9 on Verbal - no chance for MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would an applicant who took the MCAT once and got a 33 with a retake of 36 (14 PS/13 BS/ 09 VR) and a 3.75 GPA with good research (multiple pubs) have a decent shot at a good MD/PhD program or is the 9 in VR and the fact that they retook a deal breaker?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply before time. Invitations to interview are released on a rolling basis. Apply early in the cycle to give yourself the best chance.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, you should be fine. Remember the MCAT is just one piece of the application; your research LORs are much more important in getting programs to consider interviewing you. Your overall MCAT will at least get you looked at!

I know this is just my own anecdote, but I also applied with a 9 on VR and interviewed at most of the "top" MSTPs on the US News list (for what it's worth). I also didn't submit my application until July and wasn't complete until mid-August due to waiting on LORs. Still, it's a good idea to try to get in your application as early as possible!

Reactions: 1 user
Of course "on time" implies a timely application- I frequently post that mid-July is a good goal. Mid-July should be a personal deadline to have your AMCAS submitted in full & ideally already verified. I am not aware of an additional benefit to applying the first day/week the cycle opens.

Last edited: