A B first semester freshman year of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chem is super hard and I am hoping to GOD that I get a B in that class. I am also taking 12 units. However, I am getting an A in all my other classes. Having said that, I think this semester is going to be not the best in terms of GPA. Any tips?

This IS a sincere post, so please don't be sarcastic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the question here? All you've done is state your grades and ask for tips

Reactions: 2 users
The question is tips and/or insight to the situation

Members don't see this ad :)
Work hard, chill out, and stop worrying. Your grades will be fine. It will be OK.

Reactions: 1 user
Had Bs my first 2 semesters, hasn't stopped me. Chill out.

It's totally fine dude. Very few people make it out with 4.0's. Obviously try to make A's, but a B here and there won't ruin your application. :p

It's pretty much impossible to say; different classes have different difficulties at different schools.

But you should probably expect things to get more difficult as you continue on. The level of work I had to put in on junior- and senior-level coursework was much greater than I did with freshman coursework (which, as with you, included Honors courses). Looking back, I didn't have to work all that hard freshman year to make good grades, while I was studying hours every night during senior year.

However, your school may be different and it might be all downhill from here. I doubt it though. Once you get to Organic Chemistry and, eventually, upper-level coursework for your major, I'd expect an increase in difficulty.

17 credits is only one or two above average. "Considered difficult" depends how well known your university is.

Freshman year is one long, often painful preparation for the rest of college.

Allocate more time to Honors gen chem. Also try to change your study habits so that you're actively learning the material. Your coursework will most likely get much tougher as you go higher up. Don't freak out over 1 B.

Older students (pre-meds in the same major as me) have told me that the worst grade that they have received in a class was in the class I got a B in. Is that a good sign?

The class is seriously difficult. It is first semester general chemistry. It starts off with quantum mechanics!!

Older students (pre-meds in the same major as me) have told me that the worst grade that they have received in a class was in the class I got a B in. Is that a good sign?

The class is seriously difficult. It is first semester general chemistry. It starts off with quantum mechanics!!
I'm willing to bet a lot of gen chem classes in good schools start out with quantum mechanics. That's how it is at Wash U.

If you can manage to make an A in every single class after this one, you will end up with a 3.9+. You are still in good shape. One, two, or even three B's (and maybe throw in one C) will not affect your chances at medical school.

I am getting an A (with relative ease) in all my other classes. I think all worked out for the best. If I work hard in my general chemistry class then I will grow stronger. In fact, I I cannot stand my other classes because they are starting to get a bit too easy. I got a 95% on a Midterm without even studying.

I am getting an A (with relative ease) in all my other classes. I think all worked out for the best. If I work hard in my general chemistry class then I will grow stronger. In fact, I I cannot stand my other classes because they are starting to get a bit too easy. I got a 95% on a Midterm without even studying.

Just continue to do well, but don't get cocky :p You will make it if you put in the the time. 3.8+ if possible is a good bench mark

That's something i was worried about......... one day I will get arrogant and not study for a midterm and fail it

I had an F, a D, and several Cs. I scored a 35 on my MCAT and received an interview at a US MD school, I think you're okay.

So here is how this is broken down. I took AP Chemistry in high school and got a 5 on the AP test. Because of this, my school is forcing me to take honors chemistry, which is extremely difficult, and I am hoping to GOD that I get a B in that class. I am also taking 17 units. However, I am getting an A in all my other classes. Having said that, I think this semester is going to be not the best in terms of GPA, but it is going to gear me up for future semesters. So I can get straight A's and A-'s for now on. Any tips?

This IS a sincere post, so please don't be sarcastic
You're nervous now, but eventually you'll learn to accept that a B here or there ain't a bad thing. . . and it's actually normal.
Honor's chem may be a cake-walk compared to the courses you'll be taking later on, so assessing why you are not doing well in the current chem and making improvements will help you out in the long run.

Additionally, there should never be an excuse to do badly in a course just because you perceive it as being difficult. Else you'll just be consistently setting lower standards for yourself in the future when things just keep getting harder and harder. Just keep challenging yourself to do better.