600k associateship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone was offered 600k to be a general dentist associate of a cosmetic dental clinic in Southern US. She came from an Ivy league dental school. How rare is this and what does one have to do to get similar offers?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! You have to be lucky for sure!

That story is so full of bull****.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone was offered 600k to be a general dentist associate of a cosmetic dental clinic in Southern US. She came from an Ivy league dental school. How rare is this and what does one have to do to get similar offers?
Recently, if you post anything about a dentist making anything over 200k on here everyone thinks you're crazy. My dad's job puts him in a position to know the salary of dentists in the area and he has told me that 400k my first year out is definitely possible. Now 600k, if she is working 7-5 5 days a week and some on Saturdays that it might be possible.
However, I garauntee you she's not working in a glamorous location, I bet the only thing to do there on Friday night is go to a HS football game. It's all a out location and with the proper amount of research you could find a place like this, just be ready to be extremely bored after work. I will give you a tip on finding these locations, seeing as I've lived in one for 20 years I know a little bit about it. Get a map, look for a big city west of the Mississippi, now move your finger to somewhere about 3-4 hours drive away from that big city and make sure there and no other big cities near it. If you see anything that might be an attraction (lakes, oceans, mountains) then You're gunna have to restart. Once you land on a place where there is literally nothing within a 3 hour drive in either direction (we call this BFE where I'm from), then congratulations, I'm 99% sure you just found and extremely under served area and will make great money there.
Remind you I'm just a pre dent but I get my information from a much better source. Now excuse me while I go get my helmet, people on here don't take kindly to someone who says you can make a large salary your first year out.

Reactions: 3 users
Recently, if you post anything about a dentist making anything over 200k on here everyone thinks you're crazy. My dad's job puts him in a position to know the salary of dentists in the area and he has told me that 400k my first year out is definitely possible. Now 600k, if she is working 7-5 5 days a week and some on Saturdays that it might be possible.
However, I garauntee you she's not working in a glamorous location, I bet the only thing to do there on Friday night is go to a HS football game. It's all a out location and with the proper amount of research you could find a place like this, just be ready to be extremely bored after work. I will give you a tip on finding these locations, seeing as I've lived in one for 20 years I know a little bit about it. Get a map, look for a big city west of the Mississippi, now move your finger to somewhere about 3-4 hours drive away from that big city and make sure there and no other big cities near it. If you see anything that might be an attraction (lakes, oceans, mountains) then You're gunna have to restart. Once you land on a place where there is literally nothing within a 3 hour drive in either direction (we call this BFE where I'm from), then congratulations, I'm 99% sure you just found and extremely under served area and will make great money there.
Remind you I'm just a pre dent but I get my information from a much better source. Now excuse me while I go get my helmet, people on here don't take kindly to someone who says you can make a large salary your first year out.
Hey man. Give me the town list where you can make that much and I'll be eternally grateful. I'll even through 10k bonus the first year practicing. ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad that you have a good father, but he is trying to hype you up. $>200k is possible, but it's not likely.

My father is also a dentist in a rural area, I have a firm grasp on salaries in later careers. I also know a few recent pedo grads, and they are all reporting salaries of ~$150. They are in non-major cities in Texas.

Last edited:
In Alaska they often offer between 175k - 225k starting. I just looked up private practice jobs and corporations. Didn't see anything higher than those numbers in all Alaska.. It's hard to believe that someone would start at 400k. Even after the percentage and bonus. And as someone said above, it could be possible but not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine is a dentist that has multiple associates and hygienists and doesn't even pull near 600k after expenses.

I'm glad that you have a good father, but he is trying to hype you up. $>200k is possible, but it's not likely.

My father is also a dentist in a rural area, I have a firm grasp on salaries in later careers. I also know a few recent pedo grads, and they are all reporting salaries of ~$150. They are in non-major cities in Texas.
My Dad isn't a dentist, but anyways, he's paying for my dental school education and allowing me to pay him back over time so he puts his money where his mouth is. I completely agree with you that it is extremely rare. Probobly only about .5% of starting dentists get these jobs.

A good friend of mine is a dentist that has multiple associates and hygienists and doesn't even pull near 600k after expenses.
But anyways, the original post was just to say that I could maybe see her making near ($200k less) that amount if she works 50+ hours a week , in a great location and comes out with some major juevos ready to do any and all procedures

But anyways, the original post was just to say that I could maybe see her making near ($200k less) that amount if she works 50+ hours a week , in a great location and comes out with some major juevos ready to do any and all procedures
400k is as "close" to 600k as it is to 200k, which is to say, it isn't at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, "near" wasn't the word to use, but nonetheless, she could have the potential of making a load of money if she played all her cards right

I can't help but wonder if the person two comments above me would've said that if it were a guy the OP was talking about. By playing her cards out right he more than likely meant working hard and being frugal.

Reactions: 4 users
Someone has to disagree with someone on sdn, because all of us know everything about dentistry in this world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is ample anecdotal evidence to suggest that the 0.5 mil salaries/associateships do exist. We can certainly argue that such income may be predicated on a pact with the devil, but that's another issue. What seems to be lacking is an understanding that, even for dentists, the income follows a Bell curve. Just as there are pre dents with gpa of 4.0 and dat scores of 30, so are incomes of 600K, however, they are neither the norm nor the mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
600k?!?! before she has graduated dental school?!?! My boss has told me stories of associates a couple of years ago in Texas that did 500-700k a year but it was always at a medicaid mill where they drilled into every tooth (in some cases they don't even do that) on every patient. I don't know how many insurance histories I have seen on my patients that show fillings on every tooth and none of them have ever been touched. Whatever, karma and what not.

As far as avg salary your first year... I would expect 100-150. However 200-300k is very doable but it requires working in a rural area where your schedule is booked or a very busy private office. I'm in that range but I also work 50-60 hour weeks so at the end of the day, my hourly pay probably comes out to the same.

Had you said 200k, 300k, or even 400k... I might have believed you. But 600k is simply not believable for an associate (one who is still in school in fact)... even for one that pushes the envelope falling on the ethical side. Now being an owner is a different story. And even many of those guys in the 7 figure range work in a very gray area.

My Dad isn't a dentist, but anyways, he's paying for my dental school education and allowing me to pay him back over time so he puts his money where his mouth is. I completely agree with you that it is extremely rare. Probobly only about .5% of starting dentists get these jobs.
.5% is still a big number! Try 0.005%

I got offered the same amount and I haven't even been accepted to dental school yet. Hell they told me I don't even have to go to dental school as long as I deliver a package to a specific location that will be revealed at a later time.

Reactions: 5 users
I know how much my dentists make and it's definitely jaw dropping. But right out of school for 600k? Me wanty.

If were still following this logic then I make "close" to 200k, and I'm not even a dentist. Heck, I don't even have a job.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess:

Top-Tier Dentist: I am looking for a new associate to eventually take over my practice and I want someone really great.
Ivy Professor: I have this student with hands you wouldn't believe.
Top-Tier Dentist: Send me his info.
Ivy Professor: Actually, it's a she...
Top-Tier Dentist: Oh, well send me HER info.
Ivy Professor: Will do.

Student: Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!