually teaching for Kaplan now and think their curriculum is pretty solid. My students all seem receptive to it, but the score increase really comes from work done after the class ends. I saw the biggest increase when I started doing 1 full length a week. I did this after my course ended until my test date, which was about 6 weeks. I would take a full length, thoroughly review it, find my weak content areas, review those content areas, practice with problems relevent to the weak content area, and then take another full length. Rinse, repeat. I saw an average of a 2 point score increase per week. Went from a 504 on FL2 to a 514 on the real thing in only 6 weeks. If I had delayed applying until next year and taken the MCAT in September, I likely would have passed 514 by a significant amount. I would recommend this general model for ANYONE studying, since it lets you focus on your weakest areas and workup. Prep courses are good for strategy, but this is the best way to get the content down and build your stamina. I personally found Kaplan's strategies helpful, but you may find another test prep company more suited to your needs. I'd do some research on how the courses are structured before doing one and see which fits you best.

7) I started studying in January and ended up taking it on July 9th, so about 6 months. However, it was far from 6 months of dedicated MCAT study. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in January of this year and ended up being hospitalised for a large portion of April. My studying was very inconsistent, and my MCAT journey was rocky to say the least. I probably studied for about what could be accomplished in 2 months of studying every day.

Ps. Flash cards are your best friend. Make them for all of the formulas. Make them for the amino acids. And don't neglect units like I did! I missed so many simple unit problems because I hadn't memorzied all of them. I also would get math problems wrong because I knew how to do conversions, but I would forget which unit to convert to. Ex. for a certain problem if you're given micrometers and need to convert, you need to know if the formula uses meters or kilometers. That's where I'd always get tripped up. Memorizing that will take almost no effort, but it'll get you more points for sure!

General flash card strategy: Make 3 piles. Once a day, once a week, and once a month. Start with once a day. Everyone you get right, move to once a week. Everyone you get wrong stays in once a day. When you're doing once a week, move the ones you get right to once a month and move the ones you get wrong down to every day again. Rinse, repeat. Makes studying much less time consuming & efficient so you can focus on what you really don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks so much I will keep your advice in mind. I will get through all the content take a a FL and buy new organic books and then target weak areas- I do have EK for organic and to be honest it wasn't SO different excpet that TBR went into alot my rxns.

thanks so much!!

Congrats on Score @GonFreecs - did you ever see the AAMC flashcards? Wondering how relevant they are (I bought them; have them with me everywhere - have the "got correct" pile and the "need to understand" pile... at least I have 2 piles already!)
The Cards are really helpful!

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
129/126/129/129 - 513

For all of the sections I used Kaplan books. I bought the set online but did not take the course ($2200 is a lot of money!) Monday through Saturday I went to the library for 4 or 5 hours for about 3 months - 50 minute intervals followed by 10 minute rest. I made outlines, notecards, and did tons of practice problems. I also bought the AAMC package with their notecards and practice sets (great idea!!).

Kaplan for all. Extra book for CARS in PR b/c it was my weakness

Every Wednesday for the last 2 months I took a practice test from Kaplan, Princeton Review, or AAMC. At first, I was scoring 496, 498, 500 repeatedly. However, it is my belief that they make those exams harder so that you buy their course. I continued studying all the material and took the AAMC tests. These are the best indicators of your score! I got around 513 each time and...hey that was my actual score too!

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biomedical Engineering

I was freaking out at the beginning b/c my low scores. Stay consistent and just challenge yourself with a strict schedule. Also, I thought I didn't do great when I took the actual MCAT but I was pleasantly surprised - don't just void your score.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? 3 months, 4ish hours a day 6 days a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey this brings me a lot of hope! My goal is 510+ (although 515+ doesn't hurt). I'm also using all Kaplan and AAMC materials (which I haven't started yet). I'm ALSO a biomedical engineering major and I ALSO scored sub 500 on my first practice exam! Hahaha. Not giving up, thanks for your post!!

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
129/126/129/129 - 513

For all of the sections I used Kaplan books. I bought the set online but did not take the course ($2200 is a lot of money!) Monday through Saturday I went to the library for 4 or 5 hours for about 3 months - 50 minute intervals followed by 10 minute rest. I made outlines, notecards, and did tons of practice problems. I also bought the AAMC package with their notecards and practice sets (great idea!!).

Kaplan for all. Extra book for CARS in PR b/c it was my weakness

Every Wednesday for the last 2 months I took a practice test from Kaplan, Princeton Review, or AAMC. At first, I was scoring 496, 498, 500 repeatedly. However, it is my belief that they make those exams harder so that you buy their course. I continued studying all the material and took the AAMC tests. These are the best indicators of your score! I got around 513 each time and...hey that was my actual score too!

