6 yr OS programs in New York City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1-16-17-32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to deciding on how to rank various oral surgery programs. Does anyone have any knowledge of these programs. Which ones are considered better programs in general? Does anyone know if the residents in any of these programs are unhappy?

I am specifically looking at NYU, Cornel, Columbia, and Kings County

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

kings county?
oh my...
i hear that place is scary...
not the program, i mean the area there is really ghetto, broken glasses everywhere on the ground, drunks and homeless roaming the street...
heard about it from me classmates who went there for externship and rotation.

1-16... i think all the programs you have listed are really great. How come Mt. siani is not on the list? That is a really nice program too. Go where the housing is good and the "fringe" benifits are great coz living in the city can get pretty expensive... other than that i dont know what to tell you, academically speaking NYU, Cornell, Columbia and Sinai are all really great

Members don't see this ad :)
1-16-17-32 said:
I am trying to deciding on how to rank various oral surgery programs. Does anyone have any knowledge of these programs. Which ones are considered better programs in general? Does anyone know if the residents in any of these programs are unhappy?

I am specifically looking at NYU, Cornel, Columbia, and Kings County

Thanks for any help!

NYU
-Very busy. Good scope of training. Can get a little hectic. Very expensive med school.

Cornell
-Countryclub program. Not overly busy clinic. Limited scope. GREAT housing and location.

Columbia
-Busy clinic, great orthognathic training, weak trauma

Kings
-Trauma heavy!!! Limited private cases.

I would rank:
-Columbia...Cornell/NYU...Kings

I have been out of dental school for 12 years. I was wondering if i have any chances of getting into a OS program. What should i do to improve my chances. Which is the easiest program to get into.

You have not mentioned Jacobi/Beth Israel/A.Einstein
Trauma
Orthognathic
Private cases
Implants
need more?
oh, and housing

You have not mentioned Jacobi/Beth Israel/A.Einstein
Trauma
Orthognathic
Private cases
Implants
need more?
oh, and housing

a lot of people who only apply to 6 year programs WOULD want a lot more. I'm not super familiar with all the New York programs, but most only focus on limited trauma (mostly broken mandibles), implants, extractions and orthognathic like you've named, the big programs (parkland, LSU New Orleans and Shreveport, UAB) do all of that plus multiple pan-facial trauma cases, cancer, cosmetics/plastics, and cleft/cranio. It's also a lot easier to procure a fellowship at your home program so going to programs with good fellowships could also be very important to certain applicants.

I think some of the new york programs do a great job preparing a resident for a bread and butter "dental" practice, but why do a 6 year if you're not going to work outside the mouth? Total waste of thousands of dollars and 2 years of your life/income

And to @Tracaton of course you have a chance somewhere, but you're going to have to do some major research first...and by that I mean calling programs to see if they'd realistically consider a person in your position. There's no way to know which one is "the easiest", but you can bet a 6 year would be less likely to let in a non-traditional than 4 year. I'd start with that.

Reactions: 1 user