$80,000 to work in rural pharmacy MN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8turkeys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about people saying that there is a pharmacist surplus but I am not buying it. Sure it will be harder to find a job in heavily populated areas but rural areas are dying for pharmacists, so much so, that the State of MN has now increased the amount that it will pay someone to work in a rural pharmacy for 3 years from $60,000 to $80,000 this year.

Members don't see this ad.

$80k a year, or $80k signing bonus? The State of MN set the amount?

Is there not a surplus if it's hard to find a job in heavily populated areas, such that the only way to get a job is moving to the boonies?

Members don't see this ad :)
$80k a year, or $80k signing bonus? The State of MN set the amount?
I think OP means 80 k per year. It would be insane if that was signing bonus. And i think its bit low, my company just hired someone and offered 6 figures..

The state pays you 80k after your third year, and you make the salary of the job. It is to encourage pharmacists to work in a rural pharmacy.http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7035232 this article does not include the new figure but explains it very well

The midwest generally has better job prospects than coastal areas. Problem is nobody wants to live there as much of it is rural farmland. Hence the 80k bonus.

Nevermind, just talked to my pharmacist about it. Its 80 k bonus...