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biomedical Engineering

I was freaking out at the beginning b/c my low scores. Stay consistent and just challenge yourself with a strict schedule. Also, I thought I didn't do great when I took the actual MCAT but I was pleasantly surprised - don't just void your score.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? 3 months, 4ish hours a day 6 days a week.

Total: 517 (PS: 130 CARS: 129 BS: 130 Psych: 128)

To start studying, I focused on learning the content and went through a complete book for each individual subject. After reading through the books thoroughly, I went to the AAMC website and looked the specific topics for all of the subjects and made a Word document with the ones I felt I needed the most work on.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/

After brushing up on weaker topics, I tried to do as many questions as possible, whether it be through a practice test or just stand alone passages. I used Khan Academy heavily for practice passages, even though I felt they were harder than what was actually seen on the exam.

When I was too lazy to read an entire passage and just wanted to answer questions, I'd go to www.mcatquestion.com and do a few questions each day.

Kaplan MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review

Also used AAMC for Online Official Guide question set and to create a list of topics to study more.

Used Khan Academy to help study topics I needed to study more and for practice problems.

Kaplan FL1: 508 (127, 128, 128, 125)
Kaplan FL2: 508 (127, 128, 127, 126)* Taken in multiple sittings
Kaplan FL3: 508 (127, 126, 128, 127)* Taken in multiple sittings
TPR Demo Test: 505 (125, 125, 126, 127)
AAMC Scored: 513 (130, 128, 129, 126)

Biochemistry

A major decision to make when starting is to determine whether you need to focus more on the content or test-taking skills. If you don't feel confident on the topics, I'd recommend going through the Kaplan books as they are exhaustive, but do tend to overload you with unnecessary information. If you feel good with the content and want to attack the test more methodically, I'd recommend using Examkrackers as they integrate the content and problem-solving well.

After you feel good about the content, practice, practice, and practice more. Try to take as many questions as you possibly can because this will familiarize you with both the design of the questions but also refresh on the content and application of it. If I were to do it all over again, I would take more practice tests and use those to see where my deficiencies in content were. Granted, everyone has their own style of learning, but this was the best method for me.

The best investment for questions would be to buy as many of the question sets from the AAMC as possible. These are from the test-makers so the questions don't get more representative of the real thing.

Lastly, come test day, make sure you pack healthy and light snacks. I took all of my breaks and found a quick glass of water and a quick bite to eat (apple, cheese, etc.) reinvigorating.

2.5 months

Reactions: 3 users
1) Score: 520; 131/128/132/129 (July 2015)

2) Method: Nothing too structured, my key strategy was to go over everything at least once and understand as much as possible then focus on my weaknesses with more detailed studying (quality over quantity). It is important to avoid the pitfall of focusing on what you're good at just because it makes you feel good about yourself. Also, don't rush through everything just to check it off a list you made, focus on understanding things however long that may take. Every topic will take varying amounts of time so I wouldn't set specific hours for each chapter.

I did at least a few practice questions for each topic and more for the topics I was less comfortable with. I would not recommend wasting time doing every single passage/question you can find for every topic, that is precious time you can spend elsewhere. I only memorized key concepts in each topic rather than every minute detail. I think this new exam is really about balancing a combination of fundamental knowledge in each subject with critical analysis of new information in a potentially unfamiliar context.

As many have mentioned before, start with more studying and a little practice then gradually tip the balance towards more practice and less studying as you near your test date. Make sure you can answer a question about every subject, that is the only way you will know that you understood it well. I would suggest making notes of the major basic topics in each section to keep revising as you go (e.g. amino acids, physics equations, period table trends).

IMO the 3-4 month study schedules are overkill unless you have never taken a science course in your life. Doing well depends more on having the right strategy and on knowing just enough rather than knowing as much as possible. You need to practice enough to develop key test-taking strategies, like identifying key/relevant points in a passage, process of elimination, etc. You have to accept that on several occasions you might not know the answer but you will still get it right by identifying which answers don't sound right. Prepare yourself mentally for this test and don't just rely on how much you have studied.

