518 MCAT 3.51 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.51 cGPA and a 3.40 sGPA. (Top 25 school, private)
MCAT 518

Research
-1 summer of clinical research which included 300+hours shadowing Working on getting Published this summer
-1.5 yrs of working in basic science genetics lab
Volunteer/Clinical
-2yrs of working municipal volunteer EMS (Crew chief/driver)
-3yrs collegiate EMS
-Elected Captain of my EMS organization
Shadowing
-1 summer of shadowing neurologist (100 hours)
-Shadowing at Active Duty Army Hospital
-TBI Intern at Army Hospital
EC's
-Biochem for Nursing Students Teaching Assistant
-Red Cross CPR Instructor
-Director of Fundraising-Two years of working with Global Medical Brigades doing rural medical service trips
-Co-President of Pre-Medical Society
-Co-Captain/Co-Founder Club Soccer Team
-Pre-Med mentor/Peer adviser (1yr)
-Director of Technology Health Science Journal

I'd like to apply to:

Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Cooper
NYU
Icahn (Mt. Sinai)
UPENN (Super Reach I realize, but dream school)
Georgetown
GW
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State
Tulane
Emory
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
EVMS
UVA
VTU
Wake Forest
UPitt
Creighton

Any edits to school list and do you think my high MCAT still leaves me ineligible to apply for UPENN, and NYU, Columbia etc... due to lower GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a NJ resident? If so the NJ schools are where your best chances are. NYU, Columbia, Cornell and Penn are all reaches with your GPA. The remainder of your list are reasonable choices and you should receive several interviews overall.

Yup, I'm an NJ Resident. I'm glad to hear that you think I still have a shot at interviews at my other schools. Definitely aware that the other 4-5 are high reaches. Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add SUNY Downstate Stony Brook and Einstein
You arent a high yield candidate for the top 20's Drexel Gtown GW or Penn St.
You need several more schools that specifically target people with stats in your range(ie not the types I mentioned above)
For that I'd go through MSAR and look at schools that get <11k apps are OOS friendly and have an MCAT median around roughly 33-35(ie Miami Cincy Ohio St etc).
I would personally swap in about half a dozen of these for the lower yield schools
I think those swaps and the New York schools will give you a good list.

Last edited:
I would add SUNY Downstate Stony Brook and Einstein
You arent a high yield candidate for the top 20's Drexel Gtown GW or Penn St.
You need several more schools that specifically target people with stats in your range(ie not the types I mentioned above)
For that I'd go through MSAR and look at schools that get <11k apps are OOS friendly and have an MCAT median around roughly 33-35(ie Miami Cincy Ohio St etc).
I would personally swap in about half a dozen of these for the lower yield schools
I think those swaps and the New York schools will give you a good list.
I actually do have Einstein and Miami but forgot to put it on this list. And I felt like SUNY downstate and Stony Brook were a bit too expensive OOS. Thanks for the advice!