MD 522 MCAT, 3.41 sGPA, 3.46cGPA (4th yr 3.7, grad 4.0), PhD - thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearintraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess I'm curious to find out what people think are my chances, and thoughts on which schools to aim for. My stats are as follows:

522 MCAT : 132/130/132/128 (prev. MCAT 33 in 2011)
My cGPA is 3.46, sGPA 3.41, gradGPA 4.0, with a PhD in Medical Genetics. I have been a postdoctoral fellow for 2 years, currently at a well-known non-profit institute.

My clinical activities are weak. I'm currently shadowing a surgeon (~15 hrs so far). I have >1 US patent, I have >5 publications (2 first author). I have excellent reference letters (as far as I know). Various ECs, but mostly in the academic realm (teaching, committees, presentations), with a couple exclusively non-academic volunteer activities. Several awards/scholarships.

Note that I am Canadian but work/reside in the US.

Also, I am LGBT. I am not sure whether I should or shouldn't mention this in secondaries (aim to complete them all this weekend; I did not mention this in the AMCAS Personal Statement).

Thoughts on the above greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

OMGisdead!

Where are the 95% of MCAT takers who did NOT score 518+???

Reactions: 1 user
Oh might add: In the 2012/2013 cycle (last time I applied), I was waitedlisted at SLU and Mount Sinai

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh might add: In the 2012/2013 cycle (last time I applied), I was waitedlisted at SLU and Mount Sinai

If you can walk and chew gum I am going on record predicting a better fate for you this time (unless you are completely stumped on the why not more clinical interview questions).

If you can walk and chew gum I am going on record predicting a better fate for you this time (unless you are completely stumped on the why not more clinical interview questions).

Part of the thing with clinical is that in Canada, which is where most of my experience is from, it's fairly frowned-upon to have pre-medical students involved or near patients. Not the best rationale, but it is true.

This is also a great example of my new MCAT breakdown question in another thread. This score looks like a ~42/43 on the old MCAT.

This is also a great example of my new MCAT breakdown question in another thread. This score looks like a ~42/43 on the old MCAT.

Surprised to hear that -- I thought given the percentile scores (522 is 99th), that it would close to a 38 (which is 99th on the old exam) ?

Surprised to hear that -- I thought given the percentile scores (522 is 99th), that it would close to a 38 (which is 99th on the old exam) ?

Yes, but I'm referencing the first 3 scores on your new one which matches the old test. The psych/soc drops you to the 38.

You do realize that no one is going to do this?

Well, I have been trying to get an answer on that. Thanks for clarifying. Are you definitely saying no one will notice the increase in those first scores on the new test vis-a-vis his scores for the same categories on his first attempt? And that psych/soc will be weighted entirely equally?

Well, I have been trying to get an answer on that. Thanks for clarifying. Are you definitely saying no one will notice the increase in those first scores on the new test vis-a-vis his scores for the same categories on his first attempt? And that psych/soc will be weighted entirely equally?
Pretty much.
The new test will be taken as a whole.
Any comparisons will be made between the total percentages scored.
Nobody can make a case for the reliability of dissecting out the "hard" sciences.

Gyngyn: I think you may have removed this because I don't see the post right now..but, no I am not PR

Pretty much.
The new test will be taken as a whole.
Any comparisons will be made between the total percentages scored.
Nobody can make a case for the reliability of dissecting out the "hard" sciences.

Sorry, but let me just make sure by converting to numbers that are more ingrained.

You're not going to look differently at a 15/13/15/10 than a 13/12/13/15?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gyngyn: I think you may have removed this because I don't see the post right now..but, no I am not PR
There are 62 MD schools that accept applications from international students.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated less than 3 (or 4?).
Apply to the rest and hope for the best.

Sorry, but let me just make sure by converting to numbers that are more ingrained.

We are not going to look at them this way.
We are going to look at the total percentage when comparing old and new MCAT's.

There are 62 MD schools that accept applications from international students.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated less than 3 (or 4?).
Apply to the rest and hope for the best.

Thank you - that's basically what I've tried to do thus far.. many of the international schools are top tier though. I did receive secondaries from Emory and Mayo, and still waiting to see about UCSF and Stanford. I believe those are the only 4 I have that screen.

Thank you - that's basically what I've tried to do thus far.. many of the international schools are top tier though. I did receive secondaries from Emory and Mayo, and still waiting to see about UCSF and Stanford. I believe those are the only 4 I have that screen.
Exactly. Tough business, this.

