A/C and Current Carrying Wire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stitchattack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't really encountered questions or passages on alternating current and current carrying wires. Honestly, I don't know so much about them except the formulas and some idea of the right hand rule, haven't used the right hand rule to figure out any problems so just know the "idea" of it. How much info do I really need to know about it? Also, are there any must do passages or must watch videos to get a better understanding of the right hand rule or these topics? I'm crunch on time but just want to be prepared since I don't recall seeing it in any of the aamc practice tests I've done. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really encountered questions or passages on...current carrying wires.

Well, every circuit problem is a current-carrying wire problem, and there are certainly a lot of those.
There isn't much to know. I would definitely practice the right hand rule a bit if you've never done it, both the one for particles and the one for current through a wire. For the particle one, make sure you can also do it with a negatively charged particle. Know that parallel wires carrying current in the same direction will attract each other (which you could derive using the wire-right hand rule). Also be aware of the application of the wire right hand rule to Lenz's Law (i.e. when you stick a conducting loop through a magnetic field). Know that the magnitude of the magnetic force of a current carrying wire = ILBsin(theta)...The magnetic field at the center of a wire loop is uI/2r, and the magnetic field around a wire is uI/2*pi*r ...also know the formula for the resistance of a wire = R = pL/A , where the p is resistivity.

That's about it for wires. As for AC circuits, know that the Maximum voltage = sqrt(2) * RMS Voltage. Same goes for current.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, every circuit problem is a current-carrying wire problem, and there are certainly a lot of those.
There isn't much to know. I would definitely practice the right hand rule a bit if you've never done it, both the one for particles and the one for current through a wire. For the particle one, make sure you can also do it with a negatively charged particle. Know that parallel wires carrying current in the same direction will attract each other (which you could derive using the wire-right hand rule). Also be aware of the application of the wire right hand rule to Lenz's Law (i.e. when you stick a conducting loop through a magnetic field). Know that the magnitude of the magnetic force of a current carrying wire = ILBsin(theta)...The magnetic field at the center of a wire loop is uI/2r, and the magnetic field around a wire is uI/2*pi*r ...also know the formula for the resistance of a wire = R = pL/A , where the p is resistivity.

That's about it for wires. As for AC circuits, know that the Maximum voltage = sqrt(2) * RMS Voltage. Same goes for current.

Thanks! I think the aamc took out the current carrying wires like solenoid. I checked their ps outline and didn't see it. That's a huge relief!

I haven't really encountered questions or passages on alternating current and current carrying wires. Honestly, I don't know so much about them except the formulas and some idea of the right hand rule, haven't used the right hand rule to figure out any problems so just know the "idea" of it. How much info do I really need to know about it? Also, are there any must do passages or must watch videos to get a better understanding of the right hand rule or these topics? I'm crunch on time but just want to be prepared since I don't recall seeing it in any of the aamc practice tests I've done. Thanks!
Also know a bit about their wave forms. Click this link and you will see the difference. Just know that AC current waveforms are different than DC. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/alternating-current-ac-vs-direct-current-dc.