3) Materials:
1- Read through all Kaplan 2015 chapters at least once for the sciences. Definitely a bit too much detail in these books so don't get bogged down with memorizing everything. This is especially relevant for those last 2 chapters of the biochem book.
2- TPR + Khan + random websites for psych/soc -> this was a major weakness so I made sure I understood every concept. I would say TPR is good but not sufficient. At the same time, I had the sense that it was impossible to know everything for this section because the content guide was so vague. Either way I did well because most of my questions required critical analysis of the experiments/studies in the passage as opposed to pure facts. Would definitely have appreciated more practice for this section to feel a bit easier going into the exam.
3- TBR for bio/biochem passages, TPR science workbook for chem/phys/ochem practice, Examkrackers for verbal, Khan and NextStep for psych/soc passages.

PS If you do not have a strong foundation in biochem then you might want to read from a textbook (as some have recommended on these threads). I don't think any textbook is better than another and I have never studied from a biochem textbook even for my BSc. I would again warn against memorizing as if it was a biochem final exam. Use the extra reading to understand the material only.

4) Practice tests
Kaplan 1: 125/128/126/125
Kaplan 2: 126/128/128/124
TPR1: 126/127/125/125
AAMC FL (2 weeks out): 88%/94%/90%/88%
AAMC guide (3 days out): 87%/---/90%/93%

5) Major: Biochemistry BSc + MSc (was ~4 years out of undergrad when I took the MCAT)

6) TIPS: This test is largely about confidence and confidence =/= memorizing as much as possible. Go over the material once then do practice questions to gauge your level of comfort with each topic. After that focus on your weaknesses with more targeted studying and passages until you feel good about it. Rotate through the subjects so you are comfortable jumping between things while keeping your thoughts organized. A really big thing on this test is being able to understand research as most of the passages are taken directly from published articles. Also, know your lab methods well and how to interpret results form those methods.
Check this for my tips on learning how to understand research:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ctice-for-the-mcat2015.1132316/#post-16417043

I think my research experience definitely gave me an edge for this new test. Although I was far from mastering all the material, I felt comfortable reading and understanding most of the passages without freaking out about not knowing what they were specifically talking about. It is important to ignore some details in the passage (for example specific protein names) and extract the general idea or relate it to something more familiar and simple. The new chem/phys section is loaded with passages that seem crazy when you first look at them but in the end are just an exaggerated version of a simple system.

Another major factor for this new test is being comfortable with sitting through a 7+ hour exam. Do timed practices several times just to learn how to focus for so long, take your breaks to stretch out/drink water/use the bathroom. Make sure your testing center has good ear plugs or get some yourself. You want 0 distractions during the test, you have to be 100% focused and confident of your first-instinct answers. I found whenever I second guessed myself during practice I was changing to a wrong answer.

CARS was my biggest weakness going into this and so I made sure to practice as much as possible. This doesn't mean doing 100 passages a day, but rather doing at least 1-2 passages per day every day and 1 full length each week until the test day. Doing verbal is like a habit and if you stop for a couple of days your performance will likely suffer. Also be mentally ready for longer passages during the test but DO NOT let them freak you out. The worst thing you can do during the test is panic. Keep your cool and make sure to stick to a 10min time limit for each passage. The best strategy for CARS that worked for me was to take time to read the passage carefully and understand it as much as possible. I would take at least 2 minutes to read each passage. It is much easier to know the answer immediately than have to go back because most questions cannot be answered by reading specific parts of the passage. There is no point rushing through just to save time if you have no clue what you just read.

Another thing worth mentioning is to take everything you read on here about topics tested with a grain of salt. Last year the topics tested varied wildly from date to date and even within versions on the same date. Don't risk anything by completely ignoring a subject. Know your formulas for physics, learn the key Ochem families, study your physiology, etc.

7) Length of Studying: 2.5 months (May 1st - Mid July) working full-time throughout except for 10 days before the exam. On average, I studied 2-4 hours after work on weekdays and up to 7 hours on weekends. I really don't think you need more than this if you have a strong foundation in the sciences. It actually helps to have something on the side that takes your mind off studying and ensures that you are productively studying a few hours a day rather than being inefficient for a whole day because you're burnt out or bored.

Glad to provide any advice, feel free to message me.

Hi, I was just wondering where you got all of the AAMC Material from? I can't find anything on other websites.

To start studying, I focused on learning the content and went through a complete book for each individual subject. After reading through the books thoroughly, I went to the AAMC website and looked the specific topics for all of the subjects and made a Word document with the ones I felt I needed the most work on.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/

After brushing up on weaker topics, I tried to do as many questions as possible, whether it be through a practice test or just stand alone passages. I used Khan Academy heavily for practice passages, even though I felt they were harder than what was actually seen on the exam.

When I was too lazy to read an entire passage and just wanted to answer questions, I'd go to www.mcatquestion.com and do a few questions each day.

