5yr MD/MPH or fellowship MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nairopil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start med school this fall, and my school has a 5 year MD/MPH program. I'm planning to do a residency in Emergency Medicine and work in global health, and I have thought about doing some sort of global health fellowship that includes an MPH. Does it make sense to do the MPH during or after med school?

Pros of 5yr MD/MPH:
Don't need further training after residency
Possible advantage during residency application
Makes med school easier by breaking it up
Delay "MD salary" by 1 year vs 2
Might be less competitive to get into than a fellowship?

Pros of Global Health fellowship:
Training more specific to my goals
Compensation during training
Doesn't elongate MD (more of a psychological advantage)

What are others pros/cons of doing it during med school vs. doing a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

As a MD, you don't learn your skills through MPH. Instead, you learn the skills yourself, and then these skills are further sharpened by MPH curriculum. I would suggest residency first. This way, you know what you need better, and can take more advantages from a MPH program!

Another thing to consider is that the 5-year MD/MPH program will incur further costs, as MPH programs can be anywhere from $25,000 to $80,000 in tuition alone. From reading some of the specialty forums (what? I like to browse) many residency and fellowship programs will fully fund an MPH, especially ones that require it. May be worth looking into.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just my 2 cents, but I hope you'll take some consideration since I went through the same debate and have been through the experience of deciding on what kind of career to pursue within medicine. I ended up doing my MPH during residency.

I would suggest not doing a combined MD/MPH program unless you think you might go for a very competitive specialty (but even then there are probably better ways to be a competitive applicant). MPH degrees, in the US at least, are too expensive to be worth it when funding opportunities are so limited. However, when you are a resident/fellow a lot of funding opportunities open up. As a resident I obtained full external funding with stipend, and my peers who weren't funded had opportunities to moonlight in clinical practice during their MPH which helped them keep their skills up and make decent money.

Pros of 5yr MD/MPH:
Don't need further training after residency
Possible advantage during residency application
Makes med school easier by breaking it up
Delay "MD salary" by 1 year vs 2
Might be less competitive to get into than a fellowship?

-Yes, you don't need further training after residency, but it doesn't actually shorten your training (unless the fellowship is longer) so you won't be done any faster. This means you delay your staff salary by the same amount, but take a big hit on tuition plus any interest that might accrue if you're doing this on loans.
-I actually view breaking up med school as a significant con. Your skills drop surprisingly quickly, and you want to be as strong as possible right before you apply for residency. In general I've heard that the more training you've had in your specific field, the easier it is to pick up again because the scope is something you're familiar with.
-I suppose specific fellowships might be competitive, but hypothetically if you're willing to take an unpaid year off of training as a resident/fellow to do an MPH, you'll be in the same position as doing a combined MD/MPH financially, without the additional interest, and also not be behind in years in training.
-Also note: it becomes quite a lot easier to get into top MPH programs when you have an MD. Perhaps a bit unfair to other MPH applicants since MDs aren't by definition more experienced or have more potential in public health, but that's just how it works out.
-In my experience, the majority of medical students are too early in their training to take full advantage of an MPH education, and spending 1-2 years dedicated to learning is not a small investment. There are so many factors that you can't predict, which can be simply discovering something other than global health that you want to dedicate your career to (which is perfectly fine even on this forum!), deciding on another specialty that might not mesh as well with public health (e.g. you might do emerg and realize shift work is not what you're looking for after all), or perhaps meeting a partner that has an inflexible career limiting your own career options if you want to stay together... my point is that a lot can change. As a fellow, hopefully more of these will have figured themselves out.

One pro that I don't think you have for doing a combined MD/MPH: if you're going to specialize in research methodology/epidemiology/biostats, getting these skills early is really useful since you'll be publishing more, earlier, and of better quality. Never a bad thing for your career.

Also, things change if you can find funding for the MPH during med school. Then it might be worth it.

Good luck, and don't underestimate how much your life plans can change within just a few short years of med school -- I see it happen all the time! And, of course, congratulations on your acceptance to join our profession this year. Some of the hardest but most rewarding years await you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the advice! Looks like the school I'll be attending does offer some funding for the MPH track, but it's not clear to me if that covers full tuition for the MPH or not. I've also done a lot more research into the program, and I just don't feel it's the best fit for me (no global health or international health track or courses). I don't want to do the program just to get the degree, when there are so many great programs out there that really relate to my goals.
Some of you mentioned doing an MPH during residency...do you take a year out of residency, or just do it on top of your residency? Are there residency programs that incorporate an MPH?

I really like your attitude of not doing the program just to get the degree; it's important to know what skills you're trying to get out of a program and finding somewhere that will facilitate that learning.

Some of you mentioned doing an MPH during residency...do you take a year out of residency, or just do it on top of your residency? Are there residency programs that incorporate an MPH?

Off the top of my head, the only ones that definitely (well, almost; there are very rare exceptions) include an MPH as a year of training are preventive medicine and occupational medicine. Otherwise it's probably more residency-specific or perhaps even location-specific as to the options you'll have. I know several specialties include mandatory/elective academic time where residents can group it all into one year to pursue a graduate degree (I've met plenty going for an MPH, MSc, MEd, MBA, or even start a PhD). I assume the US has similar options, or wherever you're from, but it might require some negotiation with your program director.

There are several fellowship programs (e.g. research ["clinician investigator"], health policy/management, global health as you said, etc.) where you can extend your training and incorporate the MPH. Or if you apply and get a full scholarship, then taking a year out of residency equates to about the same with less strings attached but perhaps fewer extracurricular training opportunities/networking.

Of course, fellowships aren't infinite and there are residents I've met who couldn't obtain funding, but since almost all physicians are guaranteed a very good income when staff, it might be worth taking on extra debt by then. This would likely mean training on your own time as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Kaiser Permanente's residency programs in pediatrics and OB/GYN are an extra year, incorporating an MPH. In this case, the MPH is mandatory.

Reactions: 1 user