We are not going to look at them this way.
We are going to look at the total percentage when comparing old and new MCAT's.

Why? You aren't going to notice perfect scores on sub-categories or consider where applicants earned their highest scores in the distribution?

Why? You aren't going to notice perfect scores on sub-categories or consider where applicants earned their highest scores in the distribution?
We are not going to compare subsections between the old and new tests.

We are not going to compare subsections between the old and new tests.

Are you going to compare subsections between new tests and new tests (both between candidates and with re-takes for an individual candidate)? And if not, why even have a scoring system that has subsection scores?

Are you going to compare subsections between new tests and new tests (both between candidates and with re-takes for an individual candidate)? And if not, why even have a scoring system that has subsection scores?
Individual evaluators may have a fondness for a particular subscore but reliable comparisons can only be made on one version of the test (especially when subscores test different content from the old test).

Last edited by a moderator:
Individual evaluators may have a fondness for a particular subscore but reliable comparisons can only be made on one version of the test (especially when subscores test different content from the old test).

No, forget the old test for a moment. I said new to new, both between candidates and with new to new re-takes.

No, forget the old test for a moment. I said new to new, both between candidates and with new to new re-takes.
Those who have chosen to re-take the new test have been an unusual sub-set of the pool.
Many of them re-took the test before their original scores could have been available (to them).
This alone, is enough to make them outliers.

If you've improved your application since your last cycle (where you were waitlisted at 2 schools), then you should be good to go. Feinberg likes LGBT, so look into them. NYU takes a good amount of internationals as well. Just apply broadly to schools that take internationals.

Those who have chosen to re-take the new test have been an unusual sub-set of the pool.
Many of them re-took the test before their original scores could have been available (to them).

I guess you just don't like the question or the topic (or perhaps the poster), as I clarified x2 and certainly wasn't referencing the sub-group of those re-taking without knowing their scores. Not remotely close to what I wsa asking, although I do fully agree with you that a re-take without knowing one's score is very foolish (and I'm not 100% we ever got verification that this happened with that one poster).

I guess you just don't like the question or the topic (or perhaps the poster), as I clarified x2 and certainly wasn't referencing the sub-group of those re-taking without knowing their scores. Not remotely close to what I wsa asking, although I do fully agree with you that a re-take without knowing one's score is very foolish (and I'm not 100% we ever got verification that this happened with that one poster).
I was responding to the question re new to new retakes.

We will continue to evaluate candidates in our ususal idiosyncratic ways, mostly a gestalt with regard to minor differences in subscores.

If you've improved your application since your last cycle (where you were waitlisted at 2 schools), then you should be good to go. Feinberg likes LGBT, so look into them. NYU takes a good amount of internationals as well. Just apply broadly to schools that take internationals.

Odd - the MSAR stats says that NYU hasn't interview or had international applications and it also doesn't show up when you search for schools that accept them?

So is it safe to assume that people would recommend I mention my LGBT status in secondaries?

Odd - the MSAR stats says that NYU hasn't interview or had international applications and it also doesn't show up when you search for schools that accept them?

So is it safe to assume that people would recommend I mention my LGBT status in secondaries?

MSAR data is a bit outdated by about 1 yr; it is for the entering class of 2014. I have on good authority that NYU has 5+ internationals in the most recent entering class. MSAR also says that NYU's class size is ~160, but for the class of 2019 it is down to ~130.

This is minutiae. I'll pay careful attention to the Bio score, and VR IF the candidate is a native English speaker. We never cared if someone had a 10/13/10 vas a 13/10/10 on the old test. A 33 is a 33 is a 33.

I can't speak for NYU, but my own feeling is that unless you have a dog in the fight by being an activist or having working with LGBT patients, that being LGBT in and of itself is no longer the "bringer of diversity" you think it might be...and my school is VERY protective and welcoming of our gay students! This might be a West of the Missouri River thing, given our access to CA applicants.

It might be worthwhile if you can mention it as a means of your display of resilience....for example, having to come out to a family of religious conservatives, or growing up in a rural environment. One of my gay students, now in practice, grew up in rural Alabama. When he told me this, my first comment to him was "I'll bet THAT was a picnic!"....and it sure wasn't...half of his family disowned him.