Also used AAMC for Online Official Guide question set and to create a list of topics to study more.

Used Khan Academy to help study topics I needed to study more and for practice problems.

Biochemistry

A major decision to make when starting is to determine whether you need to focus more on the content or test-taking skills. If you don't feel confident on the topics, I'd recommend going through the Kaplan books as they are exhaustive, but do tend to overload you with unnecessary information. If you feel good with the content and want to attack the test more methodically, I'd recommend using Examkrackers as they integrate the content and problem-solving well.

After you feel good about the content, practice, practice, and practice more. Try to take as many questions as you possibly can because this will familiarize you with both the design of the questions but also refresh on the content and application of it. If I were to do it all over again, I would take more practice tests and use those to see where my deficiencies in content were. Granted, everyone has their own style of learning, but this was the best method for me.

The best investment for questions would be to buy as many of the question sets from the AAMC as possible. These are from the test-makers so the questions don't get more representative of the real thing.

Lastly, come test day, make sure you pack healthy and light snacks. I took all of my breaks and found a quick glass of water and a quick bite to eat (apple, cheese, etc.) reinvigorating.

2.5 months

Hi, I was just wondering where you guys get all the AAMC material from? I really want to access it for practice exams. Please let me know if you can help!

Many congrats on the incredible score, @hubbsbubbs! To clarify, did you use only Kaplan for content review? Could you do a quick breakdown of what books you used to practice for each subject?

Many congrats on the incredible score, @hubbsbubbs! To clarify, did you use only Kaplan for content review? Could you do a quick breakdown of what books you used to practice for each subject?
No problem. I only used Kaplan for review. I feel that it is sufficient. Berkeley review is too in depth. Often, you won't need that much knowledge. The MCAT is a critical thinking test. I used the next step 108 passages for CARS. And khan for psychology. But otherwise, I feel that it is more important to take practice tests rather than focus on content.

No problem. I only used Kaplan for review. I feel that it is sufficient. Berkeley review is too in depth. Often, you won't need that much knowledge. The MCAT is a critical thinking test. I used the next step 108 passages for CARS. And khan for psychology. But otherwise, I feel that it is more important to take practice tests rather than focus on content.

Great, this is helpful, thanks a lot. In the second part of my post, I was trying to ask what materials you used to practice for each of the sections (beyond content review).

497 mcat

Breakdown: physical science 125/cars 122/ biology 125/psych 125

Materials used:
Tpr review books, aamc material

Time studying:
1500 hours, about 8 hours a day

Tips: try your best and not stress

Last edited:
So I read through most of the above and I'm still left wondering how to "quickly" improve my verbal reasoning/CARS. I'm ESL and have struggled pretty much with that section exclusively. I've received some pretty decent advice in other forums, but seems there's a lot more MCAT "specialists" within this thread. I've tried kaplan, RX4MCAT, EK so far (although didn't go through complete course of RX yet. I'm reading opinion articles and news etc. I'm hovering around 6-7 on 'old' exam parameters. Anyone here (preferably a fellow ESL applicant) have success with any particular program/strategy? My friend told me RX4mcat has the best verbal reasoning geared towards ESL students, but I haven't read much on here about it, so decided to hold off with the fairly substantial price tag (~$200). Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
So I read through most of the above and I'm still left wondering how to "quickly" improve my verbal reasoning/CARS. I'm ESL and have struggled pretty much with that section exclusively. I've received some pretty decent advice in other forums, but seems there's a lot more MCAT "specialists" within this thread. I've tried kaplan, RX4MCAT, EK so far (although didn't go through complete course of RX yet. I'm reading opinion articles and news etc. I'm hovering around 6-7 on 'old' exam parameters. Anyone here (preferably a fellow ESL applicant) have success with any particular program/strategy? My friend told me RX4mcat has the best verbal reasoning geared towards ESL students, but I haven't read much on here about it, so decided to hold off with the fairly substantial price tag (~$200). Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
I'm also English-second language (from Ukraine). My English is decent/good, but VR/CARS gave me palpitations just thinking about it after trying a few practice runs. I've been prepping for about 1 year now....:/ RX and EK worked great for me in terms of timing. Kahn acad is free which is nice, but didn't help me much to be honest, maybe just not enough material and didn't feel true to the exam. Kaplan was too overwhelming with almost TOO many options for studying. Reading opinion articles and really getting a feel for complex topics that pull in lots of references. RX4 offered the best explanations I've encountered so I mostly studied those, which seemed to hone in on the subtleties of the exam. This is my experience after exhaustive forum browsing/experimenting on my own. Brought my score from a 4 (yes 4.... or around 121 on CARS scoring system) to around 9 or 126, which for me is great:) Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a message if you have additional questions.

Kaplan was too much for me and too pricey. RX4MCAT seems to be the best CARS with EK a close second IMO. Agreen Khan for psychology is good. Of course agree the 'real' practice AAMC tests are a must.

Biochemistry

2.5 months

Wow perhaps kaplan has improved in the few months since I've used it. It seems unfocused when I tried going to their website. Maybe just my inexperience at the time I suppose. EK was definitely better for time though and RX4mcat better for understanding psychology/tactics behind CARS. Have focused on CARS in the last year since I'm fairly proficient on other sections, so can't attest to the rest. Thanks for the detailed breakdown!:)

Kaplan was too much for me and too pricey. RX4MCAT seems to be the best CARS with EK a close second IMO. Agreen Khan for psychology is good. Of course agree the 'real' practice AAMC tests are a must.

I'm thinking there's not really a "quick" way to improve CARS scores; seems like the best thing might be just reading articles that have some complexity to them, mainly because that's what the AAMC passages (which to me are, obviously, the most authentic) seem to be. I did spring for EK and thought it was pretty good in this regard, but it does seem like consistently reading dense material is the best route...sorry.

497 mcat

Breakdown: physical science 125/cars 122/ biology 125/psych 125

Materials used:
Tpr review books, aamc material

Time studying:
1500 hours, about 8 hours a day

Tips: try your best and not stress

Wow perhaps kaplan has improved in the few months since I've used it. It seems unfocused when I tried going to their website. Maybe just my inexperience at the time I suppose. EK was definitely better for time though and RX4mcat better for understanding psychology/tactics behind CARS. Have focused on CARS in the last year since I'm fairly proficient on other sections, so can't attest to the rest. Thanks for the detailed breakdown!:)
Yeah, CARS is definitely a challenge for me as well. Debating whether to just try to improve generalized reading skills or focus more on test-specific passages. Not really sure what to do here, but since I'm planning to sit for late 2017 exam, I'm leaning towards generalized now and maybe something more specific in a few months.

Great, this is helpful, thanks a lot. In the second part of my post, I was trying to ask what materials you used to practice for each of the sections (beyond content review).

This is my personal rankings of practice test material:

AAMC -> NS -> EK -> TBR -> Kaplan -> PR

Factored in are similarity to the actual MCAT and cost.
I would rely primarily on the AAMC section bank and Nextstep practice material.

I'm thinking there's not really a "quick" way to improve CARS scores; seems like the best thing might be just reading articles that have some complexity to them, mainly because that's what the AAMC passages (which to me are, obviously, the most authentic) seem to be. I did spring for EK and thought it was pretty good in this regard, but it does seem like consistently reading dense material is the best route...sorry.
While I don't really totally disagree with you, I do think it's necessary, especially with CARS, to practice with passages and questions that are as similar as possible to the actual MCAT. What I'm not sure about is what those are. The AAMC is great (obviously), but from reading so many posts, it feels like many of these other programs don't quite get it done...I so appreciate all the commentary, though, since I am just beginning to get prepared...thanks.

I believe you need to rethink your entire approach. Putting your scores into perspective you got a 10 on the old style (4 PS, 4 Verbal, 2 BS). That should tell you that you lack a majority of the information and must improve your testing skills. Changing books is not going to do that. Changing your attitude and approach will. You put in 300 hours (maybe less) for an exam that most of us put in between 600 and 1000 hours. If you switch materials and don't put in the effort, then you will get the same result. Maybe rather than rushing into a repeat, you should spend some time reviewing the materials. I personally loved TBR more than everything I looked at. You should find the materials that work for you. Your course notes for biochemistry resulted in a 2 on the MCAT, so you probably should scrap those. Spend time getting the concepts down before you think about studying for this test.

Way to throw the guy under the bus. Classy answer. Look, his scores probably mean he needs to do more than study for a few more months, but you are coming across like an a**hole. I don't think you need to judge the number of hours he's studying. Some people need more, some less. The guy didn't ask you for a critique of his life and how serious you think he's taking studying. Give him whatever advice you have, but if you can't help yourself from coming across like an dingus...maybe it's better not to give any advice at all.

Biochemistry

2.5 months

About your FL .. did you take them in that order? If yes, why do you think you perform worse on your last Mcat? (TPR cars section )

About your FL .. did you take them in that order? If yes, why do you think you perform worse on your last Mcat? (TPR cars section )
I took the Kaplan ones first, then AAMC, and last TPR. I just think the varying scores reflect the varying difficulties of the exams given. Some companies are known to deflate scores in correlation to the actual exam, possibly to make you panic and buy their study products.

I took the Kaplan ones first, then AAMC, and last TPR. I just think the varying scores reflect the varying difficulties of the exams given. Some companies are known to deflate scores in correlation to the actual exam, possibly to make you panic and buy their study products.
I see, the cars section was worrying me because i am constantly scoring between 60 - 70 %

I'm also English-second language (from Ukraine). My English is decent/good, but VR/CARS gave me palpitations just thinking about it after trying a few practice runs. I've been prepping for about 1 year now....:/ RX and EK worked great for me in terms of timing. Kahn acad is free which is nice, but didn't help me much to be honest, maybe just not enough material and didn't feel true to the exam. Kaplan was too overwhelming with almost TOO many options for studying. Reading opinion articles and really getting a feel for complex topics that pull in lots of references. RX4 offered the best explanations I've encountered so I mostly studied those, which seemed to hone in on the subtleties of the exam. This is my experience after exhaustive forum browsing/experimenting on my own. Brought my score from a 4 (yes 4.... or around 121 on CARS scoring system) to around 9 or 126, which for me is great:) Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a message if you have additional questions.
Hey, I'm also from Ukraine, can I found out more about RX4? Thaks in advance

I followed, with a few adjustments, the schedule @mcatmatt made (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...6-lots-of-passages-not-too-much-anki.1195900/). I'm not sure why it's so slept on but for me it was the absolute perfect program. If your goal is a really high score, I 1000% recommend it. I set my goal as 520 and devoted myself to achieving that. So aim high! I followed my schedule that I had drawn up every day and it was great to keep me focused. One of the best and most original things about McatMatt's program is the extensive and systematic review of all full length + AAMC materials. It's all free as well - this isn't an infomercial (though he does do tutoring).

I was doing passages from the very beginning, which I think helped me to eventually feel really well about any passage they could throw at me. In the last 2-3 weeks, I made ~500 flashcards by hand and memorized them. I made the flashcards by going through the notes I had taken on every wrong question from a practice test (or ones I guessed and got lucky) and making a card for each one. Don't make the same mistake twice! This was crucial for me to finally put all the pieces together.

CP: This is all about having a solid grasp of the fundamentals - content review - and then learning how to apply basic concepts to seemingly tricky passages. Stay focused on what you know or can deduce and don't be intimidated by new terms. Remember that you can solve the problems using your base of knowledge.

CARS: One word to say on CARS: even if you're good at it, it is absolutely worth reviewing. Don't think you're to smart to study for it. I've always been good at reading, but saw a serious improvement when I started doing it intentionally with the EK strategy in mind. Don't be the person who underachieves from what you're capable of.

BS: This for me was the most tedious to study for. There are just a ton of facts that you need to know. I thought the TBR was overkill for this, but it did help me get a base. The EK books were fantastic and wonderfully illustrated in color. Once I had memorized what I needed to know, this section became a breeze. Moral of the story: get the content down and it will come to you.

PS: I did the scheduled TPR content review, but what made me feel most comfortable was going over the 100 page Khan Academy notes that was made by some great people at /r/mcat - https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/4b2h3u/khan_academy_psychology_sociology_psychsociology/. I printed them out and made flashcards for every term I didn't know.

I used the TBR 2015 Chem, Physics, and Bio books and used them for basic review. For PS, the Princeton Review book. I bought the entire EK 2015 set (which has super helpful 30 minute exams.) I went through the EK books last, reading the chapters on topics I was weak on and doing every 30 minute exam.

EK1: 70%
EK2: 75%
EK3: 74%
EK4: 79%
Scored AAMC: 521: 129/132/130/130
Unscored AAMC:
NS1: 514

Neuroscience

Put in the time - in a smart way - and you will achieve the best result you can. Make sure that you're studying in an efficient way - do your research first on the best books and study schedules before you start studying. This will reduce stress, organize your thoughts, and increase your score.

3.5 months, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day

So, what's the EK cars strategy?

