9/17 DAT Done!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mss255

Grand Master Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, I just took the DATs yesterday and I wanted to see what others in the group thought. As you'll see, I have a lot of variation with my scores - keep in mind I'm self taught in Organic Chem and Biology. Scores are...

PAT: 24
QR: 19
RC: 17
BIO: 17
GC: 29
OC: 15
TS: 18
AA: 19

This academic year, I'm taking biology and organic chem. As I'm a nontraditional candidate, I'm being aggressive and will apply for a Fall 2008 start. I graduated with an engineering degree in 2004 (3.8 gpa) and worked on the financial end of healthcare before switching gears to dentistry full-time this spring/summer.

What do people think? Am I nuts or what?

Also, I wanted to share my opinion of study materials. I used the Kaplan blue book as an outline, which I supplemented with Schaum's Outline for Biology, Organic Chem for Dummies, and subject specific textbooks (intro level). I also used MIT's online free lectures for additional instruction, exams, problem sets.

BIO - Like others on the message board, I was surprised with some of the questions asked. I felt I knew the Kaplan material inside and out, as well as more detail through my supplemental materials. Lesson learned is to spend more time outside of Kaplan's content. I tried this using the ADA's DAT Specifications outline, but apparently not very well.

Chem - Here I felt Kaplan did a sufficient job (I suppose my score indicates this as well). Regardless, I recommend supplemental materials/problem sets to ensure your understanding.

OChem - This section wasn't very nice. Going into the test, I felt okay about the area but quickly realized that I simply didn't have everything down that I needed. I felt the Kaplan testing materials were "easier" than the real test, but there were also other testing factors to take into consideration.

PAT - In addition to Kaplan, I used Baron's to get more practice sets. I felt the Barron's PATs were much more challenging than both the actual test and Kaplan practice sets.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice job on GC. Of the schools you are applying to, it'd be a good idea to ask them if your 15 in OC is beneath their cutoff. Must be tough absorbing that material by teaching yourself, but I don't think they'll take that into consideration.

No, you're not crazy about switching careers - they're plenty of us here who are doing the same. I'm working in investment banking right now, albeit only to save money for next year. Before this, I dug ditches on the side of I-87 for extra money while I was messing around. It's never too late to switch gears.

Hi all,

Well, I just took the DATs yesterday and I wanted to see what others in the group thought. As you'll see, I have a lot of variation with my scores - keep in mind I'm self taught in Organic Chem and Biology. Scores are...

PAT: 24
QR: 19
RC: 17
BIO: 17
GC: 29
OC: 15
TS: 18
AA: 19

This academic year, I'm taking biology and organic chem. As I'm a nontraditional candidate, I'm being aggressive and will apply for a Fall 2008 start. I graduated with an engineering degree in 2004 (3.8 gpa) and worked on the financial end of healthcare before switching gears to dentistry full-time this spring/summer.

What do people think? Am I nuts or what?

Also, I wanted to share my opinion of study materials. I used the Kaplan blue book as an outline, which I supplemented with Schaum's Outline for Biology, Organic Chem for Dummies, and subject specific textbooks (intro level). I also used MIT's online free lectures for additional instruction, exams, problem sets.

BIO - Like others on the message board, I was surprised with some of the questions asked. I felt I knew the Kaplan material inside and out, as well as more detail through my supplemental materials. Lesson learned is to spend more time outside of Kaplan's content. I tried this using the ADA's DAT Specifications outline, but apparently not very well.

Chem - Here I felt Kaplan did a sufficient job (I suppose my score indicates this as well). Regardless, I recommend supplemental materials/problem sets to ensure your understanding.

OChem - This section wasn't very nice. Going into the test, I felt okay about the area but quickly realized that I simply didn't have everything down that I needed. I felt the Kaplan testing materials were "easier" than the real test, but there were also other testing factors to take into consideration.

PAT - In addition to Kaplan, I used Baron's to get more practice sets. I felt the Barron's PATs were much more challenging than both the actual test and Kaplan practice sets.