Hey gyngyn,

Would retaking the new mcat in june after taking it april fit this category then? (There was a five day difference I believe from getting official scores and the
june test date, but you were able to guess scores from preliminaries a month prior) Or is only those that retook it in May?

Hey gyngyn,

Would retaking the new mcat in june after taking it april fit this category then? (There was a five day difference I believe from getting official scores and the
june test date, but you were able to guess scores from preliminaries a month prior) Or is only those that retook it in May?
This quick retake (even if scores are available) would make one question judgement.
Delaying the first test or voiding it would have better options.

This quick retake (even if scores are available) would make one question judgement.
Delaying the first test or voiding it would have better options.
I see, now I do not say this to argue, but just to further understand, if we retook because we saw on our preliminary that our verbal was not representative of practice tests (on the real test did not feel it was that hard) then retook it June, would this be more understandable? How negatively are retakes in a short time looked upon?

EDIT: I'm not worried as what is done is done, just interested in how the scores will be viewed

I see, now I do not say this to argue, but just to further understand, if we retook because we saw on our preliminary that our verbal was not representative of practice tests (on the real test did not feel it was that hard) then retook it June, would this be more understandable? How negatively are retakes in a short time looked upon?

EDIT: I'm not worried as what is done is done, just interested in how the scores will be viewed
There are always schools happy to overlook these things (as long as everything else is in order).

Reactions: 1 users
This is minutiae. I'll pay careful attention to the Bio score, and VR IF the candidate is a native English speaker. We never cared if someone had a 10/13/10 vas a 13/10/10 on the old test. A 33 is a 33 is a 33.

I can't speak for NYU, but my own feeling is that unless you have a dog in the fight by being an activist or having working with LGBT patients, that being LGBT in and of itself is no longer the "bringer of diversity" you think it might be...and my school is VERY protective and welcoming of our gay students! This might be a West of the Missouri River thing, given our access to CA applicants.

It might be worthwhile if you can mention it as a means of your display of resilience....for example, having to come out to a family of religious conservatives, or growing up in a rural environment. One of my gay students, now in practice, grew up in rural Alabama. When he told me this, my first comment to him was "I'll bet THAT was a picnic!"....and it sure wasn't...half of his family disowned him.

1). Interesting comment. How would you view VR for someone who grew up in a household where English was not their primary language, yet they are still fluent? Why (only) Biol?

2). I agree. It was part of my rationale for leaving it out my primary as I don't want to see it as a pity point, but rather as this is how I became to be.

@steelersfan1243 I admit finding this stuff very confusing. Seems like there are cases where a re-take would be showing good judgment, especially if the result works out favorably. I've heard of many test-takers being very unsure how they did, up or down, and voiding wouldn't always be a clear-cut choice. Then we'll have people voiding 516s because they think they bombed something and will get a 506. There would seem to be a bit of uncertainty built into the whole deal. Similarly, it's hard to know you were premature in taking the test in the first place until you find out. Those who score well the first time obviously get credited, but many of them didn't know either until they took it and got their scores. Also, in theory at least one could study 5-8 straight weeks between tests, added on to the initial 3-5 months they already studied. If the person was close to where he or she needed to be, and the person has time for multiple weeks of dedicated studying, then waiting an entire cycle doesn't necessarily make sense to me.

@steelersfan1243 I admit finding this stuff very confusing. Seems like there are cases where a re-take would be showing good judgment, especially if the result works out favorably. I've heard of many test-takers being very unsure how they did, up or down, and voiding wouldn't always be a clear-cut choice. Then we'll have people voiding 516s because they think they bombed something and will get a 506. There would seem to be a bit of uncertainty built into the whole deal. Similarly, it's hard to know you were premature in taking the test in the first place until you find out. Those who score well the first time obviously get credited, but many of them didn't know either until they took it and got their scores. Also, in theory at least one could study 5-8 straight weeks between tests, added on to the initial 3-5 months they already studied. If the person was close to where he or she needed to be, and the person has time for multiple weeks of dedicated studying, then waiting an entire cycle doesn't necessarily make sense to me.
We only see the outcomes.

We have experience that even fluent English speakers who are 1st gen. Americans seem to have some VR deficits. I have no idea why this is so.

Medicine is Biology. 'nuff said.

1). Interesting comment. How would you view VR for someone who grew up in a household where English was not their primary language, yet they are still fluent? Why (only) Biol?