1) Overall Score: 522 (99th percentile) PS: 130 CARS: 131 BS: 132 Psych: 129

2) Study Method: About 4 months of content review using Kaplan’s books then a month of practice tests using TPR, EK and the official AAMC FL. I also used Kahn academy for any material that was not effectively covered in my courses. I tried to incorporate some lectures from the Great Courses as well. I felt these were more in depth than Kahn Academy, but since they are very expensive unless you get them on sale

3) Study Materials: Kaplan 2015 Bookset, EK tests 1&2, TPR MCAT Complete tests, Some Kahn academy videos, The Great Courses Videos

4) Practice Tests:

Princeton Review FL Scores:
FL Demo: PS:125 CARS:125 BS:127 Psych:127 Total: 504
FL 1: PS:128 CARS:125 BS:127 Psych:125 Total: 505
FL 2: PS:126 CARS:126 BS:129 Psych:128 Total: 509

ExamKrackers FL:
FL1: PS: 46/59 CARS:42/53 BS:45/59 Psych: 43/59 Total: 77%
FL2: PS: 43/59 CARS:34/53 BS 49/59 Psych:48/59 Total: 76%

AAMC FL: PS: 83% CARS: 83% BS: 88% Psych: 83%

5) Undergraduate major: Biology B. S.

6) Tips: Learn how to interpret data and analyze scientific research. This is the most useful skill that you can have going into the exam. This new test is more about reasoning than rote memorization. Reading scientific journal articles and taking classes in which this is required will greatly benefit you.

Also, on test day, you need to try to repeat the conditions in which you took your practice tests. So, simulate the real thing when you practice. If you practice taking all the breaks then take them all even if you feel you don't have do. If you do not take a lunch (like me) then you probably don't want to eat on test day.

7) Time Spent Studying: Around 6-8 hrs per day during the week and maybe 2-3 hrs on weekends.

What all did you use from the Great Courses? I've been listening to their content for quite some time through Audible and was wondering which lectures you think would be the most beneficial to listen to for help on the MCAT. Thank you for your time.

Biochemistry

2.5 months

That's impressive how well you improved based on the practice tests. Since you've already taken the exam and performed extremely well (96%) you seem like the perfect person to answer a few quick questions.

1. Would you still recommend the Kaplan books for someone that has about 3 months to study or so? I'm probably going to sign up for a May 18th exam to give me a little bit of time. (Edit: Thought about doing a late April test but that would be really pushing it)

2. Would a May 18 exam push back my application far enough to the point where it may hurt my consideration?

3. Similar to my first question, is it feasible to obtain a competitive score (90%<) only studying 3 months when you've been out of school since May 2016?

That's impressive how well you improved based on the practice tests. Since you've already taken the exam and performed extremely well (96%) you seem like the perfect person to answer a few quick questions.

1. Would you still recommend the Kaplan books for someone that has about 3 months to study or so? I'm probably going to sign up for a May 18th exam to give me a little bit of time. (Edit: Thought about doing a late April test but that would be really pushing it)

2. Would a May 18 exam push back my application far enough to the point where it may hurt my consideration?

3. Similar to my first question, is it feasible to obtain a competitive score (90%<) only studying 3 months when you've been out of school since May 2016?

1. Depends on how much content you need to review. Kaplan was pretty heavy on the content, so if you feel like you only need a mild refresher, I'd recommend Examkrackers, which is more focused on test-taking skills related to the content.

2. I doubt it, the first applications go out mid-June so you should have your scores in right around then.

3. It's feasible. A lot of it just depends on you and how much you retained from your undergrad classes. If you forgot all the material, it's going to be a lot harder. But as long as you performed well in your classes, the concepts should click quickly after reviewing them again. In my opinion, 3 months is a good amount of time to prepare. Just make sure to do a lot of practice tests and review the content you've missed.

1. Depends on how much content you need to review. Kaplan was pretty heavy on the content, so if you feel like you only need a mild refresher, I'd recommend Examkrackers, which is more focused on test-taking skills related to the content.

2. I doubt it, the first applications go out mid-June so you should have your scores in right around then.

3. It's feasible. A lot of it just depends on you and how much you retained from your undergrad classes. If you forgot all the material, it's going to be a lot harder. But as long as you performed well in your classes, the concepts should click quickly after reviewing them again. In my opinion, 3 months is a good amount of time to prepare. Just make sure to do a lot of practice tests and review the content you've missed.

Thanks for all of the responses. I performed well in all of the classes but I feel like it may take a while to come back to me. It's hard to tell until I really start studying.

I have the complete TBR review set from 2014 at my disposal since that is what I used to "study" before I took the exam the first time. I have heard so many mixed reviews on testing materials which is expected of course. What would you recommend for the psych/soc section? I'll have to get something for that since 2014 TBR didn't include this.

Also, I may actually try to take the exam early June or something like that to give me even more time to prepare. I'm worried about not receiving my scores until July and applying a little later, but an extra month may have a greater impact on my score. Thoughts?

