89% Chance of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bob Doe

The four yonko of medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at the MCAT\GPA grid for URM (black), I looked at my current stats 3.7 GPA, 30-33 MCAT and it says my chances of being accepted are 89% wow! Of course provided I have good EC'S, LOR, essay, and interview.

My questions are
1) should I be worried is 89% rather sufficient if I apply broadly?
2) should I bother doing more EC'S at this point I have the staples i.e clinical, research, tutoring, nonmedical volunteering.
3) I know little about statistics but can I trust this statistic. It may not be 100% accurate but it should be roughly accurate right? Variables aside lol

Here it is black\African American
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply broadly and stop being neurotic. AAMC doesn't post lies in their statistics.

Reactions: 4 users
You're solid. I'd be surprised if you don't get a full tuition scholarship somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 89% is also skewed because of the HBCs. However, URMs still have a significant advantage at other schools. Other than that, just pretend the statistical advantage isn't there and continue to keep up the good work.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention I'm hoping for upper tiers from my own state NY

The 89% is also skewed because of the HBCs. However, URMs still have a significant advantage at other schools. Other than that, just pretend the statistical advantage isn't there and continue to keep up the good work.

100%. If I get too excited I may grow lazy and complacent. I plan on boosting my chances to 93% by scoring higher on MCAT'S and boosting my GPA.

Sounds like you're on the inside track to Harvard

Reactions: 1 users
@Harvard acceptance

:heckyeah:

Lol. You're exaggerating right? Don't joke about something like this

:heckyeah:

Lol. You're exaggerating right? Don't joke about something like this

When I applied to medical school, I went on 11 interviews. Among all those interviews, which probably included like 150 fellow applicants, I saw exactly 2 black applicants (and I'm pretty sure they were both African). Black applicants to medical school are rare. Black applicants with 3.7+ 30+ are super rare. Harvard is probably an exaggeration lol, but you will probably get a few interviews assuming everything else is in order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I don't need or want Harvard I just want U.S ALLO.

Members don't see this ad :)
100%. If I get too excited I may grow lazy and complacent. I plan on boosting my chances to 93% by scoring higher on MCAT'S and boosting my GPA.

Dont retake a 30+ MCAT score

Reactions: 2 users
When I applied to medical school, I went on 11 interviews. Among all those interviews, which probably included like 150 fellow applicants, I saw exactly 2 black applicants. Black applicants to medical school are rare. Black applicants with 3.7+ 30+ are super rare. Harvard is probably an exaggeration lol, but you will probably get a few interviews assuming everything else is in order.

Although this apparently works out to my advantage it's pretty sad. I wonder why is that?

The class valedictorian at my high school which was all black got into Harvard med after going to Harvard undergrad! Albeit he had a 38 MCAT and 3.9 GPA from HARVARD. He didn't need to pull the URM card. What do you all think of this?

***black power****** all day............

The class valedictorian at my high school which was all black got into Harvard med after going to Harvard undergrad! Albeit he had a 38 MCAT and 3.9 GPA from HARVARD. He didn't need to pull the URM card. What do you all think of this?

This won't end well....

Personally I think fewer URM's push themselves to their max potential because they know they don't need to. If I knew I only needed a 32 MCAT to get into a good medical school, I definitely would've stopped there instead of pushing myself to get a 35+. Not hating, just giving a possible explanation.

You had to go there this thread will be a war zone now

Reactions: 5 users
You had to go there this thread will be a war zone now

Whoops. Sorry. I had a feeling this may happen but hopefully people stay focused on the original questions asked.
But congrats to my boy from Harvard for getting into Harvard med. Just felt the need to exclaim it to the whole world lol. My bad.

It's not an 89% chance of being accepted. It means that 89% of people with statistics within that range got into at least one medical school.

Whoops. Sorry. I had a feeling this may happen but hopefully people stay focused on the original questions asked.
But congrats to my boy from Harvard for getting into Harvard med. Just felt the need to exclaim it to the whole world lol. My bad.

Yes its great to hear a fellow black brother defying all odds and making it in to a great school like Harvard Med. But, try to understand SDN can sometimes be a hateful place and posters look for any excuse to down URM efforts. You have great stats and I wish you luck on your journey to become a doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like your a sure in depending on your MCAT, on the cusp of of a great NY med school with a above average MCAT and strong ECs. Make sure to network, go to the open houses, be seen, introduce yourself to the dean. Let them know your are hungry, and a hard worker.

Your in a great state for medical school and it plays to your advantage

Sounds like your a sure in depending on your MCAT, on the cusp of of a great NY med school with a above average MCAT and strong ECs. Make sure to network, go to the open houses, be seen, introduce yourself to the dean. Let them know your are hungry, and a hard worker.

Your in a great state for medical school and it plays to your advantage

How so?

Check MSAR, lots of in-state public schools, the more schools you apply to that accept large numbers of in-state applicants the better your chances. My MSAR is over due, can't give you specific matriculant stats.

https://services.aamc.org/30/msar/home

I think he deserved his spot and you're right about him not needing to pull his URM card

Reactions: 3 users