9 verbal? what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tool_fan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ideas..

Members don't see this ad.

your kidding right

Originally posted by Tool_fan:
•Thank you very much..and yes im one of those neurotic juniors already worried about the application process.•••

Well, with a 3.9 and a 33, you pretty much pegged yourself with this sentence.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have worries many people dream of having ...

In the chance you are actually serious, you will be fine. It shouldn't really be an issue, as long as you are coherent and your essay is alright and you didn't blow your writing sample (like I mean getting a K).

Sheesh... 33 and a 3.9 and worried...

Simul

You either haven't been looking at enough posts in these forums or your idea of holiday cheer is making other people, that at this point are struggling with the interview/rejection process, feel inferior. I hope its the former. You have no worries.

A 9 may not be good enough to get you in to some top schools. Depends where you are aiming for. However, it's not just a numbers game.......there are dozens of people on this sight that will testify to this.....

Dude, a 9 is good. Look at the sheet of paper your mcat score came with saying the percent of people who achieved each score....9=good.
Sheesh.

For crying out loud! If you looking for someone to hold you and say "It's all gonna be just fine," you're gonna have to look elsewhere. Mom's just a phone call away. :rolleyes:

You would think that someone who made a 33 with a 3.9 is smart enough to know what a 9 means. No offense.

Uh, oh. It's DO for you. :eek: You'll do fine.

Pags I won't even comment on the slam to DOs. Your outdated mentality in regards to DOs means you seem to lack some knowledge about them-do some homework-their GPAs and MCATs may be a bit lower overall, not in all cases however, but they make quality physicians who care about their patients just as much, if not more than some MDs.

DOH...I went and commented on it anyways! Sincerely though pags I hope you were joking-you'll soon find out that the only people that truly care about the DO vs MD thing are we pre-med types. There are some differences as far as residencies go, but nothing insurmountable. Back to the topic............

Wow, I get 2 replies. It was a joke. I'm sure with a 9 verbal he'll find a nice warm island school to happily accept him. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 9 verbal, 33 overall and I've had more interviews than I ever imagined. Just make sure you really want to be a doctor before you apply. Make sure you've worked in clinics, research, et al, and know what you're getting into.

Good luck!

I also had a 33 total and 3.862 GPA from the University of Kentucky (somewhere between Harvard and, say, Lexington Community College in the grand scheme of things). This got me interviews everywhere I applied, in at Kentucky (where I currently toil), and wait-listed at Vanderbilt before finally being rejected in May. Those numbers are pretty close to yours and that's how it went for me. If that helps you any.

I like godfather's response, it's pretty funny and to the point. You'll be fine.

I got a 9 verbal and 33 overall. I've gotten interviews at both good and at what some would say are average or okay schools. No acceptances, but at that point I really think it comes down to you, not your scores. I was a little worried at first to, till my friend told me to shut up and retake the test so that when I get my score back and don't even get a 33 I will realize how good of a score it actually is. At no point did I ever doubt that I would really struggle in the application process because of my score though. Let's just say your MCATs won't keep you out of med school so just worry about doing all the other right things now.

I hope this will make you feel better :) I got a 7 verbal, 28 overall. Two interview so far, and I just got an acceptance from one of them. I agree with sundevil (who would have though! lol) that I think it comes down to the person rather than the scores. Good luck.

with a 3.9/33 you should KNOW you are fine in terms of numbers and that what matters is the time (and thought) you invest in your personal, vision and secondary essays. Then do NOT forget to take the time to do well for that last hurdle, the interview. Maybe I'm a little biased since that's the hurdle many of us are currently trying to overcome.

As for stories, dont know how many times I've posted this so far, but here goes again...

Good Jamaican friend of mine applied last year. He did minimal research, mentor programs to help fellow minority students get into college and played Div1 soccer his freshman year (broke his leg). He went to school with me, at U of South Florida and had 3.8 w/ Bio degree. He got accepted at EVERY place he interviewed...
The last line should be the most significant. He truly took the time to work on his interview skills, remained very humble throughout the process, despite getting interview invites to Stanford, Mayo, Harvard, UCSF, UCLA, Duke to name a few (turned down Yale) and knew why he wanted to do what he did. His MCAT? 31 with eight in verbal. If that doesn't bring your hopes up that magic can happen, then you are even more a 'neurotic junior' than I thought ;)

3.8 gpa; 9 verbal 33 overall MCAT as well (what a coincidence :) ). Anyway I've been accepted to Duke, Pritzker, and WashU MD/PhD programs. I have a Harvard interview in a couple of days. Numbers-wise you have that **** covered; tighten up the other aspects of your application. Good luck.

3.6 from U Maryland, 29 MCAT (on a retake) with 9 in VR. 7 interviews. Accepted (off waitlist) at Saint Louis University and Tufts. Currently attend Tufts and really like it here. I know many people would say that coming off the waitlist and going to a VERY expensive non-Ivy med school is less than impressive; but I'm still going to be a doctor, right? good luck to you.

thanks everyone for your advice. Im incredibly sorry if i came off as arrogant or pompous. I have heard that double digits is a good MCAT score to have in each section, especially in verbal where it supposedley counts the most. As for your Jamaican friend...is that counted as a URM?? Also, For the person with a 33 who got into Washu, Duke and Pritzker, what drug did you develop and for what disease? I think you had something fantastic to go with your app besides a 3.8 and a 33. Again I apologize for appearing condescending in any way. I usually post and talk over on the TPR board, and the "average poster" at TPR gets a 35 on his/her MCAT. They told me that a 9 verbal may delay secondaries or keep me out of a few schools. Thanks again for all your advice.

PS yes I am Tool_fan, i just changed my email and hence screename to Radiohead_fan...and yes, radiohead rocks!

Don't stress about the 9 in verbal.... I earned a 7 in verbal (31 total) and have had several interviews and a couple acceptances....

Jamaican can be a URM since on AMCAS the designation is black, not African-American. And Jamaicans generally came from Africa anyways, just a little earlier. Of course we all came from Africa at some point...

No offense, but I hear if you get a 9 in verbal, it indicates a strong weakness in communicative and evaluative skills. The consultant I spoke with, since I also got a 9 in verbal, says a post-bac experience is all that can save us. Dude, it stinks, I know, but there's little 35,000 dollars wont fix. See you next year at PostBac University!

no you wont get any where. take the mcat again. gpa is ok.

:)

People are going to get really sick of me posting about this, but it might help put your mind at rest, so here goes. . .

I took the MCAT this past April, and made the mistake of letting the preparation for the monster completely consume me, so that when I actually went into the testing center I was drained and not well focused. I lost track of time during the PS section, and as a result didn't even get to three passages. The outcome: 30S, breakdown V 11, PS 8, BS 11, S. I know, OUCH.

I still went ahead and applied with these scores, and much to my surprise, I've been accepted to UConn and NYU, and have been granted interviews at Yale, Columbia, Cornell, and Einstein. I feel very fortunate. But I think that it also goes to show that MCAT certainly isn't everything! Don't let one subscore deter you. In my case, I think that the other components of my application balanced out the mediocre MCAT -- I somehow managed a high GPA from a reputable school, and my EC's, honors & awards, and letters of rec are pretty strong. So as long as you have a strong application overall, a 9 in verbal shouldn't really hurt you, ESPECIALLY with a 33 composite!

Very best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do fine!

I have a 3.97 and a 33 with a 9 on verbal, and the only school that has rejected me without an interview is Georgetown. I also have a double major in Molec. Bio and Russian. I've had interview invitations from every other school I applied to including Harvard, Baylor, Pritzker, Wash U, etc. Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just apply to a variety of schools and interview at a lot of them. It's such an unpredictable process. I think that if it weren't for the 9, I would have been accepted earlier to some of the better medical schools. Right now I'm still waiting for word from them...but I haven't been rejected either.

Originally posted by radiohead_fan:
•thanks everyone for your advice. Im incredibly sorry if i came off as arrogant or pompous. I have heard that double digits is a good MCAT score to have in each section, especially in verbal where it supposedley counts the most. As for your Jamaican friend...is that counted as a URM?? Also, For the person with a 33 who got into Washu, Duke and Pritzker, what did you develop and for what disease? I think you had something fantastic to go with your app besides a 3.8 and a 33. Again I apologize for appearing condescending in any way. I usually post and talk over on the TPR board, and the "average poster" at TPR gets a 35 on his/her MCAT. They told me that a 9 verbal may delay secondaries or keep me out of a few schools. Thanks again for all your advice.•••

Hey don't worry too much about coming off as arrogant; your questions are very valid. I didn't develop any therapies. I guess what makes me atypical is the fact that I've completed the requirements for my Masters degree in Mathematics which I'll obtain in May 2002 for technical reasons. I guess I'll change my SDN signature to Original, M.S :D . I also have 2 years wet-bench neuroscience research experience; and I know "alot" about GABA transporters. My extracurriculars are to the ceiling as well. President of 3 clubs, International student mentor, Hospice care-giver, ER volunteer yada yada ya... I am extremely comfortable interviewing and am [yet to be rejected from any school where I've interviewed]--someone got really upset when I mentioned this on SDN prior to my WashU interview; so I'm putting it in square brackets to indicate that I'm only mentioning this so I can be of help to someone's application. I'm also an international student which is technically by far the MOST difficult group to get accepted; much more difficult than being an Asian male from Cali. But once you get to that interview, the top "rich" schools would grab you if they want you. No Problemo!

DocJ...horosho govorish po-russki? ;-)

OlympiaGold, I don't know what you're talking about but I got accepted with a 7 in verbal. I think it's more about strategy then communicative skills. These skills are assessed via the writing sample and the interview.

Aisha, I hope you're joking. I don't know where you got your information, but I'm not the only one with a low verbal score with an acceptance here. I don't think you should try crushing his hopes by saying, "no, you won't get in anywhere".

Joseph Reses:

Lusche vsex! ;) A ty otkuda russkiy znaesh?

Ya tolko govoru nemnogo....ya izuchal dva goda v schole!!

Joe

lighten up...but it's funny when people can't pick up on sarcasm.

My bad..hard to tell without the intonation of voice :) besides, I'm fairly new here and don't know the attitudes of those around me.

Meeen! you've probably been around the TPR board too long. We're much nicer here :)

Hey Original,

What's goin on bro? Ready for the HST interview?? So, you're in neurosci?? GABA receptors?? Nice. I'm in neuro too (well, neurodevelopment to be precise) -- not as sig/trans as I'm sure your work is. Nice to see a fellow neurosci guy around.

Hey ma men! I'm just going to go out there and try to have fun. I just threw my laundry in the washer a few minutes ago. I packed my luggage 2 weeks before my first interview and was really freaking out doing practice interviews (Very important for 1st interview) and the like; But now I pack my stuff 2hrs before my plane leaves the ground. Congrats on Mayo! When is it scheduled for?