5th school and still an undergrad, do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predoc2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now attending my 5th school this spring semester.I won't be listing the actual names of my schools but referring to them by capital letters starting with A. What are my chances of taking the MCATS etc and getting into med school? I want to go to med school here in the US but am also looking at Canada and the UK

my credentials:

1 semester at Univ A: january 2008- May 2008
3 semesters at Univ B: Jan 2009- June 2010
6 semesters at Univ C: Aug 2010- May 2013
1 semester at Community College D: Aug 2013- Dec 2013 (buffer semester)
Present day: Getting ready to start my 1st semester at University E transferring
in with 90 credits hours. Most of these courses are general Ed requirements.

At Univ B and C I took some of my pre-med classes but they either
did not transfer to the next institution or I did not do well enough in them.

This semester I am scheduled to do a Preintro to Intro Chem class with lab and the intro
Biology classes with labs. I know that since I have already taken the pre-intro to chem class at previous institutions and one of the intro bio classes before that the scores from those classes will be averaged.

This institution is my final stop on the undergrad train and I am determined to focus and succeed so I can apply to medical school once I graduate from school. I have had personal issues that came up causing me to leave school B and go to school C, that were beyond human control. I am now able to focus fully on my studies and not get sidetracked by personal issues

I have not yet done any research or shadowing of doctors or in the medical field. I am looking at volunteering this semester at a local hospital or medical facility. I have been involved doing extracurriculars in regards sports clubs & pre-med group both on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

I am now attending my 5th school this spring semester.I won't be listing the actual names of my schools but referring to them by capital letters starting with A. What are my chances of taking the MCATS etc and getting into med school? I want to go to med school here in the US but am also looking at Canada and the UK

my credentials:

1 semester at Univ A: january 2008- May 2008
3 semesters at Univ B: Jan 2009- June 2010
6 semesters at Univ C: Aug 2010- May 2013
1 semester at Community College D: Aug 2013- Dec 2013 (buffer semester)
Present day: Getting ready to start my 1st semester at University E transferring
in with 90 credits hours. Most of these courses are general Ed requirements.

At Univ B and C I took some of my pre-med classes but they either
did not transfer to the next institution or I did not do well enough in them.

This semester I am scheduled to do a Preintro to Intro Chem class with lab and the intro
Biology classes with labs. I know that since I have already taken the pre-intro to chem class at previous institutions and one of the intro bio classes before that the scores from those classes will be averaged.

This institution is my final stop on the undergrad train and I am determined to focus and succeed so I can apply to medical school once I graduate from school. I have had personal issues that came up causing me to leave school B and go to school C, that were beyond human control. I am now able to focus fully on my studies and not get sidetracked by personal issues

I have not yet done any research or shadowing of doctors or in the medical field. I am looking at volunteering this semester at a local hospital or medical facility. I have been involved doing extracurriculars in regards sports clubs & pre-med group both on campus.
When you apply to US MD schools, the grade of every class you've attempted will be included in your application GPA, regardless of whether the grades have transferred from one school to another. It would help if you could figure out your cGPA and your BCPM GPA (all science and math grades).

If you apply to DO med schools, only the most recent grade for each class will count if you retake the low ones, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. You might figure that number out as well.

Attending multiple institutions is no bar to med school consideration, but the grades you've earned, if low, will need to be redeemed in some way.