Thanks for all of the responses. I performed well in all of the classes but I feel like it may take a while to come back to me. It's hard to tell until I really start studying.

I have the complete TBR review set from 2014 at my disposal since that is what I used to "study" before I took the exam the first time. I have heard so many mixed reviews on testing materials which is expected of course. What would you recommend for the psych/soc section? I'll have to get something for that since 2014 TBR didn't include this.

Also, I may actually try to take the exam early June or something like that to give me even more time to prepare. I'm worried about not receiving my scores until July and applying a little later, but an extra month may have a greater impact on my score. Thoughts?
Don't apply late.

Hi guys, sorry for the dumb question but when you say AAMC material, did you all purchase the bundle they offer online?
( https://members.aamc.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Action=Add&ObjectKeyFrom=1A83491A-9853-4C87-86A4-F7D95601C2E2&WebCode=ProdDetailAdd&DoNotSave=yes&ParentObject=CentralizedOrderEntry&ParentDataObject=Invoice Detail&ivd_formkey=69202792-63d7-4ba2-bf4e-a0da41270555&ivd_cst_key=4894744d-9c71-4d9b-b605-0eed1dbb983d&ivd_cst_ship_key=4894744d-9c71-4d9b-b605-0eed1dbb983d&ivd_prc_prd_key=841325CB-84CB-40D1-B5E1-9AFD4055F75D )

If yes, did you prefer the physical version or the online version? thank you!!!!!!

Additionally, I feel that physics and gen chem are my weakest subjects, what specifically do you guys suggest is the best for improving these? would getting the TBR of these be best? i am using kaplan currently

Last edited:
Just a reminder folks that the focus of this thread is for people to post their high scoring study strategies. If you have questions/want more specifics on what the person did or more details what part of the resources they used, that's fine. However, if you have lots of questions about materials/resources or what strategies might work best for your particular circumstances, please consider adding to an existing thread on study materials or start a new one. That way this thread doesn't get derailed.

Last edited:
1) Tested 1/19/2017: Total: 511 --> 128/127/128/128

2 & 3) I used a mix of EK, TPR, Khan & Gold Standard Test Materials. Mostly I focused on passage based practice as I had a strong background in the content to begin with.

4) Practice Exam Scores (7 Total)

EK 4 MCAT (11/13)
-Score: 61% Overall
- Chem/Phys - 126-127 - 62%
- CARS - 124 - 53%
- Bio -128 - 70%
- P&S - 34/59 - (125-126) - 58%
- Total Converted: 503 (502-505)
- Approximate Old Score: (26-28)

TPR Free Full Length (12/11)
-Score: 67% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:13) - 123 - 49%
- CARS (00:16) - 127 - 79%
- Bio (00:12) - 124 - 58%
- P&S (00:37) - 128 - 83%
- Total: 502 (57th %ile)

GS-3 (12/16)
-Score: 63% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:05) - 125 (123-127) - 64%
- CARS (00:10) - 125 (123-127) - 72%
- Bio (00:12) - 125 (123-127) - 68%
- P&S (00:30) - 122 (120-124) - 51%
- Total: 497 (489-505)

NS-1 (12/20)
-Score: 75% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:02) - 126 - 57%
- CARS (00:13) - 129 - 88%
- Bio (00:07) - 129 - 81%
- P&S (00:33) - 128 - 74%
- Total: 512 (87th %ile)

NS-2 (12/30) - Few Hours Gap Between Chem/Phys & Rest of Exam
-Score: 73% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:01) - 128 - 70%
- CARS (00:13) - 127 - 79%
- Bio (00:10) - 128 - 78%
- P&S (00:37) - 127 - 68%
- Total: 510 (83rd %ile)

AAMC Practice Exam #1 (1/5)
-Score: 87% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:03) - 128 - 83%
- CARS (00:05) - 130 - 91%
- Bio (00:25) - 131 - 93%
- P&S (00:27) - 127 - 80%
- Total: 516 (95th %ile)

AAMC Practice Exam #2 (1/15)
-Score: 84% Overall
- Chem/Phys (00:02) - 129 - 83%
- CARS (00:05) - 128 - 85%
- Bio (00:15) - 129 - 86%
- P&S (00:20) - 127 - 81%
- Total: 513 (90th %ile)

5) What was your undergraduate major? --> Biology, Drexel University

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? --> Just know that on that day it is just one test containing one of many possible combinations of information. Be confident in your ability but don't get cocky. Trust the practice scores.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? --> ~55 days for a total of ~150hrs (Christmas Break)